Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Nostalgic - Track Day

Japanese Nostalgic - Track Day

Hi everyone,

Remember this pic I scanned out of a 1972 issue of CarGraphic magazine?

Well I've started talking to SpeedVentures about having a specifically Japanese Nostalgic Run Group and their response has been very positive.
    To my knowledge this has never been done before on the West Coast (nationwide?) specifically for Japanese nostalgic cars.

We're talking about maybe picking one of their events right after JCCS (late September, early October) at either Buttonwillow or AutoClub Speedway.

My angle is to assemble a modern day (but non-competitive) re-creation of 70s era Japanese touring car races.
    We're talking RX3, RA Celica, S30 Z, Hakosuka & Kenmeri, Cherry, TE Corolla, etc
    But in order to cast a slightly wider net I'd be down to extend this to all 60s & 70s Japanese cars.

There are definitely some logistical issues to consider and they will all be addressed in due time.
    One of the biggest ones is that a single vintage run group like this is bound to attract drivers of different skill levels & how this gets managed so that it is still safe and fun for all.

Some of you have been doing track events for a long time, and some of you may have never been because it seemed intimidating.
    Hopefully as JNC enthusiasts we can all ban together and make it a memorable event. What makes a track day so fun is the relative safety of it, the presence of emergency personnel (knock on wood), and the legality of it. It doesn't matter if your car is stock engined or a fire breathing monster - there's just no substitute to driving it on track instead of driving it on our pot-holed streets.

Getting media coverage for something like this will be relatively straightforward as like I said it's never really been done before in this fashion.
    We could be at the forefront of starting something new and exciting which will give all of our friends with their modern cars a run for their money...

A typical SV run group (depending on track) is anywhere from 20-30 cars.
    The more cars, the cheaper the entry price is for everyone, but the more crowded the track gets at any given time.
    We should aim for 20-25 and see if that number's attainable.

If this thing then grows as I expect it will we can then maybe eventually transition to multiple run groups, if not an exclusively vintage track day altogether!

So, who would consider going and what would you bring?

Re: Japanese Nostalgic - Track Day

I would bring my 1970 Skyline GT and my 1973 240Z

VERY interesting. Can we have a judge dismissing cars with overtly non-period correct mods.....carbon look this and that and 3 piece 17" wheels haha? Kidding.

Kinda. ;D
    j!

*Ah heck, I wasn't really kidding.

Let's reach out to ALL 60s-70s Japanese cars first and see what the response is like, yes?

I'd be there!

1970 S30Z. Period proper.

I'd be in....1970 Corolla te21

I can't beleive you didn't mention the Dastun Roadster, the original Fairlady. The car that brought attention to Japanese cars in the US, with 10 national scca titles.

I'm a bit far for this but I know of some people in the SoCal area that race roadsters, I'll spread the word.

I'm game. 72 GC10

I sould be able to button up my brakes and suspension by then.

You're right!!..

My bad! I completely spaced the Roadster... and I know some people with Roadsters who are going to get on my case about it... lol.... oops.

(I did say though all 60s all 70s Japanese cars, but yeah the original Fairlady is definitely worth a call out...)

If there's people reading this who've never been to the track and are a bit reticent... I'll volunteer to show you the ropes.
    There. Heck I'd be open to the idea of giving rides in the red car too if it comes to that...