Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corona Mark II rear brake conversion

Corona Mark II rear brake conversion

Hello, I have a 73 Corona Mark II. I am still really new to all of this. This is my first old car and I am looking for information regarding the rear brakes. I know for a lot of the newer cars you can convert rear drum brakes to disc brakes. I am curious if the same is possible for these cars. I would like to know if any cars around this era had rear disc brakes and if there is any that are capable of being altered to fit. Thanks for any information.

If the 73 corona mkII has the same size rear end as a same year Celica, then an AE86 GTS rear end will fit with some slight modification of the position of the mounts themselves.

markII

I converted my MarkII to 1980 Supra rare end. wasn't easy.

I have a few of these Mk2s at home.

One of them I slotted in a Hilux RN40 diff and converted it to discs - used 307mm JZA80 rotors and Celica ST205 rear calipers.

With another, I just used an MS112 disc brake rear end - had to cut off the Crown mounts, had the Corona Mk2 mounts welded on and bolted the whole lot in. Tailshaft just bolted straight up. This diff is a little wider
    (40mm - 20mm per side) than the Mk2 one so if you have alloy wheels and guard clearance is already critical, then after this conversion they will rub for sure.

I should highlight that boththe above conversions are 5 stud...you can use MS65 front hubs and discs to convert the front to 5 stud.

If you're not interested in converting to 5 stud, then here in Aus we also got a Corona model ST141 - some of these came out with rear disc brakes. I'm led to believe that with minimal work these can be made to fit.

Help

Ok... so I have been unable to find any of the mentioned cars above for a reasonable price. Over here in Japan all of those cars seem to be pretty expensive around 4000 to 8000 and don't seem to have any around that have been wrecked. I really want to get the parts to do the swap. Is there any other cars that will work? Thanks for any help you can provide

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by theunstated
    Ok... so I have been unable to find any of the mentioned cars above for a reasonable price. Over here in Japan all of those cars seem to be pretty expensive around 4000 to 8000 and don't seem to have any around that have been wrecked. I really want to get the parts to do the swap. Is there any other cars that will work? Thanks for any help you can provide
    This car is hard to find?

If you want to fit a F or G type axle (Hilux/HiAce/etc.), I can tell you an easy way to retrofit disc brakes to that axle.

Celica Supra

That's a celica supra correct? Over here it is a Celica XX. It seems that there are even less of those over here than the other cars listed above. They run from around 6000 - 8000 depending on condition which is a little more than I want to spend on just a rear axle/diff/brakes. As far as the hilux or the hiAce the trucks seem to be way out of price range 8000 - 15000 for the newer ones. Still looking at the HiAce for options. Any others?

Yes, that is a Celica XX...see the fender mirrors, bumpers, grill, and front license plate? :lol:

Anything with a 7.5 we can make happen. Maybe better to get a housing modded in OZ and get it shipped to you...

thanks

I am kinda new to all of this, So be patient please. Get a housing modded in OZ? I assume that is the diff but what is OZ?

OZ = Australia

It may be cheaper for you to buy a AE86 or MA45/46 axle in Australia, have it modded to fit your car, and shipped to JP.