Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My California 1973 240Z

My California 1973 240Z

Hi all,

With all these recent skyline threads I've been a part of, I thought I'd start a little thread of my own about my S30Z before she gets too jealous about the new addition to the family whose keys I get in 2.5 weeks... Since old cars can have a temper, gotta keep them happy! right?

So here goes:

I bought my 73 240Z out of a san gabriel valley craigslist ad in the summer of 2001 from a guy who was the second owner and who was a freelance automotive cartoonist. The car was a bit beat up and needed TLC but I got it for $2500 so I can't complain.

About a year later it started taking shape with fender flares, front & rear spoiler, and a first set of (shallow) Wats:

Re: My California 1973 240Z

The gloss black hood was nice, but the body shop actually misunderstood that I had wanted satin black - I only fixed that years later. Here's a couple more pics of the car as it started out life with me:

It was generously shot pro-bono by a professional automotive photographer friend of mine in Pasadena:

Check out his paying work at http://www.jeffludes.com - Thanks Jeff!

Then it got some magazine coverage love when another photographer friend / writer Zach Mayne shot it for UK mag RetroCars:
    Thanks Zach!

Then it went off the radar for a while so I could change some things around...

I sold off the front Wats and the old rear Wats became the front Wats for a while, and I acquired some 15x10s for the back...
    Always more offset.... it's a bad bad addiction... More on that later...

That required some cutting of the rear wheel arches sheet metal, and the stock suspension was removed

Turned out like this:

Thank you Simon!!

I do all mechanical work myself including engine build / suspension set up / and so on and typically only rely on others for block/head machining and/or welding... One time however I was pressed for time and couldn't swap out a tired stock u-joint before a track day, so I brought it to a local well recommended hot rod shop in South Pasadena (you know where this is going already, don't you?...)

End of the first session (before 10am) in the advanced group, coming out of Turn 16 at Buttonwillow, I shift to 3rd and $%&*@$%@#* ... I managed to coast into the pits...

They had forgotten to put the new spicer u-joint circlip back in after installing it on!!
    Somehow I had unknowingly driven it home on Friday night, driven it all the way up & down the Grapevine Saturday morning, and made it through a portion of the first session before it let go...

So here's me pulling off my front chin spoiler while the nice AAA Premium flatbed guy waits to load the Z...
    Almost 4hrs later I was home... ugh what a day that was... Fixed the u-joint and she was new again, didn't get a refund for my lost track time from the shop though - lame...

Just goes to show you can only trust yourself... lol...

So my Z has ALWAYS been a SoCal car - it was originally sold from Universal City Datsun - I have the original window sticker, the original salesman's business card, and a whole bunch of invoices from the last 39years.... And I've always known that it needed some rust repair from day one... Yes, even SoCal cars can have it bad!

Peel back the old stock tar paper sound deadening and you get this:

Look closely, and you'll see my right shoe! lol...
    Most of this under the passenger seat too, but not nearly as bad under the driver seat...

I opted for the repro frame rails from John @ http://www.baddogparts.com, and the repro floors from Charlie @ http://www.datsunzparts.com and picked a body shop in Pasadena to do the work

If you've ever dealt with body shops before, you know that they rarely finish on time or on budget.
    I went to see Brett @ http://bobsbodyshoppasadena.com/services.html, and he called me on the dot exactly as promised two weeks after I dropped off the car.

I was stunned! Thank you Brett!

After body shop (sorry for poor angle):

And some other outstanding items that I am working on when time permits:

Rear disc brakes (finally!)

Safety21/Cusco cage needs some sorting out regardless of what the US importer says is "normal"...

All in due time, right?
    Thanks for looking!

-e

you got a beautiful z there :tu:

Very nice! Glad to see you got pics up.

...Very nice!

Thanks for the compliments guys...
    More pics to come

Very nice, have to get my own Z back to its original orange color too!