Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.

A Tokyo S800M Coupe.

I want to be this cool too one day...

A friend commented I should collate stuff on my S Coupe all in one place, rather than throw it anywhere as I've been doing, so along the lines of the big daddy of car-specific threads - the resident Hako - here's some stuff on a little gray Honda S800M Coupe (also known as a Mk 2 in some markets).

Having been built in late 1969, she was sold new in Birmingham as a 1970 model, and only 400 more cars followed. I am her forth owner, and the present objective after living in the UK for 42 years, is to get her in condition for a drive back to the factory where built. Undergoing shaken here.

Re: An S800M Coupe in Tokyo.

Rather than try and find a replacement radio blanking plate, I installed a radio. Though with no power, or speakers, it does nothing more than fill the ugly hole. Plus, to date, that glorious engine sound provides more than enough entertainment.

Love it, what a cool ride. 8)

Look forward to more updates.

While the OEM handle is glorious in style, it hits my legs getting in and out, so a period after-market was a nice 1:1 trade with a fellow driver.

Surface rusted floors under-going bitumen removal and repainting with POR15. Heck that's a messy, smelly, hot and dirty job.

Finishing rehoning rear brake pistons, and replacing piston cups (total price \3000), a new 'C' meter and sender were S800 delivered from Spread Tools. Using new internals, a rescreened face, and a new sender the Spread Tools version is more accurate and very smooth. Note the marking calibrations are a bit different over the OEM version. But, as there's a great gap in the safe zone, you get a better indication on active temp range.

In rebuilding the rears, I noticed two improvements over my previous classic (a 356) in that the shoe adjusting stars move in the same direction for leading & trailing (as opposed to different like a VW or Porsche which always confused), and you do not need to leave the driver seat to either top up fluid or lock-off the right rear bleeder - you simply lean out and reach both. Neko.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdajon
    Love it, what a cool ride. 8)

Look forward to more updates.
    Thanks! Warming up for a drive (according to the very specific owner manual a critical process for the S), presented a good photo op.

As did stopping at a local butcher.

Neko.

The M has supposedly US Federalized indicators and side-lamps, but for some reason the set fitted to my car lack the chrome bezel, giving them a cack-eyed, misaligned look. So I took a drive down to Yokohama meet some fellow enthusiasts to pick up a set from the Mk 1. To be fitted next weekend maybe.

With no deadening, no mats, and floor bungs removed, it was ahhh... 'interesting' with the noise and air flow, watching the Tomei speed by a few cm under my arse through the holes...

The OEM wheel centers have been made into 6 inch wheels (original 4.5 inch) to support 185/60 tires (original 155 I think). Rather wide for the little Coupe, and with the present ride height she sometimes looks like being Paris-Dakaar prepared.

With some surface rust on the wheels I either need to replace (Watanabe RS perhaps), or repaint with a more appropriate wheel paint. The body colored stuff has not weathered brake dust or weeping wheel cylinders well. Neko.

The carburetor rubber mounts appeared original and showed deep cracks, and as the hose clamps were bent and misaligned too, a new set of mounts & clamps were installed this last weekend. A job that was going to wait, but when I saw some parts on YAJ for cheaper than usual, I grabbed them. Old:

Clean the port faces. Largish I suppose for a mere 800cc, but churning over at 8500+ rpm, I suppose some volume is needed!

New mounts, O-rings, with a smidge of grease.

New stainless bolts...

New:

Next for the intake system fix those rusty pot screws, and some sort of motorcycle cone air-filters, or perhaps a rebuilt foam system for the original style... Neko.

Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.

I love these things
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Re: A Tokyo S800M Coupe.

best topic ever... loving every minute of it and i wish it were me.. one day..