Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 74 mazda repu build

74 mazda repu build

so ive decided to start this build thread to show how far my little truck has come. you'll see that its not exactly stock anymore. and im sure most of you will hate me. just know i love j-tin i just cant work on rotarys.

this is the first picture i ever saw of the truck, it had a blown 13b and no transmission

and the intirior as i recieved it, note the extra tachometer, gauge pod blocking the shelf under the glove box and badly cracked dash.

i didnt take any pictures of the build as i honestly didnt think to take them, but lets just say this was a tight squeeze. (the quick and dirty way)

its a GM 305 smallblock V8 with a TH350 auto transmission, i linked it to a ford 9inch rear end with a custom drive shaft.

this is the engine now after some cleaning up, new distributor, some paint and ceramic coated block hugger headers.

i also did a lot of intirior work, fixed the cracked dash and recovered it and the doors in brown sued, later i decided it was too much brown and dyed the doors black leaving just the dash the brown color. the bench seat will get a new black fabric covering as soon as i find the time.

the truck as it sits now with new black grill and very wide stance. i still have a lot of work to do but this is the culmination of countless hours, blood, sweat and beers.

and finally the emblem i made that is the only clue to whats under the hood, you can see in the picture i aged it to fit with the truck

thank you for checking it out, many more mods to come!

Re: 74 mazda repu build

Why didn't you just find a B series of the same vintage and cut up one of those instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    Why didn't you just find a B series of the same vintage and cut up one of those instead?
    believe it or not there was no cutting involved in this build, fire wall, trans tunnel and frame are all 100% intact :tu: . and nothing i found had the charm of this truck. when i found the truck it had been left to rust so i figured better have it on the road with a v8 than dying with a 13b haha

Quote Originally Posted by repuman74
    believe it or not there was no cutting involved in this build, fire wall, trans tunnel and frame are all 100% intact :tu: . and nothing i found had the charm of this truck. when i found the truck it had been left to rust so i figured better have it on the road with a v8 than dying with a 13b haha
    <RickyBobby> With all due respect, the fact that you couldn't figure out three moving parts and did the requisite smallblock chebby swap makes you look kind of like a hillbilly. </RickyBobby>

Uhm, the outside looks quite nice, though. :tu:

<RickyBobby> With all due respect, the fact that you couldn't figure out three moving parts and did the requisite smallblock chebby swap makes you look kind of like a hillbilly. </RickyBobby>

Uhm, the outside looks quite nice, though. :tu:
    :wink: classy with the name calling. saying "with all do respect" does not make calling someone a hick okay. to be honest I didn't want to spend insane amounts of money rebuilding an engine that in the end wouldn't have nearly the same power or torque as a stock V8 (i know the argument "they can make insane power, just look at the 20b" and yes they can, again if you feed them money by the bucketfull), its reliable, gets better MPG than the stock rotary (with a 4 barrel holly 650cfm) and cost me next to nothing. and you calling me a hillbilly makes you look like a pretentious miser. have i criticized your car?

I was kidding, dude. Like you said, it's better running and driving than languishing in someone's yard. :wink:

I was kidding, dude. Like you said, it's better running and driving than languishing in someone's yard. :wink:
    agreed :tu: sorry about that, ive just gotten nothing but hate since i built this thing. you dont get that with other engine swaps, people would probably accept it if i had any kind of japanese motor put in. funny thing is that the truck wasn't even sold in japan, and died out because of its terrible gas mileage 13-16mpg depending on where you look.

agreed :tu: sorry about that, ive just gotten nothing but hate since i built this thing. you dont get that with other engine swaps, people would probably accept it if i had any kind of japanese motor put in. funny thing is that the truck wasn't even sold in japan, and died out because of its terrible gas mileage 13-16mpg depending on where you look.
    My RX7's fuel economy is EPA rated Hilarious city/Depressing highway.

I love it.Would love to see a vid of this thing running.

And that V8 mazda badge is a cool idea. Well done and all the best with it.

Needs more Buick 455 Stage II.