Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 78 Accord CVCC

My 78 Accord CVCC

picked this up not too long ago i been doing little things to clean the body up not exactly sure what i want to do with it yet

heres the car its got 77k original miles i was told the engine had a rebuild and by the way it runs thats true not to mention i pulled the valve cover off and the inside of the engine is CLEAN its also got a new clutch the carb needs a rebuild im probably gonna get a weber and eliminate a bunch of these wires under the hood also found a header on ebay i want.....gonna run a 2 1/4 exhaust with a glasspack also looking for the old Mugen valve cover (good luck right?)

i like the stock rims i sanded em down and painted em black im looking for the chrome trim rings i want to lower the car does anyone make a coil over kit? im leaving the stock breaks for now

body wise it needs a passenger side fender mine looks like it was hit everything else is perfect...NO ROT! im gonna be removing some of the trim on the side and filling the holes also ditching the factory mirror.....this car needs fender mirrors haha eventualy it will be repainted the stock color if not im gonna paint it the same color as my old mustang

color is called sunburst orange

interior is PERFECT im not touching it other than a white 5 speed hurst shifter handle

and in the future i want old recaros like the ones that come factory in 79-81 mustang cobras

but thats all i have now i might just use this thread as a build thread

Re: My 78 Accord CVCC

this Honda is super clean, I am jealous! I love the old CVCCs.

Wow that does look impressive!
    I just bought the Ebbro 1/43 scale Accord in that colour!

Dealer accessory floor mats, radio/cassette player (normal aftermarket too big to fit properly) and wheelarch trims even, I've never seen those properly before. Pretty special even if I have never liked the extra protective side chrome.. Unfortunate they drilled holes to fit them.
    Unusual steering wheel. Looks like it belongs on a Datsun!
    Good seat upholstery and uncracked dashpads are pretty rare even if mileage claims can be difficult to confirm with 5-digit odometer.
    Original wheel trim-rings were used by Honda well into the '80s so can be found with patience and do have a nicer profile than most aftermarket ones, (must get around to airbrushing my '77s wheels a darker grey).

Make sure you get a '76-'78 fender, '79-'81 will fit but have a differently shaped wheelarch, yet even Honda fitted them sometimes as a "goodwill" gesture if the originals rusted out prematurely (some within 3 years!), so you might keep an eye out for the plastic wheelarch liners fitted to later models if it doesn't have them already.

Weber should provide a bit more power given the 80hp of the non-CVCC 1600 Accords, even without their less restrictive cylinder heads.

Congrats on buying the car. I would've bought it over a year ago if I had the space.
    The guy you bought it from has worked on Hondas for a very long time and indeed
    rebuilt the motor. I'm glad to see you took care of the front fenders. Where in NJ are you?

Nice to see another Accord getting some love. The weber and header will help the power a bit, but you may be going overkill on the exhaust. 1 3/4" would be plenty large for a motor of that hp, 2" max. Don't believe Mugen made CVCC stuff. I have only seen EB stuff. Coilovers would be custom.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by bob78cvcc
    Congrats on buying the car. I would've bought it over a year ago if I had the space.
    The guy you bought it from has worked on Hondas for a very long time and indeed
    rebuilt the motor. I'm glad to see you took care of the front fenders. Where in NJ are you?

im in Ewing i bought the car at suburban wrench in pennington....this car must have sat there for about 4 years before i bought it.....and yea the fenders were bad lol

im trying to figure out if this is the original steering wheel or not and i love the factory floor mats im going to try and re glue the drivers side one i might throw bs ones in the car and put these in at car shows like honda day

this is the car as of last night like i said i want after market wheels but for now im gonna run these with chrome trim rings i also need a hood latch cable right now there is no hood latch on the car.....i need to find the chrome trim that goes around the wheel arch on the passenger side it was all torn up along with the fender but i figure the car will look great lowered a tiny bit

and im pretty sure this IS the origonal milage there is a sticker in the door from STS for an oil change and it said 11,xxx miles and that was in 91'

Wow, love it! Keep up the great work.

Love that interior! Car's looking good bro! :tu:

Thanks Guys!

im looking into possibly swaping it in the future im looking into an engine out of an 85 Prelude....the one with the dual carbs.....how much modification will i have to do to get it to work?

For the amount of work in relating to the reward on the dual carb prelude motor, you would probably be better off going with a D series swap. Probably equal amount of work for the D series, but a much better supported engine. Oh, and that vacuum hose mess! :shock:

Mark