Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cheap options on a powerful motor for the 77' Corona?

cheap options on a powerful motor for the 77' Corona?

..Well?This thing is uber-slow :td: sounds fast thanks to supertrapp,but man it is underpowered..

So what do you guys thing should be in there?I'd like to do something for $1500 or under..
    -Small block chevy?
    -Nissan(ick)sr20det?
    -4age?

Any ideas?I need more power,bad.

lexus V8!

doesnt seem cheap^ :shock: sounds cool and i do know where a few are..plus it needs to be a stick..

lexus ls400 are getting ultra cheap this side of the pond!

You can pick up a blacktop 4age for under 1k. spend about 200 to 300 on parts you will need (such fuel system adjustments). It will be a significant amount of horsepower over stock without having to do any serious modifications or customization if you put a higher HP motor in it.

Sorry but 4age fast? How can you go from v8-turbo-90hp? With some work it could be in the list but not for your 1500. Whats in there now? 20r? you could build that alittle and it should help. Don't know what I would do as I have a 77 celica with the same problem. hehehe I have a 350 on the side but dunno what I want. The 20v blacktop would help but might have problems with the weight of the car. 3t nitrous or turbo?

Well good luck
    mike

btw its only my opinions you dont have to listen to anyone but yourself!!!

Is your car automatic or manual? If you want to go retro, use 18RG but parts are getting hard to get hold off (depending on where you are at). I wonder if 7MGE will fit...then convert eventually to an ITB.

Not my car or a corona but here is what he did: "Saved up and bought 3 weber DCOE's, made a manifold from the stock lower intake manifold chopped up. Installed a Carter 4070 fuel pump for a steady 4PSI. MSD 6A, Timing Control Computer and Balster Coil handle the ignition triggered off a flying magnetic crank sensor, the sensor is from an S10."

^wow,nice looking stuff but i think it would be long...

Yeah,car is a 22R right now,was a 20R,and its just that building these seems super expensive!Like 'wow' i could have almost 300hp for 5G's :shock: I come from turbo-fords,and turbo -volvos so maybe i am spoiled,or maybe i should just go 2.3turbo ford in it,as i could prolly get a whole car for $500 and 300hp is easy and almost free :P

It's just that this is such a nice car and i would like to keep it japanese.

And about the 20v...Are they hard to make work in rear wheel drive?Expensive?

3T?...I am going to look into this..New to the toyota game ops:

20v are like a 16v to work in, pretty much a giant lego set. All you would need to make it rwd is dent a hole in the firewall or cut it for the distributor (or run a distributorless setup), and obtain an ae86 tranny. The total price it cost me for all the parts needed to make it work was under $1.1k to put into my RA21. The only bad thing about a 20v is that there isn't much room to make the 300hp you wanted. You will pretty much be under 200hp no matter how much effort you put into it. If you are looking for 300hp and to stay in the 4 cylinder family, you might consider a 3sgte or a bastard swap of an sr20det swap.

[quote="superboosted"]^wow,nice looking stuff but i think it would be long...
    :shock: I come from turbo-fords,and turbo -volvos so maybe i am spoiled,or maybe i should just go 2.3turbo ford in it,as i could prolly get a whole car for $500 and 300hp is easy and almost free :P
    [quote]I was just thinking the same thing and see many xr4ti parts cars, turbo coupe etc for 300-600 bux. The only issue I think might be is the overall height of the t2.3. Its cheap, makes crazy power, its cheap (I did say its cheap right) and if you really wanna wild up a t2.3...a volvo head is a cool deal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMsMHvGwb9w or tech info... http://www.merkurtech.com/merkurtech/te ... tem045.php

Ive been thinking of the cheapest, quickest turbo large cube (2.3 is big for 4cyl) engine swap, that while being a cheap starting point, has as much potential as some of the other engines available, and I keep coming back to this one. Plus, I dont think Ill get to much grief for cutting up a 210 :lol: :tu: :twisted: