Poll: Would you like to see a JNC / Grand JDM Dictionary?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JNC / JDM Dictionary

JNC / JDM Dictionary

So, there I am driving around town and I'm thinking to myself, which is quite often and very common... and I think, wouldn't it be handy to have a JNC dictionary to help with all the terms that get tossed around? I mean, before I came here I had no idea what a Hakosuka was, and I'm still trying to figure out "hoon"

Being mostly a Toyota guy, I often have no idea what the Datsun or Mazda guys are talking about. And what about those drift guys.... what the heck are they trying to say? Of course there are plenty more Japanese terms that have crossed over to the western world that could also use some explaining.

So it dawned on me that as soon as I got home, I'd log on to the JNC forum and call out to the powers that be - the all powerful and mighty masters of JNC and GrandJDM, in order to request an official JNC / GrandJDM Urban Dictionary.

Now I know Ben & Dan are off enjoying themselves at Motoring J Style this weekend, and heaven knows what Kev and Van are up to, but I pose this to you, the readers and members of the forum - what say you?
    Yea :tu: or Nay :td: ?
    I've even included a poll that awaits for your answers!

Heck, this is something that could even work it's way into the magazine.

Well hoon is an Aussie term that means gearhead, but it tends to have some negative connotations about driving too fast and misbehaving behind the wheel.

But...you have to take it in context of the Aussie sense of humour, where your best friend is " a complete bastard" but your worst enemy is only "a bit of a bastard".

Aussies say negative things without intending to be mean, so if you are into cars you will be called a bloody hoon many many times
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

... and a complete bastard, I hope

+1 on some international linguistics lesson / dictionary
    Will you start making one, toyotageek?

Hah, I prefer to be termed a hoon, as opposed to a boyracer.

It just makes me sound so much older and more experienced :lol:

Great idea. :tu:

Maybe we could get an Aussie slang dictionary too? I've always wanted to talk like Alf Stewart on "Home & Away". Stone the flamin' crows!

Quote Originally Posted by RoadsterViking
    Maybe we could get an Aussie slang dictionary too? I've always wanted to talk like Alf Stewart on "Home & Away". Stone the flamin' crows!
    No one really talks like that you know
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by KurumaOtaku
    ...Will you start making one, toyotageek?
    :lol: Don't know if I'm qualified to start one, but I'll try to help with contributions if possible.

Australia also gets a lot of Americanisms.
    But over the last few years I have been hearing Americans uttering Aussieisms (and it's pronounced 'ozzie' guys)
    Unfortunately most of them are the blue variety.

Actually, should do one that teaches Americans how to speak like an Aussie.
    For starters it's called Strain (Australian). We have the cities of Melbin(Melbourne), Synny(Sydney), and Brizbin or brizzy(Brisbane).
    And you need to forget the letter R.
    We drive nIssAns (not Neessahns) dAtsuns (not Dahtsuns) and soobaroos (however the hell you say it) :?

Hooks

heres another one from down under... BOGAN :mrgreen:

rather be called a smelly bogan than a boy racer as i dont use lots of hair product, dont have a pink shirt and that means i dont get blamed for the street racing and burnout problem we have here in new zealand