Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front bump stops AND bump steer issues..

Front bump stops AND bump steer issues..

just discovered that my car sits so low that it actually sits on the front bump stops, which explains why the front is SO damn rough..

has anyone removed theirs, or found an alternative to this?? am i the only one who sits this low? it doesn't even seem that low to me.

maybe i should pull them off and see who much clearance i have. i pulled the rears off because of this too, the rear is so much better now, it actually has a little movement, and handles better.

i have some horrible bump steer right now, anyone know ways to work out bump steer problems?

Re: Front bump stops AND bump steer issues..

yep, bump steer spacers

AKA roll centre adjustors

Ya that is what I did on myt hako. I made like 4 extra sets but if you are useing stock brakes then they will have to be ground down a little for a clearance issue with the rotor.

I ditched the stock bumpstop in mine, and am using a conventional bumpstop in the shock:

I don't think I have the clearance to run the bumpstop spacers (I run 14in wheels) but I don't have any issues with bumpsteer. Get your alignment checked, and have a look at your ball joint and tie rod end wear. If say, you have a little bit of slop in the joints and it's toeing out at the same time, it'll wander all over the road.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Yea, mine wanders ALL over the place, i need to do a lot of front end work. i think that first thing i should do is build a set of coilovers for it, but MAN.. i dont want to cut the front strut housings up and mess it up.. im pretty sure they are gonna be a PAIN to replace if anything goes wrong with the build

i see they come in many different sizes, how do you know what size you need?? (roll centers adjusters)

and you said you made extras, are you selling them?

Hey Tim

In case Reid is out of his, I bought a set from T3 and won't be using them cause they hit my MK63 vented rotors...
    The one's T3 sell are about 1" thick and anodized dark red - you can see them on his site...

IF I can get RCAs to work on my car, they would need to be about half as thick IMO...

Reid's struts came out pretty damn nice... maybe he can offer some advice? at the end of the day you guys are only separated by us priority mail - not INTERNATIONAL mail... thanks to your line of work! The adjustable sleeves he used look like the cleanest ones i've seen short of a full threaded housing...

Depending on how involved you want to get with your suspension, there are other options...
    On the Z, I had the LCA pivot moved up & out about 3/4" with a new hole obviously drilled / strengthening plate welded into front subframe... that car has T3 adjustable LCAs for track width to help even everything out... I've seen similar adjustable LCAs for sale for Hako's too...

BUT if you make the switch to spherical / rose joints and plan to continue driving your car on the street it will feel a bit rougher than running stock rubber, or poly bushings...

Let me know,

-e

Here you go. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19003

The biggest decision to make on the coilovers is determining which strut insert you want to use. MR2, AE86 or any of the aftermarket Z car options. Once you determine which insert, the rest falls into place. The strut is cut down to accommidate the insert. The coil perch is welded in place as dictated by the length of travel the strut insert allows. Spring rate also plays a part but is easily interchangeable after the strut body is built.

Good news is there are many proven combinations for an L powered (engine weight) car. Spring rate, strut insert and brake options are all bolt ins.

I would square up the steering issues before tackling the coilovers. Coilovers are not going to solve a loose or worn out steering setup.

DeRux, how thick are your bump steer spacers?

The thicknees of a bumpspacer all depends on how low you are going. The main reason for these is to get your lower arms back so the they are level with the ground or pointed a little downwards. For my DR30 because it is low this ment I need to make inch and a quarter thick ones (1.250). The average spacer is one inch thick.

The spacers I built for the hako are 1.00 thick as are the extra set I made. I did have some issues with them hitting my brakes too. I have to grind them flat on the side closer to the rotor. I also had to grind down the steering knuckle (thing that strut bolts to) cause it hit the rotor too.

The best way to see if you need some of these spacer is to look under your car and see how youe LCA's look.

Tim,

Adding to what Reid said: thickness of RCA's limiting factor is going to be your rim diameter...

The thicker the RCA, the closer the lower ball joint grease nipple gets to the inner rim... maybe measure that dimension first to get an idea what the maximum you can get away with is... then worry about how close the RCA gets to the back side of your brake rotor

-e