Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1972 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon

1972 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon

Hey
    I just purchased a Mazda Estate wagon. It's been sitting for 10+ years in a barn, but seems to be complete and in good shape. It has a small dent on the nose and a little rust on the floorplan but otherwise is very straight and complete. My question is: do these have any real collecter value? The engine and trans are unknown condition (it doesn't run and is locked up) and I'm figuring the hydr. are in need of rebuild. While it would take a serious effort to restore to original condition, it looks like a good canidate for trackday/racecar. Anyone out there have any experience with these cars? I've searched online and haven't found much. A rotary conversion seems likely although I like the idea of a 1.8 miata engine/trans. Keep in mind the car is no diamond in the rough...more like lucky to get a second chance to run again. I have a first gen Rx7 racecar and a GTA alfa vintage racecar that I've raced and restored.

Re: 1970 Mazda 1800 Estate wagon

Hi mate, if you post up a few pictures for us to look at you might get a few more replies. This can be a funny old place as it seems pictures get answer faster.

Hi Oly,
    I think it would be a shame to race such a good looking & historical car. First significant bing and there goes a lot of history.

Whereabouts are you? Would also be interested to see some pics of car -

Stuart.

Hey
    I will post pictures as soon as I can..... my iphone is my only computer and can't load pictures with it (unless someone knows a trick). I'm not sure about racing it, but it most likely will see time as a trackday car. If it does see time in competition it will be company with other racers that are also concerned about smashing up their vintage iron..... my $50K Alfa included.
    I was hoping to find out about the suspension and drivetrain of these Mazda's...
    and of course value. I don't want to convert to rotary or modern drivetrain if they're worth more bone stock..... From what I can find on the net, the only real value is that it's a Bertone design, 1970's Japanese built survivor.

Ok, I picked up the wagon this weekend and was just a bit horrified when I arrived to claim it. Photo's coming soon. My eyes are failing me a bit in old age and my memory is not far behind. Granted, the barn was dark and the car buried under car parts.... The car is rough. I bought it anyway with the intent of building a racecar. As it turns out the car is a 1972, not a 1970 as I stated earlier..... The original 1.8 and 4 spd. are in, it but in unknown condition. Nestled in the back was a twin distributor 12a and a 4spd. complete but condition unknown. Rust has munched its way around enough to lighten the car by at least 50 pounds....(haha)
    This is going to be a fun build.

Update: I pulled the plugs on the 1.8 and #'s 3&4 have smashed the ends of the plugs in a terminal manor.... I'm giving up on the piston engine and moving towards a rotary conversion. I'd like to use the twin dist. 12a that came in the boot, but I don't know what condition it's in and how difficult parts are to find. Pros or cons anyone?? I have a 12a and 5spd. from an 84 Rx7 that is supposed to be in good working order and that will probably end up in the car. Anyone have experience with this swap?? I've done a few rotary conversions but this body design (2 piece driveshaft) is new to me. The way the engine/suspension cradle bolts to the car seems weak and flexible. Any proven mods?
    I cleaned and scrubed the car, popped out a few dents and got the body looking much better. The floorpan is good enough to run, I'll have to weld in a few small patch panels but overall it's good. The lower front valance is damaged beyond repair and I need to source one. Anyone out there have any spares?? I also need a left front fender and left rear tail light.

There are some converted on ausrotary... You might have to sign up but there is some good stuff if you can dig it up..

13bt

Link: http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

12a
    Link: http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

Long owners discussion thread
    http://66.240.222.38/viewtopic.php?f=21 ... 9d8b30e905

Hey
    Thanks for the link. Funny on the timing.... I just signed up with the Aus. Rotary site last night. Great site with lots of info. I've been back and forth with the idea of rotary conversion vs. piston engine..... I'm planning on running the car in the "24 Hours of LeMons" race series. Fuel mileage and pit stops play a huge role in winning, so the rotary is a hard sell in that light. I'm going to do it anyway. I plan on making the rotary engine mounts "bolt in" so that I can switch to a piston engine if so desired.

here are ac couple of pictures:

Thanks for posting those pic's Kiwi808!!
    The car looks worse than it actually is..... After alot of cleanIng it looks better and not so sad. A little rusty and neglected but that's all changing.... I'm going to pick up a 1984 Rx7 this weekend that will provide a 12a, 5spd and maybe rearend.