Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Colt Ute - the A82 Pick-up

Adelaide - the unoffical home of 60's Colts

1970 Colt Ute - the A82 Pick-up

Hey guys,

With mixed emotions I recently acquired what i think to be the only Colt Ute in Australia. The car was privately imported from South Africa a long time ago by the original owners and I bought it based on pictures and descriptions and had it trucked from QLD to Adelaide. Apologies for the poor pic - I'm struggling for room so had to wedge it between the 68 and 69 Colts:

I'm so stoked to own the thing but the sad part is the car is pretty far gone. The pic certainly doesn't show that ( hence the reason I thought I was buying a good car ) and the poor old girl has some major structural issues and a few a mechanical ones too. The main reason for my post though is there is nothing available in terms of information or parts. Over the years I've been able to gather info apart plenty of Colts but the ute is a mystery. Does anyone have any details on these great little cars? Strangely there is a compliance plate in the engine bay advising the car was assembled by Chrysler in South Africa. Technically this thing should be a Mitsubishi Heavy Industries car so if it wasn't made in Japan, then I'm stumped! Any info/pics would be greatly appreciated! I have no idea whether I'm going to be able to save this thing but I'll see what I can do

Re: 1970 Colt Ute - the A82 Pick-up

easy, its a Bakkie.

Thanks for the reply mate. Not sure how much a 4 word post helps me though :| . Anyone else have any ideas?

well you could have googled it, a bakkie is a "ute" to us but in SA they "Bakkied" everything so you could get a Mercedes "Bakkie" or ute from your dealer, hence your "Bakkie" Colt, its not a comercial its a converted sedan. People from SA please correct me on anyhting there if you can

I did mate, but knowing Bakkie means Pickup in SA unfortunately provides no information on the Colt Bakkie

A better pic

Wow, that's pretty awesome!

Thanks mate. I love the car, just not it's condition! Will hopefully be able to do something with it eventually. Things are a bit tight in the shed at the moment with the other Colts too . I've been using all the tricks I know of to search the net and am getting nothing! Using English, Japanese and Afrikans, searching A82, Pickup, Ulility, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, 1100f! No info at all

Elbow deep in grease, in a garage somewhere in Sydney

It's starting to sound like a custom job. Not necessarily a one-off but not factory built (along the lines of sunchaser convertibles)

Would still be very cool to restore.

Yeah, interesting one. The 1100f Parts list and Workshop manuals do reference the A82 pickup though so it does look like there was a Jap 1100f ute. This one being badged Chrysler is strange though....!