Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick's Mazda garage.

Mick's Mazda garage.

Well I thought I would post some pics of my mazda's past and present. The story starts in the early 90's when Mazda rotaries were a common find in Australia and at an affordable price for an apprentice electrician. Having owned most examples from Mazda's stable over the next 5 or 6 years (Photo's of which I will post later when I finally get around to scanning the old prints). After that I took time out from cars to travel and after finally coming back to home to Sydney I settled down with a mortgage. It didnt take long before I got the itch for a toy and it simply had to be a mazda. The search began for a familia SS a JDM spec car that didnt reach our shore, a long shot to find but worth the look. During my search nothing original turned up, only a few sta/stb sedans in different states of transformation to a replica. All of them having there good and there bad points. One particular car I viewed had potential with good running gear but a rotten body an offer was made and there was a rotary in my garage again after 10 years.

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

Shot at 2007-01-28

My goal was to build a highly accurate replica of a familia SS, after driving the car around for about 6 months the decision was made that the body was too far gone and a new shell would be a better option. The search turned up a tired car but virtually rust free.The shell was stripped bare and sent to the body shop and the search continued for all the parts needed to transform the car into a accurate replica.

Shot at 2012-04-13

Shot at 2012-04-13

Shot at 2012-04-13

More pics and the rest of the story to come.

Re: Mick's Mazda garage.

Great write up Mick :tu:

YES! More pictures please with the rest of the story..

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

The donor car stripped and getting ready for paint and panel.

Shot at 2012-04-22

The car back from paint shop with all the familia SS mods done.

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Shot at 2012-04-22

Thats a quick pic gallery of the SS the car took about two and a half years to build and I held onto it for about the same again. The car turned out a treat and got around with a lumpy 10A bridgeport. Car has now been sold and after a bit of a break I am ready for the next project details and pics next post.

Re: Mick's Mazda garage. New project 800 estate now home.

Well the next chapter in the story begins, I have had a bit of a soft spot for the 800 estate for a while and had all but done a deal on two of them when I was mid way through building the familia. But by the time the familia was finished and I had room to bring the cars home the owner had a change of heart and the sale fell through. So the hunt began to find a another wagon. Rare? not really, Of great value? hardly, Parts readily available? no chance, Good looking car? maybe to some, Performance? bahahaha. So you may ask as I often do to myself why, why would you spend good money and valuable time trying to restore a car that has almost zero parts availability,will be worth next to nothing when finished, you could almost run faster than it and it steers and handles like a boat? Well what can I say I love a challenge and and my heart longs for mazda micro cars.

Well when I say rare not really, they are not exactly common as such and trying to find a suitable example became a little bit of a task. I got a tip that Mo had one that hadnt made it home to his stable yet. A few phone calls later and a deal had been done. Time for a road trip. Coincidently I had rang the previous owner to purchase this car only to be told it had been sold a few days earlier, strange how things work out some times.

The car while is complete, after close inspection is in need of a full resto nothing on this car looks like it wont need work. Im going to go about this resto in a unorthodox fashion and start by restoring mechanical and running gear first. Im doing this because I have no way of knowing I will be able to find or restore all parts needed to complete this project and the last thing I want is a restored shell that I have poured heaps of time and money into only to find I cant drive the thing cause I cant find mechanical parts. Twice the work but hey some might say twice the fun.

Well enough of my boring banter on to the pictures.

Shot at 2012-04-13

Shot at 2012-05-19

Shot at 2012-05-19

Shot at 2012-05-19

Shot at 2012-04-13
    IMG]http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4594/mick800wagon010.jpg[/IMG]
    Shot at 2012-04-13

:mrgreen: great cars, looking forward to seeing the wagon progress. :tu:

I'd be inclined to tidy it them up and drive them as they are without a full resto. Checkout the latest Unique Cars Magazine, there are 2 Falcon GT's rough as ever but somewhat appealing because they are basically untouched from the 70s and used everyday.

Re: Mick's Mazda garage. New project 800 estate now home.

Quote Originally Posted by jdm10a
    Do I spy a Mazda 808 hiding in this picture...

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy
    I'd be inclined to tidy it them up and drive them as they are without a full resto. Checkout the latest Unique Cars Magazine, there are 2 Falcon GT's rough as ever but somewhat appealing because they are basically untouched from the 70s and used everyday.
    surely a car of this age would need a full restoration???

Amazing. I saved this 800 wagon from Crows Nest near Toowoomba back in 2004. I only sold it late last year and already it has changed hands many times. Great to see it being restored as I only sold it because it was one of many in the queue to be done.

Here is a pic of it when it was found. It was a one owner car. The white one was a 1964 and the green one is a 1965. Yes, it will need a full restoration but not as difficult as some of you may think.