Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1980 RX30 Cressida 1UZ

1980 RX30 Cressida 1UZ

Hey guys thought I would finally join here. I do a lot of reading from it and thought I may be able to add some advice from my build to others in the fellow old car enthusiast world

So basically I brought the car bog standard mid 2011 and got into it. Had always loved this model so sold my GX71 and amazingly found this the next day local. Meant to be.

First thing I did was lower it with cutties(was very temporary) and added some 14x6.5 SSR Longchamps.

I then cleaned up the interior and proceeded to rip the old 18R and auto out.

Purchased some brand new BC coilovers for GX71 Cressida and bolted them in the rear. Direct bolt in shocks and springs.

Upgraded the brakes from RX30 to GX61. The lower arm was 10mm longer so added a little camber but if you bolt in all the arms its a direct bolt in. Aslo the bottom of the shock that bolts to the lower arm is different from GX61 to RX30 so make sure you use the GX61 shock base if you are doing this.

I then ripped back into the engine conversion.

Series one 1UZFE with Series 2 wiring(first motor was a series 2 and lunched itself on startup)
    Crown mid sump. I wanted to get the engine back as far as I could and seeing I had a 18R in there the crossmember is opposite to the M series Cressidas I needed a mid sump to get in between the steering arm and crossmember. Had to do a slight rear notch to clear the steering arm..
    W50 5 Speed manual box
    1UZ auto bellhousing with adapter plate. Added pivot point and clutch fork for the clutch setup.
    Log headers
    Black painted rockers and intake

While all this was going down I was getting my Longchamp outter rims re made and widened.

Car was wired, exhaust, fender mirrors and RX7 oil cooler added etc, then certified for New Zealand roads. And the finished result Im in love with my car haha.

So there she is finished for now. The next on the list over the next 2 months for a track day in september.

F series diff setup added from a Carina
    W55 gearbox to handle drifting
    Maybe upgrade the radiator. It is doing a great job but might not like the track.

I will update as I do some more things to her. Also pictures and footage when I hit the track for some more drifting in September going to plan. Main aim is to be drifting her reliably before an event here in November called Powercruise.

PS I am on a huge hunt to find my dream car, the wagon version one of these. Once I find one this will be sold(very regretfully) to fund the wagon. Plan to 1UZ VVTi turbo the next one.

Sorry for all the pics and the very brief build process but if anyone has questions if they want to do this I can add more. Keep in mind this doesnt have power steering or IRS. If the 1UZ was dropped into a power steering version it is a lot easier.

I love it and highly recommend this conversion

Nathan

Re: 1980 RX30 Cressida 1UZ

Cheers mate yeah love the 1UZ. Could get power out of a 1J or 2J but nothing like a cool NA for an old car. Yours will be bloody nice when its done.

:tu:

what is the GX71 equivalent car in the US? I want that rear suspension setup.

Love those wheels, just what I wanted to do with my Longchamps whats the new specs on them?

This car is really cool, very understated and not over the top. I love it! Post some pictures of it sideways. :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by pagong
    :tu:

what is the GX71 equivalent car in the US? I want that rear suspension setup.

Love those wheels, just what I wanted to do with my Longchamps whats the new specs on them?
    I know the Jap spec is the MX73, unsure if thats what you guys have? BC Coilovers in the states make them for this model. http://bcracing-na.info/

They were 14x6.5+11 and I got the outer lips re made to make then 14x8 and 14x8.5. I cant remember the offsets but it was something like -51 and minus -39 or something crazy :lol: Tires are 195/45/14

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    This car is really cool, very understated and not over the top. I love it! Post some pictures of it sideways. :tu:
    Cheers dude. I had a image in my head and had to stick to it. Had a lot of help from friends here to get the build done so quick.
    I was into drifting a few years back quite a bit but it went on hold when 2 boys came on the scene(kids).Always wanted to hit the track again. I didnt build it for drifting, but looked at this one day and thought, "Hang on. 1300kg, manual, 1uz, coilovers... whats stopping me from hitting the track in this??"

I have since put the oilcooler behind the grill as it was not the best mounting position and was grinding on the road. Will make its was back out the front when I get the time to make mounts for it. Will also run some 15's as the tires are cheaper to pop and these 14 inch wheels wouldnt take to kindly to ripple strips. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by NathanRX30
    I know the Jap spec is the MX73, unsure if thats what you guys have? BC Coilovers in the states make them for this model. http://bcracing-na.info/

They were 14x6.5+11 and I got the outer lips re made to make then 14x8 and 14x8.5. I cant remember the offsets but it was something like -51 and minus -39 or something crazy :lol: Tires are 195/45/14

Excellent thanks.

These cars can really swallow alot of negative offsets. Love your car, just like what Camshaft mentioned, its not over the top.

Had an old guy the other day (about 45) pleed with me to not change anything about the car. He must have thought I had just brought it and would make it modern and gay. He got a big smile when I told him I had built it like this and this was the final result. I have since noticed two R32 GTR's in his shed when I drove past last so he knew what my car was. Glad she pleases young and old haha.

Made this for a mate when I finished it. Had a buggered gearbox in it which has since been replaced. Couldnt change to fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJHMRgQ4WfI

Old 80's style

this is very close to where i'd like to go with my x3. great build...

this is DAMN awesome !!!