Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ImPo's 72 GC10 2000GT

ImPo's 72 GC10 2000GT

For those of you who didn't catch my thread in the introduction, My name is Eric and I've recently purchased a '72 GC10 Skyline 2000GT. I look forward to sharing my progress, trials, and errors with the JNC members. Welcome to my build thread.

I purchased my '72 GC10 Skyline 2000GT mid April of 2012. The car was located roughly 400 miles from home so I drove up and towed it home.
    Here's the first picture I took of the car once I had become the owner. All loaded up and ready for 400 miles... at 55mph...
    -

-
    (taken from my intro thread)
    Here's what she looked like when I first took her home. After the basic run through, oil change, coolant change, spark plugs, cap and rotor, valve adjustment, carb rebuild, and hours of tinkering with the adjustments shes running pretty well. I've still got a flat spot through the mid range but I'm banking on the fact that the jets are all out of whack. Once the correct jets are installed it should sort itself out.
    -

-
    (also taken from my intro thread)
    The orange spokes were interesting, after closer inspection they were spray painted. These are SSR MkII wheels, 3 piece with a healthy width and offset.. Not cheap in the least so a backyard spray job doesn't really do them justice. However, since they've already been sprayed I figure they can't get any worse. The orange and silver is not exactly my cup of tea so I removed the wheels, masked the tires and gave them a fresh coat of primer followed by flat. I also replaced the hardware with class 8.8 Gold fasteners. IMO they turned out quite well. This will hold me over until I can decide which route to go with these wheels. Also while I had the wheels off, I took some time to paint the front calipers.
    -

-
    So now we come to my first major renovation. As I scoured the local junkyards for anything I could use I came across a 83 Maxima with a fresh L24E engine just waiting to be plucked. The Maxima was super clean, some moderate damage to the right front but repairable IMO. Anyhow, I checked the cluster, 6 digit odometer reading 052935.
    The next day I returned to the junkyard with a bag of tools and within a couple hours, the L24E was dangling from the crane.
    That night I pulled the L20 from the skyline and began the teardown.
    -
    L20 pictured on the crane and then again on the stand. All I needed from the L20 was the oil pan and pickup tube.
    -

-
    Pictured now is the L24E fresh from the junkyard on the engine stand. I noticed somebody had taken the spark plugs from the L24 between the time I found it and went back to pull it. I tried to turn the engine over by hand and felt an obstruction. I fished around through the spark plug holes with a magnet and pulled a small screw from #3 cyl. I then again tried to turn it by hand and the obstruction was still there. From here I just removed the head. Here is what I found in #6 cyl
    -

-
    After seeing that I was relieved it wasn't anything serious. Its sad how somebody would try and sabotage a perfectly good engine like that.
    Next stop, complete disassembly.
    -

-
    I sent the head and block to my local machine shop. Had the head checked out and a valve job performed. The block was also checked out. I had them remove all of the freeze plugs and remove the rust from within the cooling jacket. I also took everything else to work and hot tanked the internal components to remove any debris and carbon from the pistons. Here is the L24 back from the machine shop after I had installed the crank. I came close to painting the block the original blue color it was but decided to go with a more neutral iron color.
    -

-
    Also while the engine is out I decided the wheels really needed some professional help. I removed the tires which were 11 years old and made an attempt to chemically strip the rims. Unfortunately, like I stated above needs professional help. :shock:
    -

-
    Currently the wheels are out being stripped. After the strip the barrels will get polished, spokes powder coated silver, and then each rim completely powder coated clear. The picture I sent with the wheels in which I'd like them to return as was this,
    -

-
    More to come.

Re: ImPo's 72 GC10 2000GT

Nice car, very nice wheels and nice engine upgrade!

Cooool. Nice job on the motor so far...shame Beavis and Butthead tried to ruin it for everyone with that split pin *shakes head*
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Looks good! keep it coming !

do you know what the specs of the wheels are ?

How is the rust situation throughout the car ?

Quote Originally Posted by wolff
    do you know what the specs of the wheels are ?

How is the rust situation throughout the car ?
    I need to measure the wheels to get the specs, I'll do that first thing when they return. As for the rust, the car has its share but I'd say its light to moderate. A couple places need some help but overall its in good shape. My 71 510 was a California car and it was much worse. The worst spot is in the frame up at the front right tension rod mount. It appears to have rusted completely through and at one point a repair was made by welding on a support plate. I'll be taking care of that this weekend hopefully. Perfect time while the engine is out. I'll be sure to document this step.

Nice GC10! Was this the one that was up on craigslist in NorCal that eventually went up on eBay?

Good work Eric!

Do you have an eta when it'll be up & running again?

It would be cool if we could caravan up to NorCal at the end of the month!

I dig how you did up the MkII's... Nice touch with the new hardware

Mason, this is the one your thinking of.

Eric, I hope it will be back on its wheels within two weeks. The engine is almost back together and if all goes well it'll be running by then also. I'm debating wether or not to grab up some DCOE 40's to take the place of my Solex 40phh's... :?

Here's some pictures of the rust damage, as you can see a repair attempt had been made in the past.
    -

-
    First thing to do is to remove only what needs to be removed so I can salvage as much of the structural material as possible.
    -

-
    And now using 2"x1/8" steel I rebuilt the vital structural support areas. Forgive my spotty welding. It's the best I can do with my flux hobby mig. :roll:
    -

-
    For the inner fender well there were many spots where the rust had eaten through the sheet metal so I decided to grind out the rust and add a completely new piece of 16 gauge sheet.
    -

-
    Before this piece was added I coated the inner frame rail and any bare metal which was to be covered with rust inhibiting primer. Once the last piece is welded in place I plan to drill a drain hole at the lowest point and use it to spray in cavity wax to protect the inside of the repaired area. For now, I ran out of flux wire so I called it a day. I'll have more and the finished product later this week.

Hey Eric

How's it coming?
    Car back together?
    Any issues?

Curious!...

-e