Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C10 gas caps - possible new run soon

C10 gas caps - possible new run soon

Hi

After re-reading NorCal510's KNM thread and seeing the lathed aluminum gas cap I had a very similar thought he did about the handle potentially breaking over time.

So I emailed an old friend in AZ who has CNCs & lathes at his business. I showed him pics, told him there's only maybe 2 dozen C10/C110 owners stateside & asked if he would consider making a run of these?

He's interested and I'm sending him my gas cap in the mail tomorrow - I've requested it be an exact copy of the stock one. He'll confirm dimensions / price and such once he gets a hold of mine & measures it.

So if you're interested, hit me up.
    Curious to see a non-binding show of hands.

I was thinking they could be supplied as bare aluminum and then you could choose to have them anodized or not. On that topic I will have mine hard anodized black by a local vendor who does great work here in the San Gabriel Valley ("Danco"- near Santa Anita horse track) only problem is that they have a minimum lot charge and a couple times I've gone in there I basically overpaid because I had so few items... Maybe we could combine all of ours into one lot and pay less?

If someone has a good anodizing place they like and who has a cheaper lot charge, let me know too? Maybe we could use yours instead?

Can one of you with both C10 & C110 confirm the gas caps for both are identical?

Re: C10 gas caps - possible new run soon

Eric,

Just a suggestion contact Drux. He took over this project after the original person who milled the caps for us was no longer able to finish them. He was telling me some cars filler tubes are tighter/loser than others so he has two examples to test from and could have one made for you.

The c110 cap is twist vs c10 plug style.

:tu:

hmm... ok - interesting...

I'll PM derux

thanks!

-e

I'm interested

Hi Eric,

My name is Peter and I was the one who originally machined a small batch for a couple of guys here. I actually found one more while cleaning up my garage. PM me if you're interested. Congrats on the new Hako btw.

Best,

Peter

im interested

Hi Peter

Nice to meet you - I actually just sent off my gas cap to my buddy yesterday, he's going to receive it today and report back as soon as he's had some time to look it over.
    Depending on what he says I may hit you up.

Wookie & Jgonzo911 - I'm curious, if we went ahead would you prefer to receive yours in raw aluminum? Or would you also want them hard anodized in black?
    Or would you want to do your own anodizing?

-e

I bought an un-finished aluminum one from Rubber-Soul recently. It fits my car nicely, but I'd prefer it to be black anodized to more look like the original black plastic.

I have a few anodizing shops up here that I use for work - let me ask around on lot charges and see if I can find something cheap that we could use.

I might consider having mine anodized with your batch, or even buying one of the ones you have made if they look nicer than the Rubber-Soul piece.

Hey Peter,

Can you post a pic of the rubber soul one?
    What do you not like about it?

Did they change the design?

I'll get pictures of it tonight next to the stock plastic cap. Overall, there is nothing I don't like about it specifically. The fit/finish of it isn't perfect and it's bare aluminum, so if I could get something nicer, I probably still would. It is more or less a perfect fit in my filler neck, though.