#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: i'm stump on a trade offer, advice? opinions? criticisms?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 pm 

i have a question for the people that's just browsing but aren't really interested in my car ...i need another opinion if that's possible

i have been offered a fairly stock carb starlet with less than 140k miles clean title ...i love those cars to death ...all the research i've been doing priced the starlets from 900 to 5000 ...i wanted to know if it's a fair deal ...im biased about this one cuz starlets is one of my favorite cars in the US

about my pricing, i actually don't know how to price my car ...i searched online but couldn't find one with a similar swap and similar problems ...so i took 1k off from how much i bought it for and decide to take a hit for all the stuff i've done to it to get the car to this point

my question is that do you think the starlet is a fair trade cuz the starlet is worth 4500 or is it a fair trade cuz my car isn't worth the 4500 ...or is it not a fair trade cuz mine is worth more ...or do you think that it's a good deal for me because his car is actually worth more than mine ...any help is appreciated

oh here's my post

viewtopic.php?p=112415#112415

and here's his car

thanks again for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:26 pm 

no matter what anyone says, it ultimately all boils down to this: are you (and the other guy) ok with making the trade? do you want the starlet more than the corolla? if you want it, and both parties are ok with it, do it. sorry I can't help with the questions about the value, but I just thought I'd chime in with that advice. in the end, it's all up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:19 pm 

No, don't be sorry. This advice helps a lot. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:25 am 

Take the deal. I have no idea what cars are worth over there but trading a non reliable Corolla with issues for a awesome looking retro Starlet would be something I would do (assuming the Starlet is in good running order). Given that the Corolla has been detuned (or infected, whatever word works for you) with a highly inferior Nissan engine and doesn't run properly I wouldn't think it would be worth $4500. I'd be suprised if that car sold for that amount over here, and typically cars tend to be a bit more pricey in Oz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:21 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I was questioning my price because I didn't how to base it on. But this helps me a lot. Merry xmas!!! Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:38 pm 

lotatoyotas wrote:
Given that the Corolla has been detuned (or infected, whatever word works for you) with a highly inferior Nissan engine and doesn't run properly I wouldn't think it would be worth $4500. I'd be suprised if that car sold for that amount over here, and typically cars tend to be a bit more pricey in Oz.

i wouldn't say the CA is an inferior engine, as the head design is actually superior to a lot of newer engines, aka no lame rocker arms..cam lobes for every valve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:01 am 

Haha, so that's you on craigslist.

Starlet definitely needs an engine swap... lol...

I'd say it's not an even trade. A corolla without the ricer tax, with a stock carb engine would be even but since you have a swap and mods it's not equal. Even still the "OMG look I'm Takumi" types out there hyped them all up, people think it's reasonable to pay that much for one. That Starlet is worth 1.5k tops, realistically. Your car, is probably worth about 2.2k realistically. Anything over that is ricer tax.

If you're looking to get out of the car because you can't deal with the issues, and absolutely need something to drive, reliably, then it might be worth it to concentrate on your schooling instead, and wait until you have time and money for a hobby like this.

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:24 am 

yea, I'm stuck. I'm really interested in cars but I only could touch it on weekends when I'm not in school or work. But I tried giving up the scene awhile back ago and something always naturally sucks me back in. I think that makes me picky. I want a car that interests me but also reliable. But all the cars that interest me aren't reliable. I always dreamed of owning a Datsun 510 but oh man, I wonder if it can survive the commute from school to hometown every weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:28 am 

Oh, I would love to do an engine swap on it, especially with that clean body. Problem is, most of my cars don't last me more than 6 months. I wanna finish my car list before I graduate. But if it treats me well, it's a keeper and I'm going to do research to see what my options are once I pay off my loans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:18 pm 

Once you're out of school with a good paying job... you'll be rollin' in excess of cars and car parts... lol... just gotta hang on until then.

Why are cars only lasting you 6 months though, are you beating on them, or are you buying junkers and not giving them enough attention to nurse them back to health??

Any car can be reliable... well damn near any... all it takes is the proper maintenance. 510's can definitely be reliable, same with Corolla's and Starlets, just need to replace the worn out parts.

-Robert

My Build/Pic thread

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:49 pm 

oh, i have a list of cars i wanted to own before i graduate ...well, more like a list of attributes ...this is what i'm still missing

my first 4 wheel drive
first american
i need a mercedes to finish my euro cars
im missing subaru, honda, and mitsubishi to finish off my major japanese (i'm thinking about holding off my mitsubishi until i own my permanent car, which is an evo)
a mid engine or rear engine
a v6

i think that's it. i pretty much want to own all the attributes before i settle with my permanent car

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]