Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Mazda 1500 van/estate. Where to buy new ball joints?

1972 Mazda 1500 van/estate. Where to buy new ball joints?

Got myself a -72 1500 that was converted from van, with windows, to estate in 1975. 8)
    Bought it from the second owner, who bought it in -74, and it has been stored since early 90's.
    The old lady on the picture, is the owners wife, and it was her son that sold the car for her. She had many stories to tell about the car
    We loaded up, and drove the 100 Km home.
    Put in a battery in front, and a little gas on the tank, and turned the key ..... and it started immediately for the first time since it was stored in the garage in the early 90's.
    Everything works on the car, included all the interior lights when I open the doors and boot lid.
    The first plan now, is to maintain the brakes, ball joints and bushes, and get it registered ... Don't think that would cause any big problems. The rust on the car is pretty much only cosmetic, and nothing dangerous.

The owner's wife.

Opened the boot lid, and found out that the interior light worked

... And tried the front doors, and the lights worked in the front too 8)

I don't think this is a original back seat, since it was converted from van to estate ... anybody know??

In a plastic bag in the car I found 4 of these 13" hub caps .... from???? RX4?

And 4 of these 14" hub caps ... I don't have a clue!! Anyone??

Re: 1972 Mazda 1500 van/estate

Nice find.Looks to be in good condition,The front left guard looks a different colour.
    Also I spot a RHD dash in the back ground.

Very nice find! Looks like it should be straight forward to get back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ratmaz
    Nice find.Looks to be in good condition,The front left guard looks a different colour.
    Thanks!
    Yes, the guard have been repainted at some time, and the seller said that it was white when it was painted, but turned more into yellow trough the years.
    No, it's a LHD dash ... it's just up-side down! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave77
    Very nice find! Looks like it should be straight forward to get back on the road.
    Thanks!
    It runs very well, and there is not much work that has to be done to get it registered ... only the usual as brakes and bushings and so.... even the windshield-washer and interior lights are working perfect. 8)
    But I hope to find the time (and money) to give it a "make-over" too.... But plates first!!

Quote Originally Posted by kjetilB
    Thanks!
    Yes, the guard have been repainted at some time, and the seller said that it was white when it was painted, but turned more into yellow trough the years.
    No, it's a LHD dash ... it's just up-side down! :lol:
    haha ops:

Is there any rust in the front guards where the fender mirror is?

Only reason I ask is that mine have massive rust holes in both.

Is there any rust in the front guards where the fender mirror is?

Only reason I ask is that mine have massive rust holes in both.
    Thats why the left guard has been repainted at some time. The right guard isn't really bad, but has got a little rust there too.
    a front guard without rust in this area is really unusal, I think, because it's the brackets for the mirrors that causes the rust, when dirt and moist get caught between the guard and bracket.

The two dome lights above the doors, as opposed to one in the center, is a really unusual seup, but pretty clever. I suppose on a long trip your passenger could amuse themselves with a book or magazine (or help you read a map!) without disturbing the driver's visibility. I've really had a love affair with these cars ever since Stationwagonguy in Detroit picked one up. :tu:

At this time of year, it's difficult to get something done because of the temperature, and work have been really busy, so there are not much that has happened on my car, so I'm sorry for no updates
    But I have been lucky with some accessories for my car:
    Wooden steering wheel from 929HT and a set of 14" Ronal aluminium wheels for RX5 with pcd 4x120 from about 1976.

After driving 1100 km / 683,5 miles and spending 767 USD + fuel and hotel this weekend, I've got 8 "new" pcd 4x120 wheels in the back for my 1500's (the hotel-part was just to make my girlfriend happy, and make this trip possible .. :wink: )
    4 Ronal wheels from about 1980, bought new for a RX5 and
    4 original RX5 wheels, taken from the car on the pictures. A -76 Swedish RX5 Automatic with power steering and A/C.
    This one will be converted with turbo, RX7 gen2 manual box and hubs with 4x114,3 pcd from RX7, to fit the owners Rota Shakotan wheels.