Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just purchased this beautiful 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1

Just purchased this beautiful 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1

Hey all,

I'm mostly a lurker on these forums (this is my 10th post) after joining about a year and a half ago, but I'd like to share my recent find.

I posted up my turbo'd '75 Z around this time last year and ended up selling it the next month after I moved.

Miss that car, but couldn't stand to let it sit out in rainy weather and rust.

This past December, I found out that I was moving to Japan this coming November, so my NSX aspirations were put on hold after I had found the most perfect 1992 Comptech supercharged black on ivory NSX up in New Hampshire (telling that guy I couldn't buy his car almost literally hurt). My last NSX for kicks:

Miss that car dearly as well, more than the Z.

I've been in a sportscar void for about a year now after getting sensible and buying a decent 2002 Accord to DD back and forth to base. Thought about getting an S2000 to have fun before I left for Japan, but then I starting thinking about cars that I could have fun with and possibly take to Japan.

So I've been casually looking through old Datsun Z and Porsche 911 classifieds. Came close on one 911 down in Georgia, but the owner couldn't get me the info I needed (apparently older Porsches before the 1980's VINs did not have a month of manufacture stamped on the body...very important for Japan). Ended up stumbling across an ad in Ohio for a 240Z advertised as "one owner". I inquired.

What I found was a Series 1 in fantastic condition. This lady bought the car brand new in 1970 having just come off the boat. After some time, she drove the car less and less and let a good family friend take care of the car for her, the person I originally contacted. It has 59K original miles, and the rust-problem was widespread enough by this time (July 1970) that the dealer took the car to a local shop to completely rust proof the bottom as brand new, and it looks like it.

I present to you 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1 #7356, white on blue interior.

The only drawbacks I see is that the car shows some evidence of sitting. The bottom has some surface rust on the suspension components as well as some dry rotted bushings. It was just not driven all that often (maybe once a month). Doing all the fluids and replacing the bushings.

It's almost entirely original down to the Datsun "D" hubcaps and steel wheels. It has had the carpet redone in the back and now covering the strut towers (should be exposed blue vinyl) and there's carpet covering the blue vinyl down the transmission tunnel under the console. Probably going to fix this.

More updates to come. Thanks for reading my diatribe.

Re: Just purchased this beautiful 1970 Datsun 240Z Series 1

Wow. That's seriously mint.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

I love that aqua-colored interior! My last 510 had that same color interior. Everyone else hated it, but I dig it. :tu: :mrgreen:

nice car, why are the square holes in the spokes of your steering wheel closed? mine has open holes and i figured that was how it supposed to be

Series 1 steering wheels don't have the spotted holes like the later models.

Usafdarkhorse.

Congrats. Beautiful car. Not many cars left in that condition.

wow beautiful indeed

and it's in original condition, perfect

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Wow. That's seriously mint.
    It's very nice, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by john
    I love that aqua-colored interior! My last 510 had that same color interior. Everyone else hated it, but I dig it. :tu: :mrgreen:
    I wasn't sold at first, but it's very rare and "pops", kind of the same way people are polarized by the all-red interiors in the 2002 white S2000s, which I love.
    Ironically, I won't be the only 1970 white on blue 240Z in Knoxville, TN. I've already touched base with another owner in the area, and his car is older even (#797).
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    nice car, why are the square holes in the spokes of your steering wheel closed? mine has open holes and i figured that was how it supposed to be
    Yeah as mentioned below, that's one of the ways you can tell you're looking at a first year car. Some other indicators you're probably familiar with are the "240Z" C pillar emblems as opposed to "Z" and the hatch vents below the glass with vertical defrost lines as opposed to horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    Series 1 steering wheels don't have the spotted holes like the later models.

Usafdarkhorse.

Congrats. Beautiful car. Not many cars left in that condition.
    Thank ya sir. I'm very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray
    wow beautiful indeed

and it's in original condition, perfect
    Yeah I'm gonna go at that carpet around the transmission tunnel to bring out that blue vinyl underneath and really get it original. Thanks!

I haven't updated this thread in a long, long time.

I ended up leaving the car with my parents and brother in Tennessee while I moved to Japan for the military.

In the meantime, my brother has been driving it around and taking care of it. We installed a few new bushings, a set of Twice Pipes, and the 5 slot mags when I came back in November, but not much else to say. This past weekend he took it to the local Cars and Coffee put on by Harper Auto of Knoxville, TN, and got a few good shots/compliments. The car still stuns me when I see it in pictures because I see it so sparingly.

Photo credit to Taylor Steger:

That's a magnificent car mate!

But I love the original wheels!!! That way she's super original!!! Not many like that around.

But just wow! I love her

Quote Originally Posted by Datsun style
    That's a magnificent car mate!

But I love the original wheels!!! That way she's super original!!! Not many like that around.

But just wow! I love her
    Thanks bud. I still have the "D" caps and steelies, but I wanted to change it up a bit. I also have a set of ARE Libres that may go on at some point as well, but I'm not getting rid of the OE stuff. I have a '72 that's getting all of my mod attention.