heres my datsun 510 sss build. EnjoyHistory
My friend bought this Datsun in 2005, he wanted to get into the hobby at the time and realised that finding time to do this was not happening. He basically just put everything together and put it on his shelf where it would stand for another 7 years.
I have not seen him since 2008 and in 2012 I hooked up with him again and while sitting in his room i saw the Datsun winking at me dunno , something in me said you have to have this in your collection, would make for a cool build. I asked what's the deal with the 510 and he said , nah just put it together and a few parts missing. I asked how much for it. He said take it and make it look good .
So after not turning down that deal... he brings out the box and i pack it in there. While heading home I got to brainstorm (it's a 30 minute drive) and the very 1st idea was to make it a period race car. As the original seats were missing and suspension hacked and bits and bobs missing, it would only make sense to turn it into a race car.Direction
This will have a full body restoration and cleaning up of trim pieces that will be used. Further more its going to have some weathering here and there. I still have to choose what colour scheme. garageHEART 's colours are white; black and red...so im leaning towards a white car or maybe a two tone (white/red) yet keeping that 1970's feel.The Build
Above: This is where it stood for close to two years collecting dust. garageHEART mechanic draining fluid/s
Above: Then we moved it onto the hoist where the suspension will get stripped. Body seems rough but hopefully we can get it back to its former glory (if it ever had one)
Above: This will be the last time we will see it looking sad.
Above: We then pushed the EG9 into the corner, test fitting the Spoon b16b stroker engine. The body seems badly damaged , but this will be garageHEARTS 90's era track car
Above: Straight out of the paint booth, one of the guys at garageHEART started flatting some imperfections ready for clear.
Above: The chosen colour/color scheme can be seen here. I think it came out really well
Above: Pic from above
Above: Random pictures
(above) Period correct race seat arrived, was very worn (i weathered it abit to make it look worn out) but added character to the old Bluebird.
(above) test fitting the seat and weathered the interior. Also stripped out the interior
(above) added photo-etched bonnet/hood pins. I love this detail
and started on making the paint looked chipped and like it was brush touched. very subtle but its there.
(above) how it looks with the race interior fitted. You can see i fitted Takata harnesses and a period correct roll-cage.
(above) finished up the interior
(above) getting the final parts fitted
(above) waiting for the rear lights to be fitted
(above) random interior pic
(above) first start up
(above) pulled it to the other side of the shop
Thanks all for looking, feel free to criticise and comment.