Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT

How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT

Part 1: Learning…

Well I've decided to start my own story on buying my Hakosuka. I'll be honest I used to think I was the "go to" guy when it came to JDM goodness and all that was Skyline. I was hopelessly wrong, but it's okay I guess, we all start somewhere ops:.

When I moved to Japan in '04, at the height of all that Fast and Furious jazz and Drifting was starting to not be underground anymore, all I wanted was a late '96-'98 R33 GT-R, I knew those specific models we're on the list at NHTSA and one of the few newer Skylines that could be legally imported into the U.S. at a FEDERAL level (See page 17: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig100111.pdf);

And so my story actually stars with this car (early pics):

Late pics:

The cost to import and legalize an R33 far outweighed what I was willing to spend at the time, and my car was not a BNCR33 GT-R, she was only a '97 ECR33 GTS-T and was certainly not worth the money, the majority of the cost going towards making the car OBD II compliant, was a serious setback. I gave up on my dream of bringing one back legally, and went through a few cars until that fateful day I went to the '04 Fuji Speedaway, NISMO Festival…that day my life changed.

Re: How my life found a '72 Nissan Skyline 2000GT HT

please continue

den wha happen?

Part 2: The NISMO Festival

Being new to Japan I was quick to find a friend in Paul. A fellow Skyline enthusiast, he was the proud owner of a '96 LeMans Edition BCNR33 GT-R. Beautiful car, special LeMans decals, special LeMans Blue paint and Gold BBS LM's were all standard to that model.

Anyway, I ran into him at the post office at Yokota AB, and he invited me to accompany a group trip to Fuji Speedway for the NISMO Festival. It is all and anything NISMO; from the accessories to their special edition cars, if you are a Nissan fan and are planning a trip to Japan I highly suggest you center a trip around it; you will not regret it.

I lost most of my pictures from that event, but I will never forget it. Until that day I thought the oldest Skyline was an R32! What a rookie! ops: After drooling over 400R's, Z-Tune R34's, and a super rare 270R (S14 Silvia) I found myself drawn to an "older" car section. The first car I saw as I walked up was this:

I had no idea what I was looking at, but I was in love :shock:!!! The proportions were perfect, they way she sat there (before all this "Stance" stuff), how well she was appointed, and then he opened the hood. That 2 Litre DOHC, with the triple side draft 44 DCOE Weber carbs, and that beautiful custom hand made exhaust manifold, ugh!!! It was nirvana…I immediately wanted one. But how? I asked around and was told the price for one was more than a new R34 at the time!!! I was in awe and heartbroken at the same time... :?

(Note: The pics of this Hako are actually from '06 NISMO Festival, the second Hako I met in '05, you will see the first one I ever saw in the video, just as exceptional.)

cannot wait for part 3

Just to fill in the blanks:

Paul's BCNR33 LeMans GT-R:

A short video I made at the NISMO Festival, forward to 4:05 if you only want to see nostalgia (its a bit cheesy, it was only 2005, and no skills):

Stay tuned for Part 3: Research

Locked in for pt.3! (hope it come before my lunch break is over :mrgreen: )

Part 3: Research

Actually, we need to to a Part 2.5: Denial

So now I was hooked. Bringing back my R33 was too expensive, bringing back a KPGC10 was WAY too expensive. So, I gave up. I sold my R33 for a '96 Supra plus cash, and sold all my aftermarket parts. I wasn't happy, it was a non-turbo, automatic, 19" wheels and orange. YES, ORANGE! Toretto's Garage Orange!!! With a black hood! NOT a carbon fiber hood, a black painted hood! What was I thinking!!!???!!! ops:

Before:

After (its the best I could do on a budget):

I was in denial, I thought this hopeless car would be a daily driver and I would get over it. I hated it, and so I bought a '94 Silvia Q's. Non-turbo, but with SR20 NA power, 5 speed, very clean, and black.

Before:

After:

If you notice I just keep carrying over those wheels I had on the R33..heh heh

One good thing came out of this. I realized that if I keep buying cars, fixing them up and then sell them on, I could make some money. A regular Wheeler Dealer…that was my way... that was my ticket to make enough money to get what I want…and take it back to the U.S.

Until next time…Part 3: Research

Awesome story so far! Always trial and error to find what we really like it seems, good to see you shared the good and the bad haha. Supra was def better after you cleaned it up. :tu:

Good stuff man keep it up!