#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm 

Kuroneko wrote:
Just make sure you can get the right 10x1.5 Watanabe style nuts at the same time if possible.

FWIW, I had trouble sourcing lug nuts for my N600 (same size), so instead we redrilled the hubs to use a 12mm stud. :P

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:28 am 
JNC Enthusiast

^ A number have done this, for the reason obtaining longer M10 studs to suit alloys (typically +15mm) can also be problematic. Spacers for S600/800 are also available with both M12 studs, and a more viable PCD to assist as well. Especially as they bolt up with OEM hardware, and then present a 114.3PCD at M12. If you do not mind the concept of spacers, then its a good option. I was lucky to be able and source M10 +15mm studs, and matching RS Watanabe M10 nuts (though not in black)...

Today I wired in a loom extension from the accessory feed for radio / MP3 player, and 12V-to-USB power adapter for telephone navi charging. Though the radio was only half sized DIN deep, with the wires for the 12V outlet, the radio antenna feed, and the MP3 to FM modulator, it was a tight fit getting it all into the center console. Lucky there is also a little extra space in front of the main console space, which is where the MP3 to FM modulator went.

A few months ago, I bought a semi-matching driving light switch for \500 (far right on switch panel), and it was installed to turn the MP3 FM modulator on and off. Turned on it blanks out the FM antenna feed and stops interference with the incoming FM radio signal. While the style radio does not really suit the car, its all black simplicity provides simple mono radio and MP3 for those stuck-in-traffic needs. Quite happy with the overall look and results, especially as the single speaker sounds reasonable when installed into the larger housing of the center console, and I did not need to take up any more interior space with stand-alone speakers. I was also surprised just how easy the DIN-style radio (as opposed to a shaft-mount) installed in the S; rear space & wiring issues aside, it was a breeze with the center console and body frame mounting-up as if it was designed that way. Not bad for a mere \2500 investment.

The manual-wind aircraft clock will have to wait for another day, as it required further cutting of the console panel to the rear of the ashtray, not visible, but I could not take the Dremmel to it quite yet. Pity, as I would have preferred to have it installed over the radio, not least of which is because it has a 12 minute stop watch timer, keeps perfect analog time on one wind for eight days, and just looks so damn sexy... I will however see if I can source a totally hacked up console, and use that. Neko.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:29 pm 

I love this car so much...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:07 am 
JNC Enthusiast

john wrote:
I love this car so much...
Thanks! Work the last few weeks mainly consisted of boring-in-photographs finishing the radio & MP3 player installation & tidying up wiring in a few places, a lot of excused to go for drives, and adjusting front license plate to a more typical kyusha-style angle instead of the very un-hip vertical. We've got a good whack of days off in the new year, so I hope to attack replacing the opening weather seals then. Neko.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 pm 

In for the pics. :tu: :tu:

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:17 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

My OEM Mitsuba winker relay can was running a little slow, and very quietly at that. So in passing an old auto electrician this last week, the owner & I went through their old stock boxes and sourced a same mounting replacement - the S800 has a nice three-in-a-row (L>R; headlight, winker, hazard) mounting on the interior bulkhead, and the replacement can needed a top mounted right-angled tab. The Hella part fitted perfectly, and the three-pin connection just needed to be translated from German to Japanese...

Result - for only \1000 instead of the exact S800 replacement at \5000, a nice steady even on / off, with a great retro toinka-toinka sound. Neko.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:45 am 
Mild Cam

It's amazing how much you take the turn signal chime for granted. When my RX7 caught fire, the HHR I was given as a rental had the most delightful toy piano sound for its blinkers, but every other HHR I've driven has the familiar clicking tone. One of the few memorable attributes of an otherwise unremarkable car.

1988 Mazda RX-7
Ex-JNCs: 1980 Datsun 510, 1979 Mazda RX-7, 1986 Mazda RX-7, 1992 Mazda Miata

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:51 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Camshaft wrote:
It's amazing how much you take the turn signal chime for granted.
Now you mention it... In buying the replacement, the old dude in the shop knew which cans made the nice noises, and which were quiet. Hence the Hella - which means my S800 now sounds like a Karmann Ghia. The Mitsuba has isolation rubbers on its mount to minimize contact with the body, and hence noise too. I assume the basic contact design has less noise as possible, and the rubber mount to further keep it to a minimum. Honda obviously thought this necessary at the time, and likely why replacements are expensive.

I'll keep the old one and its 40 years of dust, as being electro-mechanical it is possible to remove base, clean contacts, and retension relay armature. I'll save that for a really rainy day though... Neko.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Not that they really bothered me, but the black plastic replacement wiper blades looked a bit off. Especially against the rest of the chrome fittings. They did not properly fix to the wiper arms either. Available from a UK supplier (http://www.texautomotive.com) are OEM-style chrome blade holders. Though made in England, I assumed if there was one thing the English could actually make well, it would be wiper blades.

Reasonably priced, with only slight modding needed - opening up the mounting peg hole - they clicked into place easily, and seem to work well. At least they look a bit more period appropriate. Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

Hi Neko. So is this grey S800 of yours imported from UK?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 pm 

Car looks great! Can't wait to drive it around Tokyo. Haha.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

sukun wrote:
Hi Neko. So is this grey S800 of yours imported from UK?
Yes. Or, repatriated home I suppose...

moominsean wrote:
Car looks great! Can't wait to drive it around Tokyo. Haha.
Do not laugh there buddy, as I am sure I will be in Chicago behind the wheel of a Hako before then! Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:15 pm 

I'm wondering if Im going to import a S800 to Japan, will it be problematic?
I suppose it won't be that troublesome compared to other cars that weren't manufactured in Japan originally.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 am 

Kuroneko wrote:
Camshaft wrote:
It's amazing how much you take the turn signal chime for granted.
Now you mention it... In buying the replacement, the old dude in the shop knew which cans made the nice noises, and which were quiet. Hence the Hella - which means my S800 now sounds like a Karmann Ghia. The Mitsuba has isolation rubbers on its mount to minimize contact with the body, and hence noise too. I assume the basic contact design has less noise as possible, and the rubber mount to further keep it to a minimum. Honda obviously thought this necessary at the time, and likely why replacements are expensive.

I'll keep the old one and its 40 years of dust, as being electro-mechanical it is possible to remove base, clean contacts, and retension relay armature. I'll save that for a really rainy day though... Neko.

I have a suggestion

...if the diameter of the hella flasher relay is the same with the mitsuba model, you can easily interchange the casing. its made of aluminum and held in place with crimps at the bottom that is if you want to make the new flasher look OEM.

The mechanism inside the flasher relay is thermo electric. a piece of metal is heated up makes contact and when it cools down seperates from a switch.

Or if the diameter is different you can transfer the old bracket to the new one and rivet it to the casing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:41 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Jetto wrote:
...if the diameter of the hella flasher relay is the same with the mitsuba model, you can easily interchange the casing. its made of aluminum and held in place with crimps at the bottom that is if you want to make the new flasher look OEM.
Thanks! I had not thought of that. The Hella mounts the same as the Mitsuba anyway (same same bracket), and I care not too much about OEM look, but putting new insides inside the old can would indeed be a good solution!

You could of course take it further and not use an electro-mechanical relay set, but an IC-controlled modern timer too. In the old Mitsuba case, it would look OEM, but be more reliable and make a modern sound. This would also be needed if you wanted to use LEDs as well, and also applicable to any car with update needs.

I like the Hella sound, bolted straight to the body it is almost possible to hear it over the engine noise off idle... Neko.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

The original S800 horn is a huge, heavy, moderately loud device. Mine above, was OK, kind of performing like it looked. OK, but not brilliant.

Ten minute job to replace with modern high / low set. The S800 is wired for two horns from the factory, and for less than half the price of just the bracket needed to mount two OEM-style, the new type bolted up nicely. To say the car makes a lot of noise now would be an understatement - the modern high / low set making a noise well above expected, a good improvement for a small car. Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:59 pm 

Now you just need to set the horn to "general lee"!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm 

I like the green 'On - OFF' knob on the battery. Might try to source one over here...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

moominsean wrote:
Now you just need to set the horn to "general lee"!
And put a big '01' on the door?
kess wrote:
I like the green 'On - OFF' knob on the battery. Might try to source one over here...
They are a great idea; both making safe to work on electrics quickly, and eliminating any current drain when parked for long periods. Provided you have the space, \1000 well spent! Neko.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 pm 

Kuroneko wrote:
kess wrote:
They are a great idea; both making safe to work on electrics quickly, and eliminating any current drain when parked for long periods. Provided you have the space, \1000 well spent! Neko.

Yeah that is a nice idea...particularly here in the winter when a car would get less use. Will have to hunt some down for the future Hako.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 106 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next