Thread: Value of an SM600? What to look for?

Value of an SM600? What to look for?

Hey,

I'm currently looking at purchasing a 1966 SM600 (roadster, not a coupe) that is an older restoration (approx 10 years ago). I will be looking at the vehicle this weekend and will check out everything I would normally be looking for but what else should I be looking out for? Problem areas with these cars, etc? Also (and I know this is basically impossible to answer without a lot more detail) what is a good general price range for a restored but driven car? No major mechanical faults, master cylinder (brake and clutch) need to be rebuilt, carbs are being rebuilt now, seats, door panels have been recovered, pretty new top, etc.

Just trying to ballpark what the car is worth so I'll have an idea when I'm looking at it.

Thanks!

Re: Value of an SM600? What to look for?

ill give you $8000. lmk

I'm not selling it, looking to buy it

Not-so-nice but complete cars have been selling in the $15-$20K retail range over the last few years on BaT. Restored examples rarely come to market, but I would imagine they would fetch $25-$30k. Cars owned by Jenson Button fetch $50K. Cars without engines have only parts value.

[First if at all possible make sure the car is complete, everything in place, hard to find parts for these cars and very expensive also. Remove oil cap from engine and inspect cam chain guide roller for wear, take a small flash light with you will help with this. these cars are known to have carb problems, starter problems, any loud noises when cranking the engine is going to be a problem, sometimes the splines on the front of the crankshaft can wear and then you are talking about a major repair on the end of the crankshaft, the engine is full of orings and many different sizes, subject to leaks, look for rust at the bottom of the fenders and inspect inside the fenders for rust spots, the fenders are spot welded on and rust develops behind the fenders also. Engine rebuilds can cost up to 6-8K, ask for history on any engine repairs, parts replaced and so on, good luck.

Also is the car black with mini lite wheels and for sure is a RHD model