#
It is currently Thu May 28, 2015 3:27 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: Celica fender mirrors, why so expensive?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:19 am 

Searched ebay for some genuine GSS fender mirrors for my corona, but came out empty handed.
What I found tho, was sellers trying to sell replicas and NOS celica mirrors for very high prices, as these:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/181685900415?nav=SEARCH
Why do people even try when these still are avaible through Toyota for about 200 bucks?
Stupid sellers or stupid buyers?

Post subject: Re: Celica fender mirrors, why so expensive?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:06 am 
Administrator

Unless something's changed, Toyota hasn't made these for a few years and has no more in stock (USA)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:47 am 

JNC wrote:
Unless something's changed, Toyota hasn't made these for a few years and has no more in stock (USA)

Hmm, okay. I found the part# online and called my local toyota dealer here in sweden asking if they could get them for me. He said that the mirrors was not listed as discountinued, but he wasnt sure they were available so I had to pay them when I laid my order. And then about 2 weeks later I could pick them up. Maybe just available in europe or something... Maybe I should buy some more :-P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:30 pm 

I bought a set 3 years ago from my local toyota dealer for 189 out the door. Went back a couple of months ago to get some for my sons RN10 Hilux and nope, nada, zilch, zero, and don't know when, if ever, they will be back. What's in the warehouse is it for now.

Kane

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:54 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Toyotageek gave me the part numbers back in '08 and I ordered mine from an Illinois Lexus dealership. At that point in time, he'd mentioned the stock remaining in US warehouses was pretty low, which is why I ponied up the $160 or so (I really don't remember) despite having no use for them (at the time), because I knew I wanted a set.

I was also pretty annoyed at how chintzy and thin the plastic was, and some flaws in the casting, but that's a whole different story. :oops:

These are "NOS" insomuch as they're clearly relatively new reproductions. When/why they were made, I'm not sure, but these aren't 70s mirrors (if they really are, I'd be SHOCKED. Mine came in new bags, new boxes, and generally looked very, very new).

The prices seem to fluctuate- I'm seeing them for sale from $200 to $600, back and forth. Lower priced ones still appear on forums.

If you can get them where you are, I'd suggest buying some extras and selling them to fellow JNC'rs. :) I haven't used mine and am not sure I will at this point (I'm growing more partial to door mirrors), but others still want them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:47 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
If you can get them where you are, I'd suggest buying some extras and selling them to fellow JNC'rs. :) I haven't used mine and am not sure I will at this point (I'm growing more partial to door mirrors), but others still want them.

I'd like a set for my boys Hilux but may end up settling for knock off's. His truck should be finished by the time he is 16. He may end up breaking them off.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:47 pm 
JNC Fanatic

MainstreaM wrote:
Stationwagonguy wrote:

I'd like a set for my boys Hilux but may end up settling for knock off's. His truck should be finished by the time he is 16. He may end up breaking them off.

I'm definitely keeping mine whether I use them or not, but IMO, they don't seem like they could take much of a hit. The bases are on a spring and it'll move a bit, but a solid thwack and I'm pretty sure they'd shatter. If I use mine I'm thinking I'd likely fill up sections of them with epoxy. I'd rather they weigh an extra 3-4 pounds a piece than get broken. :/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:07 am 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Toyotageek gave me the part numbers back in '08 and I ordered mine from an Illinois Lexus dealership. At that point in time, he'd mentioned the stock remaining in US warehouses was pretty low, which is why I ponied up the $160 or so (I really don't remember) despite having no use for them (at the time), because I knew I wanted a set.

I was also pretty annoyed at how chintzy and thin the plastic was, and some flaws in the casting, but that's a whole different story. :oops:

These are "NOS" insomuch as they're clearly relatively new reproductions. When/why they were made, I'm not sure, but these aren't 70s mirrors (if they really are, I'd be SHOCKED. Mine came in new bags, new boxes, and generally looked very, very new).

The prices seem to fluctuate- I'm seeing them for sale from $200 to $600, back and forth. Lower priced ones still appear on forums.

Yes, you are right about the quality feels a bit cheap on these. Dont know how the old ones feels.

A bit off topi: How much is a chrome smiley bumper for 1977 celica worth in the states?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 pm 

Fege wrote:
A bit off topi: How much is a chrome smiley bumper for 1977 celica worth in the states?

Not much, Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:22 am 

john wrote:
Fege wrote:

Not much, Just send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly. :P

Haha, I can imagine. Not gonna happen ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:23 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Fege wrote:

Yes, you are right about the quality feels a bit cheap on these. Dont know how the old ones feels.

It depends on which bumper and for what model, how straight/rust free/etc it is. Liftback rears are probably the most difficult to source, being on the fewest cars and not having any US equivalent. Coupe rears are the same as US market '71-'72 bumpers, and us market '73-'74s are the same besides overriders that are easily removed and some exposed rivets, so less people are bent on getting non-US spec ones when the US ones aren't that bad.

Early coupe fronts are likewise desired, but not as much as the later flat nosed coupe/liftback fronts. Early coupes are the same as US '71-'72s so they exist here, and though US '73-'74s have notches in the bottom, again, they're not that terrible compared to the diving board, so the market is smaller. The later flat nosed ones, it seems the ones with turn signals in the bumper and the ones that don't have them are pretty much chosen on a personal preference, but there's no US equivalent so they're more desirable as well.

No matter what bumper you have, you better have mounting brackets with it too, or there's going to be a chunk of value taken out. The rears don't always have separate brackets, but the fronts do, and they're specific to each style of bumper.

Many in the US have gotten really tired of overpaying for bumpers and there's reasonably high quality fiberglass replicas available these days too.

Otherwise, it's on a person-to-person basis what is paid. Shipping is a huge chunk of cost so people will debate that as well, and if it needs to be straightened or rechromed, that's pretty f***ing expensive in the US these days.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:41 pm 

Stationwagonguy wrote:
Fege wrote:

It depends on which bumper and for what model, how straight/rust free/etc it is. Liftback rears are probably the ....

Thank you for your answer. This is a frontbumper, should be a flatnose one.
Yes, the shipping is always a bitch. I just ordered some things from rockauto for my corona. Shipping was more than the actuall items :(

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]