Poll: What do you prefer

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion: Carbs or EFI and why?

Your opinion: Carbs or EFI and why?

I know the cars we are into tend to be older and there for alot of people who like keeping the car in the time period mechanically. That has never quite been the thing for me.

When I got my first project corolla there was never a plan for carbs. I removed the stock one and started working towards EFI.

So, my question to everone. Carbs or EFI. And why?

My reason for EFI:
    Easier tuning (in my experience using my laptop)
    More reliability
    You tune and don't have to worry about adjusting cause a screw moved, or float, elevation, etc.

Re: Your opinion: Carbs or EFI and why?

carbs for the classics
    efi for everything else including but not limited to yard equipment, experimental aircraft, weekend track toys, radio controlled, daily driver.

This is never a fair thread but...

EFI. Let your car be all it can be :lol:

For me philosophically, it falls within the realm of the innovative, high tech, Japanese spirit... But actually, it only really sort of bugs when people remove EFI in favor of carbs. It's sort of like... What's next? A V8 now? :lol: though I know all the reasons why people do it and why it's often better than a stock EFI setup...

Yea, I think I know all the reasons, but curious if I am off base.

Seems every project I want to do involves EFI. Next big project will be a 2nd gen civic where I try and make my own intake manifold for efi.

efi is sooo much cleaner(environmentally)... and I make gobs of power... kinda like I have my cake...

and eat it too

I like the ways carbs sound. But I like the way you can take a NA EFI engine and add some bigger injectors, fuel management system and a small turbo. Keep the boost between 6 - 8 psi and have some nice power increases, plus little lag.

all a matter of what you prefer..sitting in traffic esp ca for more than 45 min mikuni s and weber tend to heat soak..but then the sound of the carbs are awesome, but itbs can give you the same sound i have had both and prefer the efi with itbs...but i dont hate the carbs...........again do what you like ..

If, by "EFI", you mean a single throttle, log manifold, then carbs. If you mean IRTBs, then it's a toss up. Love the sound of dual (triple) Mikunis on I4 (I6) engines at WOT. I even like the sucking sound of Mikuni's at idle.

If you're going to turbo, you won't hear the roar of each individual choke anyway so EFI is probably the way to go...

Daily, or a car that gets driven semi-regularly? EFI.
    Weekender? Carbs.

I think I've gotten that a bit backwards in practice though, my daily is carby fed (by a Rochester Varajet, no less *shudders*) and my project is soon to be EFI :lol:

Your car kind of lands in the inbetween, I'd say EFI for you car works and may be a better option. I guess it just really depends on you plans and what you like. I've thought about engine swaps for my car since I bought it and a go back in for between newer c18 or sr20 or doing and older u20 or somthing to keep it little more period correct. Both have their advantages and I like certain aspects of each.