Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 MX63 Cressida 5MGE to 7MGTE (picture heavy, new member)

1984 MX63 Cressida 5MGE to 7MGTE (picture heavy, new member)

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, though not to JNC or Toyota's.

I have been building an MX63 over the last 4.5 yrs.

Why so long? 5 layoffs, 4 girlfriends, 4 house moves, 2 kids and a high standard. bleh.

Anyways, I wanted to toss up some pics. It's actually pretty close to being done, maybe a few weeks away. All work (engine rebuild, fab work, etc) done by myself except the exhaust from downpipe back.

Anyways, I have a TSRM for X63 and X73 so I am happy to help anyone that needs it. I have met a lot of people who treat knowledge of their build as sacred and aren't keen on sharing. I am not that person.

Enjoy!

Start:

First pair of Stance GR+Pros on an X63

Rear trailing arms modified for standard 5.5" aftermarket coils:

After I got the engine running:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOxxBoGeYM

and when I took it for a spin:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u08QmCwtq4

Bad. Ass.

Looks friggin' awesome. Bad friggin ass!

Thats awesome!! Im picking up a mx63 tomorrow. I will probably have a ton of questions for you suspension wise..

Quote Originally Posted by fivehunsky
    Thats awesome!! Im picking up a mx63 tomorrow. I will probably have a ton of questions for you suspension wise..
    Beware; there are VERY few parts which actually bolt on. Most items I have are one offs.

7M swap is about the same as Celica Supra 7M swap; 5 speed swaps are easy. Front suspension is tough; either basic ground control stuff for $200 or my route which is much much more. Rear suspension I couldn't find anything, which is why I modified it to work with most aftermarket american springs (NASCAR spec, 5.5" x 9.5")

5 lug swap in front is probably do-able with X8 parts or converting to S13. Rear 5 lug is damn near impossible. Otherwise, find some 15 or 16's to keep you happy.

OH NOES!!! :shock: :twisted: :tu:

Im aware of the one off situation. Luckily I do some work at a local race chassis shop so I can get alot of stuff fabbed there for cheap. The owner, is a datsun fan so he helps me(and some other guys on here) out alot with fab stuff.

Yeah.. Ive got some advan sa3s to use on the street with some 4 to five lug spacers. I will probably buy back my sportmax's for when it gets tracked.

I already have everything to do a ground control style coil setup in the front. minus inserts. I read on here that you can use the 90's mr2 rear inserts in our stock fronts and they fit but are shorter. Works great for cutting the strut down. I hope its true because I dont want to have to look through a shock book for an hour to find the right insert for my needs.

I will probably do something similar to your rear setup as well.

It really bugs me about the no 5 lug option. I might find out about redrilling the hubs or something tho just because I want more brake and wheel options.

Question for you.. do the mark 3 supra seats use the same pattern? I found a nice set that match my interior for cheap and I was wondering if you have looked into that at all..

Anyway, your car looks great. Mine will probably look very similar with probably a blue two tone with the white on top.

Redrilling the rears to 5 lug isn't possible. The shape of the stub axle resembles a cloverleaf, so there isn't room for new bolt holes.

Shorter MR2 shocks are a popular option for the front if you choose to cut the struts down. Ford Focus front shocks are nearly identical for our rear, which is popular for the MK2 supra guys since you can get a KYB AGX to have some adjustability.

One MAJOR problem with X6 (and X7) rear suspension is that shorter springs will FALL OFF THE CAR if it un-weights. I am installing limiting straps in my design like WRC and prerunners.

If you look closely, there is nothing actually holding the spring in place. Stock spring uncompressed is something like 15" long. If you jack up the car and measure the spring though you'll get something like 14" because the axle is keeping the trailing arm from dropping too low and letting the spring out.

If you put in a shorter spring (say 10"), and then jack up the car the springs will fall out. This happened to a friends X7 in Chicago. He was at the track, hit some bumps sideways, rear end bounced and spring CAME OUT.

Short answer: Limit straps, roughly $30 each will make you much safer.

As far as seats go, I am not really sure what shares the bolt locations. I am probably going to pick up some used Skyline seats from a friend and have them reupholstered to match the stock interior.

Thanks for the info

:tu:

What about sway bars? Does anyone make them for the car? or are there any cheap swaps that work? Or have you even looked into them?

A company named Addco makes sway bars for it, surprisingly enough.

Front:
    1.125" Dia.

Rear:
    .75" Dia.

Summit racing, Jegs, etc. are dealers for Addco so you can actually order from them.

I am running 10k front, 9k rear springs so I don't think I will need to upgrade my sway bars. If I drop the rates down later on I may get a set but I don't know what the lead time is.

They also make endlinks, but Energy does as well (universal style)

Awesome!! Im glad you posted up on here. Your saving me alot of trouble haha..

After looking at your car I am more excited about mine now..

I was pretty stoked before lol