Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim's '72 hakosuka build/buy thread (YAY!) lol

Tim's '72 hakosuka build/buy thread (YAY!) lol

Ok, so i guess that I'm gonna start a thread on my car! LOL

how it came to be..

one day back in 2010 i was working really hard for the USAF and surfing Facebook, when a buddy pm'd me and asked if i knew anyone looking for a 70's skyline. I replied "Actually.. I would like to find one.

He said, i have a friend thats a broker and is selling one for a local guy, if you meet me at the gate later, i will take you by there.

later that evening, we drove less than 5 minutes from the base, down a few back roads, and ended at this really big house with a single car garage off to the side.
    when we pulled up, there were a few Japanese guys standing outside waiting for us. i was pretty nervous, if you don't know most older Japanese guys refuse to let a Gaijin take away their beloved Hakosukas. luckily this guy passed his down to his son, and he really wanted a hachi-roku, so i asked how much he wanted, and to my surprise it was much less than i had seen on the auctions. at this point, i hadn't even seen the car, but i had pretty much already decided that i was going to buy it just based on the low price.

the garage opened, and it was like in the movies where someone opens a box, or something and a brilliant light shines in everyones faces.. it was spectacular HAHAHA

this was the first Hakosuka i had ever seen in person, and it was much smaller than i had anticipated, and it was kinda bland. had no lip, or rear spoiler, it had some beefy rear tires, and flares, but the fronts weren't very impressive.
    pics: first peeks

more to follow!

Re: Tim's '72 hakosuka build/buy thread (YAY!) lol

Another build thread AWESOME! The more info out there the more I learn!
    Can't wait to see your progress.
    Jose

Glad to see the car you have been asking question for. Love the front seats and the gauges under the passenger side dash.

Awww, NICE!!

Paintwork looks in surprisingly good condition compared to the rest of the car.. how is it in real life?

Gonna be watching this one, looking forward to it

Simon.

Awesome ! i will be following this !

love the interior also but what is the silver thing in there? is that a spoiler or lip ?

does it run? everything work? L20?

Nice find! Will you be bringing it back to the states?

Oh, and did you ask about that L in the back of his garage? Caught my eye, now I'm curious. Haha

Hehe...it's about time you did this
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Thanks everyone, its been a long time coming HAHA
    (did i mention that the owner parked the car 9 years ago at the time of these pictures? so the car had just been in hiding for 9 years!)

Ive had this car for a little more than two years, so keep that in mind.

that silver thing was the lip, the previous owner also had the spoiler, it was on a shelf somewhere else, and when the car was delivered, i found a small stash of parts including the wing in the trunk.

i also got two spare L20's (one you can see in the background of one of the pics as mentioned)

when the car arrived, it was in a non drivable state. brakes were shot, and the clutch was gone amongst other things.

Immediately i ordered the following:
    lightweight flywheel from Fidanza
    Spec stage 4 clutch
    steel braided clutch line
    repro clutch slave
    repro clutch master cylinder
    repro brake master
    Kenmeri Brake booster
    ARP flywheel studs

I started by installing the booster/master
    little did i know that the Kenmeri booster was WAY bigger than the Hako booster. in order to install it, i needed a spacer that you can only get from the auctions here in japan.

(if you do a little searching, you will find the thread that i started asking if anyone had ever heard of a brake booster spacer) i want to say i paid about $80 just for this damn aluminum spacer..

so after finally sorthing out the problems with the booster, i pulled the brakes apart on all 4 corners, and checked the pads/rotors. They were all in great shape, so after i worked out the stuck rear drum on one side, i put it all back together and bled them, put in some Wakos DOT 4, and moved on.

Next was clutch work.
    pulled the tranny (Transmission.. not transexuals FYI)
    original clutch was still in good shape, but i swapped in my new toys, and check all my clearances/torques
    (i'm notorious for over-tightening things..)
    fought with the TRANSMISSION..it was a BITCH to get in for some reason, but i got that all back together, and dropped the car from the lift (i will post pics of this later) and started installing the clutch master and FUCK ME... the brake booster was almost touching the clutch master. i had to crimp the line for the clutch just to get it together.. well, i bred the clutch, and it worked, had absolutely no feel to it at all, but it did disengage the clutch, and the car was driveable, but for a stage 4 clutch, it was SHITE. ive had Spec clutches, they do have a light pedal feel, but not this damn light.

i put up with that for a long time, but just this past weekend i got in a shipment of parts from a buddy, he sent me a clutch master for a Z. the inlet for it is on the other side. i pulled the repro cylinder off, and of course the Z didnt fit the bolt pattern, so i had to drill it out.
    more to come...

IIRC I had to do the same for my clutch master. I drilled it out to 10mm and then filed it out a little more by hand, but it's pretty invisible once it's in place (with washers to hide the evidence of course)
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

I had a friend use his drill press to slot the holes a little, and it still wouldnt go on, so i lightly tapped the studs on the firewall a little closer together, and it went right on.