Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X) Prototype...

Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X) Prototype...

WELCOME HOME! ...
    BEFORE... "Donor Car" - Unwashed & unpolished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctifier
    Yesterday, (2/05/12) I got a Lancer 1.4 EX Saloon (A172A) "foreign" parts-car in "mint"... no, make that :tu: "FANTASTIC" condition.

EVERYTHING works perfectly. Underneath is even better than the interior... (seriously.) The entire body-shell is like "NEW!"
    Even the tyres (and ALLOY rims) are in VERY good condition. It's in MUCH better condition than the car that I drive now.

DAMN!... The bonnet... windscreen washer bottle... firewall and other parts still have the original labels!
    . . . . . . . . . . . . AND IT WAS BUILT IN 1983! . . . . TWENTY-NINE (29!) YEARS AGO! . . . . . . . . . . . .

The brown marks in the pix are dirt and sawdust (go figure!) ... NOT rust.
    ... It's a pity that I have to... CUT IT UP!... (Can't be registered!)
    FOR SALE!
    Engine (G12B - 1400 cc)... (Air-Condition system NOT included)... Cooling system... Exhaust system...
    Gear-box & Clutch... Rear Axle (Diff)... Front & Rear suspension & Brakes (incl. booster)... & Front & Rear Seats.
    Why cut it up? ...
    Because like they say here..."Gopaul's luck ain't Seepaul's luck!"

No "phoney" License Plates... No "splicing in" (welding) Chassis Numbers... No "swapped" firewall... NOTHING bogus for me.

After investing so much TIME & $$$$ into it, I refuse to risk having it impounded by the Licensing Office!...
    It doesn't make sense to risk (INSURANCE LIABILITY... & POLICE... FOREVER!), just to reduce the "build" time! :roll:

IIRC there's a Lamborghini owner (Gopaul?) :lol: who has similar issues right now... I'm NOT goin' there! :roll:
    :tu: Instead of using inferior (thin guage) steel sheet to do "cut & patch" rust repairs; having a "mint" donor car allows me to replace all the rusty panels in my Lancer 1800 GSR with OEM panels from the "parts car"...
    "A" PILLARS!... Rear Parcel Shelf... Trunk lid surround... DOORS!... TRUNK LID!... etc. etc.
    ... *start-up = 2013*... I have to get my Evo 6 RS2 back on the road first. It's been in storage for five years, so... General Maintenance req'd: Electrical & ALL sensors, belts, fluids, hubs, bearings, ball-joints... from the UK! Then U.S. gearbox & LSD rebuild, etc. etc... $$$$ :roll:

Yup, it's a lot of work... and a lot of headaches :x ... but when I've finished (in about 24 months after *start up*) I'll have a "BRAND NEW" Lancer 1800 GSR (A175A)... or more accurately... a "new" Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X) Prototype.

Why "GTX" instead of "GSR"?...
    "X" = "Experimental" (Prototype.)

"GT" because it'll be quicker and faster (205 bhp) than a Lancer 1800 GSR (159 bhp) or even a 2.0L Lancer Turbo (177 bhp.)
    ... and will still have a "lightly stressed", RELIABLE, "stock" engine... with GREAT milage too.

"Drivability": It must have a standard (OEM) clutch (for traffic)... low steering lock (+/- 2.6 turns)... low-rpm torque ("flexibility".)
    ... NO excessive power (so no poor milage)...
    ... NO excessive torque (to break drive-train parts & needing a "super stiff" EXPENSIVE clutch & flywheel kit.)

"Safety":.... With Brembo calipers (front & rear) off an Evo 8.
    ................. With more responsive, precise Power "Rack & Pinion" Steering...
    ................. With 215/60 x 16" tyres (or better)... instead of 185/65 HR 14" tyres...
    ................. With a FoamSeal "roll-cage" (pic.) = stiffer chassis = better handling AND better occupant protection.

N.B. - There were no "Air-bags" in 1983, so whatever I do to improve occupant safety is Win!... WIN!
    :idea: Hmmm... The 4G93 + ECU came from a 4wd 1800 GSR... Maybe the Steering Wheel, Air-bags etc. can be transplanted too!
    ................. "Well... don't you think it will be safer after all that?"...
    Why bother to do it?...
    IMHO the standard Lancer 1800 GSR is NOT ideal for quick, consistent driving.
    When you add these issues...
    Imprecise, lurid throttle oversteer...
    Terminal understeer "beyond the limit" of tyre adhesion.
    Constant brake fade...
    Sloppy steering and Turn-in (with 3.xx turns lock-to-lock) :roll:

... the initial grin :twisted: ... starts to fade :evil:
    BTW I have owned/driven FOUR Lancers to date...
    1 x N/A Lancer 1.4 EX (Normally Aspirated.)
    1 x N/A Lancer 2.0L EX (G63B + 5-speed.)
    2 x Lancer 1800 GSR Turbo saloons... 1 with LSD and 1 without LSD.
    ... so my opinion on "Lancer handling" is formed from long-term use, driving different configurations of the same basic platform.
    I'm no auto expert (or "World Class" driver) by any means... but it's my humble opinion, none the less.

The main goals of Project GTX are to solve the handling, braking and steering issues to allow consistent, safer driving...
    and what the hell... DOING IT SIMPLY BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE HAS EVER DONE THIS BEFORE! 8) :lol:
    Lancer 1800 GTX Specifications:

Engine .................. 4G93 - 1.8L, DOHC, In-line 4-cylinder Turbo Motor.
    Gearbox ............... rwd Lancer 1800 GSR 5-speed.
    Drive-train ............ Starion LSD, (3.545:1) with torque-tube and drive-shaft.
    Steering ............... Lancer 1800 GSR Power Steering-box swapped for Power Rack & Pinion steering. (Model to be decided.)
    Front Suspension .... Lancer 1800 GSR front suspension.
    Rear Suspension ..... Starion Independent Rear Suspension - "Trailing A-Arms", Coil-over shocks, Stabiliser bar.
    Brakes ................. Starion Rotors (ft. & rr.) - cross-drilled (unfortunately) & slotted.
    ......................................... Calipers - Front: Evolution 8 4-pot Brembo.
    ......................................... Calipers - Rear: Evolution 8 2-pot Brembo.
    Rims .................... Starion 16" x 8" ET xx mm, PCD - xxx, 5-hole.

Bling!: .................. Power Slide & Tilt Sun-roof - ex-4WD Lancer 1800 GSR (CM5A)
    ........................... Power Windows - ex-4WD Lancer 1800 GSR (CM5A)
    All Starion parts (including the floor-pan) were sourced from a seller in California, via eBay...

The crate is in Miami as we speak... 8)

Why not a 4G63?...
    Because the 4G93T is FREE! (ex-4wd Lancer 1800 GSR.)

Because I already have TWO Evo 6 TME RS2 Projects with 4G63s... one for the street... the other for AutoX & Circuit use.

A 4G93T will only need a "fill-up" at the pump ONCE A WEEK... maybe twice occasionally.
    . A stock Evo usually has to "fill-up" TWO or THREE times a week!... MIMIMUM! :roll:
    With fuel price increases coming sooner rather than later :roll:, "low running cost" is VERY important to me!

Because a "stock" 4G93T will give me > 130 mph... 0-60 mph in about 6.7 sec!... and hopefully, 35-40 m.p.g. too. :tu:

EDIT: As predicted, "Premium" Gas ('95' octane) was increased in September by 44%... from $4.00 / litre-to-$5.75 / litre!
    Up next... (AFTER the "parts" sales over the next six months.)

Then this lot...
    RESTORATION & UPGRADE SCHEDULE:

1st Build: Trial installation...
    Install I.R.S.
    Install engine, drive-train, suspension, brakes, wiring harness & "electronics".

Troubleshoot EVERYTHING!

Remove ALL components and "strip" shell.

Media Blasting: (Baking Soda & Black Diamond), "Spot/Stitch-welding" (MIG), Rustproofing duties...

Then the actual (long, boring) Bodywork... FoamSeal... Seam sealing... Undersealing & Paint job can begin... :roll:

Final Assembly!
    Link--> GroceryGetter! - Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X.)

Stay tuned!...

Re: Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X) Prototype...

Just a thought, i had a few of these cars awhile ago. I got around the legal issue by gettig a CLO number from license office. it is given to a wrecked car that needs repairs where the chassis number is stamped. i did it with 2 lancers and a 626. check it out or look for a car with an existing CLO number.

Quote Originally Posted by 10psitx
    Just a thought, i had a few of these cars awhile ago. I got around the legal issue by getting a CLO number from license office.
    it is given to a wrecked car that needs repairs where the chassis number is stamped.
    i did it with 2 lancers and a 626. check it out or look for a car with an existing CLO number.
    Hi 10psitx, Nice to talk to a fellow Trini.

Unfortunately I already spoke to the last Transport Commmissioner (Douglas) about a CLO a couple years ago for a damaged vehicle... No Joy!
    The dept. is so riddled with corruption that no one will approve a simple CLO, for fear of being accused of corruption.
    BTW the Police brought in FOUR Licensing Officers for questioning about fraud... last week!

This is what the current Transport Commmissioner (Cato) had to say about using "foreign used" shells on 16-05-2012...

So that's out I'm afraid. :roll:

Anyway, I don't want to patch rust with galvanised sheet steel either. That's why I bought a mint bodyshell...
    I'll cut it up (*see below*) and restore my GSR properly without screwing around with the firewall, chassis number
    or anything else that will put the legal Registration at risk... and I'll use OEM body panels too! 8)

Both cars are almost 30 YEARS OLD! To prevent new corrosion for as long as possible, even the "new" shell would need
    a full rotisserie restoration to stop future rust.
    The only ways to get between the spot-welded seams & panels... and inside the chassis rails to stop rust are...
    (1) Electro-dipping (Not available locally)...
    (2) Electrolysis (I'm going to try this!)...and
    (3) THIS way... (I'll be doing this too!)
    Dissecting the GSR's shell like that will also give me the chance to Weld/Bond ALL the panels when fixing them into place...
    (ie. Actually "rust-proof" BETWEEN the seams!... Exactly where rust starts in the first place!)
    WELD/BONDING...
    "Panel Bonding" is actually stronger than OEM spot-welding... 3M's Tough Stuff vs. Welding Shear Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92HKgJ1rw7U

Doing BOTH is even better... Quarter Panel Installation (Weld Bond) - Fusor 108B - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0kc45bhhQ
    Before the paint job, I'll "stitch-weld" the entire shell...
    Fill ALL the chassis rails, boxed panels, etc. with FoamSeal (2lb. & 8lb.)...
    Finally, apply Seam Sealer, etc.

All that will give me---> Stiffer chassis = Better handling (and quicker "turn in".) :tu:
    Also---> FoamSeal = No air pockets = No Moisture = NO RUST!... :tu:
    and it also reduces "Noise, Vibration & Harshness" issues too. :tu:
    That should keep the "new" bodyshell going for another 30 years! :lol:

My $0.02

Be careful with that foam seal, remember the a pillars in these cars are foamsealed from the factory, thats the main reason it rots out before anything else, you can't stop moisture , heat and cooling cycles will natrually occur so what you want to increase is moisture dissipation from enclosed spaces through ventilation. Triniland is a tropical climate with high humidity = moisture. foam seal is not water proof it has air pockets which holds moisture for a while/ takes long to dry out. i would coat the spaces with a mixture of oil and grease or get lithium grease in a spray can it works like a charm. i spray bare metal with it when storing it and it does not rust at all. there is also a weld tru primer you can spray in side the panels.

It looks like you are off to a great start other wise, keep the updates comming. i will love to see the end product. i wish i could get one here (Austin,Texas).
    i love the a172 lancers i started with a 87 rust bucket back in 1992 with a 1600 engine mikuni sidedraughts, race cam and janspeed extractors. progressed to local GSR'S then to Bamboo foreign used single cam turbo ones.BTW do you know a guy from St Joseph named Riyad? he had a black lancer with a 4g63 twin cam that ran 11's at wallerfield. Its nice to communicate wit a county man as well.

hi sir nice work
    you're so lucky to have that kind of donor car

is there by any chance will you be using the keyset?
    i've been looking around for a keyset for the same car and i haven't got any luck yet

^ ^ ^ Hi ohseph,
    FOR SALE!
    Engine (G12B - 1400 cc @ 92,098 km)... (with A/C Compressor)... Cooling system... Exhaust system... and ALL the small engine bits in the engine bay.
    5-speed gear-box & Clutch... Rear Axle (Diff)... Front & Rear suspension & Brakes (incl. booster)... & Front & Rear Seats...
    Sorry but other than what's listed above, I'm not selling any other parts from the Lancer 1.4 EX "Donor" car... even after the project is finished.
    Spare parts (especially body panels and miscellaneous "trim") are already impossible to find locally.
    An Evo owner in the UK just paid 700 (sterling) for a quarter panel. Locally (@ about $9.65:1 + air-freight, duty & VAT) that's almost $8,000 TT.
    New quarter panels are not even available locally... even for NEW cars. :roll:
    If I had to buy NEW parts for the build it would cost more than a new car locally. That's why I paid top dollar for it.

Also, because of HIGH shipping cost (distance & weight), quite likely the parts I'm selling will only be sold locally.
    Maybe I'll just sell the whole lot (above) as a "package deal" to get rid of it quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by 10psitx
    BTW do you know a guy from St Joseph named Riyad? he had a black lancer with a 4g63 twin cam that ran 11's at wallerfield. Its nice to communicate wit a county man as well.
    Hi 10psitx. Sorry I missed your reply. Yup, I met Riyad years ago. Don't hear anything about him these days.

EQUIPMENT UPDATE: I just got a couple more used toys for the project, including this... (in transit soon)

The Car-O-Mech Measuring System will eliminate any rear suspension misalignment issues and should solve a lot of other headaches as well.

:idea: I also got another "chassis-mounting" idea from the DriftWorks build of a Volvo 245 GT-D...

So in addition to a Car-O-Mech Upper Body Measuring System... now I'm also hunting for a old model Car-O-liner Mk. IV Frame Machine... (bottom right pic.)...

The Car-O-liner and Car-O-Mech will give the accuracy needed for the build... while the rotisserie will speed up disassembling the "donor" car.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Project Link--> GroceryGetter! - Lancer 1800 GTX (A175X.)

This is a very ambitious project with the potential to be a great road car, look forward to see the oucome :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by lt2000ex
    This is a very ambitious project with the potential to be a great road car, look forward to see the outcome :tu:
    ambitious... Hmm... Very "polite" word. Some of the guys at home may not be so "politically correct" when they find out. :lol:

great road car... Thanks. I'm hoping it will live up to my expectations...
    "GT": Because (at about 2,700 lbs.) it'll be quicker and faster (203 bhp) than a Lancer 1800 GSR (158 bhp) or even a 2.0L Lancer Turbo (177 bhp.)
    With my Evo 6 back on the road by Christmas (I hope), I'll get my "adrenaline fix" soon enough.
    For GroceryGetter better steering, brakes, handling and milage are even more important to me... (35-40 m.p.g. would be GREAT!)

Thanks for the kind words lt2000ex. I've read about it for years but I'm still a bodywork novice, (and I'm 59 in Sept.) so this is a 1st for me in many ways...
    (Chassis alignment... Spot & Mig welding... bodywork & painting... etc. etc.)... I may need all the prayers that I can get. :roll: ... It should be "interesting"... :lol:
    Thank God for great advice and support locally and abroad! 8) It's a good thing that I already have a lot of the equipment I'll need... I never will have too many tools! :mrgreen:

Link--> THE ASYLUM!... Workshops & Tools for DIY Mitsu MadMen.

BTW the Car-O-Mech Measuring System is on the way... 8) :tu: ... and I think I'll score a set of older Car-O-Liner Frame Data Manuals...
    an M900 Upper body Measuring System... and an older Car-O-Liner Mark 4 with many accessories by late next week. :tu:

Here's hoping!... :wink: