Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Toyota Corona Mark II Wagon Build

1973 Toyota Corona Mark II Wagon Build

Recently picked up a new wagon to keep my Cressida wagon company, a 73 Mark II from fellow JNC member jzcelica. Here's his original thread with the car http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...ic.php?t=13570

Have to thank jz for doing a lot of work getting the car roadworthy again while he owned it. From gutting the emissions and adding a Weber to swapping in a solid W58 5-speed to lowering it and rolling the fenders, he did a great job providing a solid platform of a car.

Here's how she looked when I picked her up, on the stock wheels.

First project was swapping steering wheels. The stock one had seen better days and the horn was not working. I'd love a Nardi, but this is a budget build, so I turned to Momo. Found a NOS Momo adapter for the car, but the son of a bitch didn't fit. Had to bust out the Dremel and after a sparks show, it fit perfectly. The horn contact was broken and one of the blinkers wouldn't stay on. Both problems were due to the old plastic, but I got it sorted out.

As for which wheel, I wanted to do it on the cheap, and found a funky OEM Sabb 900 Turbo Momo wheel I thought fit the car (and the budget at under $50). A new Momo horn button and it was ready for mounting. Now when it's Nardi time, I just need an adapter ring and we're good. Wheel has been polished a bit since the pic was taken.

Also bought a few things like a NOS 80s plastic JNC badge (got one for the Cressy, too), a subway hanger, some stickers, clutch pedal cover, a vintage license plate holder (doesn't fit!), and a spare set of emblems (the Corona ones are missing on the car right now).

After hemming and hawing for weeks looking at various wheels on eBay, I decided to pull the trigger on some 15x9 0ET Rota Shakotans. Not only did they match what was on the car earlier dimension wise, but they were pretty cheap and I got them with some Falken 205/50 tires mounted, a set of tuner lug nuts, and shipping for around a stack. I'll keeping looking for the right set of vintage barrels and rock these in the meantime.

Here's a quick shitty cell phone photo from today with the wheels mounted.

So that's how the car sits today. Should be another of my permanent projects. Needs an exhaust, a suspension work over, an oil leak fixed, some paintwork, a few dents pulled, a new dash pad, a sound system, tint, etc., etc., etc.

Re: 1973 Toyota Corona Mark II Wagon Build

:tu:

looks great!

This thing is so cool. Glad to see that it went to a good home.

Few more shitty cellphone snaps.

Not too aggressive.

Wagon life.

The full "Team Unintended Acceleration" chillin'.

Congrats! Its a very beautiful car!
    I am glad to see the new owner is also as much caring as the previous one...

Love the blue. that color makes me want one so bad. My wife says I would have to sell both celicas to buy a wagon. I want both :mrgreen:

When I saw the first picture I thought it was perfect, but you actually improved on perfection! Great work so far.

Not too much new to report.

Sourced some headlight goodies, just need to wait for the humidity here in swap city to drop to paint the highs, then we'll get everything done and mounted. Got a new set of tailights from a car here in Texas (they crushed her before I could save anything else :| ), I'll be cleaning those up and painting the surrounds, too. Not major updates, but I think they'll make a solid difference.

She's such a great car, always eager to start up and go for a cruise. Can't wait for cooler weather to arrive, as I've decided to keep the AC and PS off the car and it is balls hot right now.

Good to see that she is still running good and getting driven. I think about this car all the time :cry: ...

If you ever decide to sell it, I'd be glad to buy it back.