#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:28 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 pm 

datsunfreak wrote:
slownrusty wrote:
Only 700 of these cars sold in the US in FWD trim...

Cannot even find them on eBay anymore :(

There's plenty of B6T donors, just make your own. :wink:

Maybe so...B6T factory cars have:
1) 4 wheel disk brakes
2) Much better interiors
3) Better looking but subtle exterior aesthetics
4) Far better factory suspension (29mm front sway bars for example)

Just trying to contribute to the thread that asked on 25years and newer classics...not making your own hybrid version.
Cheers.

Yasin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:53 pm 

i drive the kids around in a Bluebird....ok Altima. This car is mostly overlook as a boring mid-ninties four-door that the hub caps fall off of{i have a theary about faulty hubcaps/lack of appreciation by the owners but that's long story.} Mine with a FWD ka24de and 5-speed is acually is a very good driver. It is faster and better handling than any of my past 240sx's and my current Frontier {w/ka} Anyway i still, and always will love these cars. i have big plans for this one, if the wife will ever give it back that is. Future classic? no. but to me i love the look/handling/drivetrain.
I recently bought it back to life with a 2k1 KA. It was my first car i really modded years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 pm 

Did your 240's lack wheels or something? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:46 pm 

TacoDelRio wrote:

nope, just a stock manual sohc, and an auto vert dohc. i did have a rb20 240 that was of course faster, but that doesn't go with what i was talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:58 pm 

CharlieBucket wrote:
i drive the kids around in a Bluebird....ok Altima. This car is mostly overlook as a boring mid-ninties four-door

Only overlooked because none of them look as good as yours. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 am 

CharlieBucket wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:

nope, just a stock manual sohc, and an auto vert dohc. i did have a rb20 240 that was of course faster, but that doesn't go with what i was talking about.

Somewhat surprised that your Altima handles better than your 240, is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:54 pm 

FWDs can handle fine... especially with balanced suspension tweaks and good wheels and tires like that Altima has.

http://www.myspace.com/abandonaugust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:27 am 

MR2's! mid-engined, forced induction, good looking two seater for the general (not super rich) public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm 

I look through this thread and agree with some selections and others I think to myself your've got to be kidding ! I think demand and market $ generally dictate whether a car is really a classic collectable, and no it doesnt need to be ultra expensive to be collectable. For example a Datsun 120Y in coupe or sedan form was worthless 15 years and isnt worth anything now... A diehard Datsun fan will disagree with me, but I generally agree with what motoring journalist thought about them when they were new... crap then and crappier now. A Datsun 180B was a good car in its day, but there isnt any real demand for these today either, same goes for 74 -> model Toyota Corona's and Mazda 929's. Alot of peoples selections are no more significant than those Ive just listed.... sorry for being harsh no offence intended :lol:

Some cars that were never officially imported to Australia such as the Toyota Soarer and Mazda 20B/13B Cosmos were all the rage 5 or 6 years ago, but have you ever tried selling one for anything close to what you paid for it in Oz?? In most cases you'd have to give them away for next to nothing. The only thing attractive about some of these cars is for engine transplants into real Japanese classics such as your 60's/70's Nissan GTRs, Mazda Rx3's, Datsun 1600 (510's) and 240Z's etc.

As for future modern classics my list partly comprises of the following
- late 80's early 90's Toyota Sprinter (AE86??)
- Nissan GTR's R32/33/34 because its undeniably King of the Track
- Subaru WRX STi especially 2 door variants
- Mazda Mx5 - modern day MG
- Honda s2000 because I own one :lol: claim to having highest HP per litre in its time
- Bathurst edition Toyota MR2's (maybe locally significant)
- Late model Toyota Supra turbo models (You can thank fast and furious), it also has real muscle car looks with real performance... in other words its not a hair dressers car !
- Late model Nissan Silvia turbos
- Mitsubishi Starion's, a often overlooked Jap muscle car with muscle car appearance.

The main problem I see with alot of 80's/90's Japanese cars is that most of them look very similar and boring. The example I used earlier... there isnt really much difference between a Soarer and a Cosmo cosmetically apart from badging. The 60's and 70's was great for auto makers, with new materials such as plastic becoming available, it changed the way manufacturers made components and parts. I think designers were given more freedom and it showed in what was produced... look at the body lines of cars makers from 30/40 years ago. You could easily distinguish a Mazda from a Datsun just by looking at body lines in the distance.

To become a classic in my eyes it needs to be able to make the people who owned them when they were relatively new vehicles reminisce about their youth. These are the people who will generally be buying them again in 15- 20 years time if we still have oil of course. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:54 pm 

gypsy wrote:
To become a classic in my eyes it needs to be able to make the people who owned them when they were relatively new vehicles reminisce about their youth.

I don't personally think it's what you "owned" as a youth, but what you lusted after and couldn't afford.

The coolest car when I was in high school was the AE86. Even at the time they were 5-6 years old, but still too rare and expensive for a high school kid.

In high school I had a '79 Datsun 210 (11th grade) and an '81 Corolla Liftback (12th grade). I still like both of them (since then have owned 3 210's, and 4 TE72's), but to me they will never really be a "classic" or extremely valuable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 am 

zukiru wrote:
FWDs can handle fine... especially with balanced suspension tweaks and good wheels and tires like that Altima has.

I know. Got a famous mountain road here, most of the "racers" use FF cars.

As for a classic... I'm a bit partial to the Starion, with the cute music and talking and general Japanese nonsense. :lol: ALMOST bought a white widebody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:37 am 

TacoDelRio wrote:
As for a classic... I'm a bit partial to the Starion, with the cute music and talking and general Japanese nonsense. :lol: ALMOST bought a white widebody.

ooh, i found this picture of a starion and i fell in LOVE with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:06 pm 

^ love that starion :tu:

i'd like to think that ST165 '88-89 & ST185 '90-93 Celica Alltracs will be future classics, but I don't think they'll ever achieve the same status & recognition as the SW20 MR2 Turbo, or even the AW11 MKI MR2 for that matter.

Even though there were far less Celica Alltracs imported to the US vs. MR2's & it was the 1st introduction of the 3sgte powerplant most people just aren't familiar with them - even people who are "into cars".
Can't tell you how many times I've had people ask how we made the car AWD & ones that want to argue that the car was never imported to the US. :roll:

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:44 pm 

I think your wrong regarding the AWD Celica's. In Australia they were sold through local dealers as GT4's. There rallying success with the spanish legend Carlos Sainz claiming 2 WRC championships with a GT4 will pretty much ensure these will be future collectables (In Australia and Japan at least). There is always a strong link between future collectables and Motorsport successes in my opinion.

I think the American collectors are generally more interested in local production. I see cars for sale in the US that would command good dollars in Oz and Japan yet sell for next to nothing in the US. If you werent on the other side of the world I'd consider importing a couple to add to my collection !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:09 pm 

^ i see your points & agree with them but in the US there aren't many people who know who Carlos Sainz is & what he did in WRC.

Celica Alltrac's (GT Fours) sell very cheap imho in the US especially given the low numbers that were imported & the fact that are not a whole lot of them left (in decent condition) with so many lost to accidents, fires, rust etc.
but like i said, the cars simply don't have the same status as SW20 MKII MR2's & will not have the same resale values.

Here are some numbers on ST185's imported to the US:

Model Year--Total
1990---------806
1991---------589
1992---------265
1993---------83
Total---------1743

Here are the claims of production by Toyota:
(10/86-09/89) ST165 - 26,500
(09/89-08/93) ST185 - 26,000 (5,000 RC Model)
(08/93-05/99) ST205 - ??,??? (2,500 WRC Model)

Export Numbers
Here are the number of GT-fours that were exported from Japan.
ST185:
9,000 - Europe
2,500 - North America
2,500 - Australia and New Zealand
1,000 - Other

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:52 pm 

Ditto. Rally isn't big in the US (which has it's good points). I've always wanted a GT-Four/Alltrac. Always surprised at how affordable they are. Get two, restore one to showroom stock or near it, and rally the other! 8)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 56 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3