Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will DSMs ever be JNCs?

Will DSMs ever be JNCs?

I had a non-running, half-disassembled parts car with no title that I traded for a '92 Eagle Talon, and I kind of like it. Since they were built in the USA, and very few were sold in Japan, will they ever become "nostalgic?" Or will they be stuck in limbo, garnering derision from both classic American car buffs and nostalgic Japanese car lovers? Will DSM owners be forever doomed to hang out with their own kind, watching "The Fast & the Furious" in a dark corner, wondering what might have been? Discuss.

Re: Will DSMs ever be JNCs?

That is a tough one..........between crappy craftsman ship, shotty electrical and crankwalk + FF, they might be doomed.

I owned a 91 TSi and couldnt stand the car. Interior was cheap and cramped for me. I might have been more happy with it if I could have ever got it to run right.

I think when more of the FF type owners get away from them then the car will have a chance of more respect from the import lovers.

+1

I'm looking at pictures for inspiration, and all of the modified ones I see are awful D:

Hi Cam,

I wasn't really sure what you were talking about and had to go a googling. :roll:
    A DSM Eagle Talon is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (or a Plymouth Laser?).
    First generation looks suitably retro-futuristic especially in two-tone white/black or gray/black.
    AWD turbo seems to be the one to have and I was surprised to read that it competed in racing and was even successful!
    Any chance of a photograph to see what you are working with? From a quick image search I think the clean look with a drop and a nice set of suitably '80's-tastic rims look best. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by ToolZ
    Hi Cam,

I wasn't really sure what you were talking about and had to go a googling. :roll:
    A DSM Eagle Talon is a Mitsubishi Eclipse (or a Plymouth Laser?).
    First generation looks suitably retro-futuristic especially in two-tone white/black or gray/black.
    AWD turbo seems to be the one to have and I was surprised to read that it competed in racing and was even successful!
    Any chance of a photograph to see what you are working with? From a quick image search I think the clean look with a drop and a nice set of suitably '80's-tastic rims look best. :lol:
    Toolz,
    Most compete in drag racing with the two fastest running either 7.70sec (1st gen) in the 1/4 mile and the other (RWD converted 2nd gen) that ran 6.9sec in the 1/4 mile.

The 1st gens are based off the 6th gen Galants, Especially noticable in the AWD cars, (suspension and drivetrain is practically identical, a few minor differences, due to vehicle length), while 2nd gens were based off the Dodge Avengers of the same years.

They aren't too bad of cars, but I wouldn't nessarily see them as true JNCs, nostalgic sure, but they weren't built in Japan like the rest of our cars, and very few were ever actually exported to Japan, several to Europe and I have even seen a couple 2nd gens in Dubai.

Crankwalk wasn't as big a problem as most made it out to be.

I had a 99 Eclipse NT and that shares more in common with a chrysler product than it does ever being near Japanese, it was honestly just a better styled dodge neon than anything lol.

What I've learned so far: DSM owners are douchebags, and their cars will likely never be considered JNCs. Anyone wanna help me swap this 4G into a box Lancer? :lol:

Would anyone be mad if I posted a build thread in the off-topic section?

Go for it. Figured that is what off topic is for. Off the wall shit like dsm's lol

RaptorReed - Cheers for info. I have seen a few 1st and 2nd Gen Eclipse in Dubai but not many. I had never heard of a DSM Eagle Talon or a Plymouth Laser though (every day is a school day ).

Camshaft - In a few years the 1st gen Eclipse will be considered nostalgic. Post up the build thread in the Off-Topic section and when it turns 25 it will be moved to the Mitsubishi sub forum. :tu:

(By that time you will probably be seen as the "Go-To Guy" for all things Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Laser. :lol: )

Quote Originally Posted by ToolZ
    (By that time you will probably be seen as the "Go-To Guy" for all things Eclipse/Eagle Talon/Laser. :lol: )
    DON'T PUT THAT DEVIL ON ME, RICKY BOBBY! :lol:

Well, if you don't I am going to come at you like a spider monkey. :mrgreen: