Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Smog

California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Smog

Attention car hobbyists! Flex your power and let your voice be heard. It only takes a few minutes to get the message across. If you don't take action YOU ARE part of the PROBLEM.

n 2004, legislation was enacted to repeal Californiaís rolling emissions-test exemption for vehicles 30 years old and older and replace it with a law requiring the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. This year, a bill has been introduced in the California Senate (S.B. 1224) by Senator Doug LaMalfa (Senator.LaMalfa@senate.ca.gov ) to exempt all motor vehicles prior to the 1981 model year from the emissions inspection requirement. The bill will be considered in the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on March 27, 2012.

We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for S.B. 1224

S.B. 1224 recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1981 vehicles on emissions and air quality.

S.B. 1224 acknowledges that pre-1981 vehicles still constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

S.B. 1224 endorses the fact that pre-1981 vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven (a fraction of the miles each year as a new vehicle).

For years, legislators, regulators and stationary source polluters have felt the heat from failed efforts to meet air quality goals and have looked to older cars as a convenient scapegoat, using false data and inflated annual mileage assumptions to further their case. S.B. 1224 helps validate the truth. The old car hobby should not continue to carry the burden of past mistakes!
    DONíT DELAY! Please contact members of the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee immediately to request their support of S.B. 1224. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at stevem@sema.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content ... 2&g=SEMAGA

Re: California Bill to Exempt pre-1981 Vehicles From Smog

my feelings are mixed on this since the last time we voted to change the SMOG law, the politicians (thanks to lobbyist pressure) repealed it & made things worse than before

we should be working on a bill to obliterate the useless, tax-gobbling CARB
    -Matt

Well its always worth a try isn't it? :?

Wow, I hope this is real. I'll do a litle research before I leave my ID out in cyberspace. I still hate Arnie for screwing me; I haven't touched my 79 Celica since 1992 because of that change in law. If this passes, I can get to work on it!

What I REALLY want to see is a ban on oxygenated (alcohol) gas. I can't see what good it does with today's fuel-injected, closed loop fuel system. Seems to me adding an oxygenate will just make the ECU run richer, defeating the addition of oxygenates. Maybe this bill will be a first step towards that...

I'll keep my eye on this one, hopefully they don't try to turn it around on us haha. Agreed on taking out the :td: CARB

...That's the dream, isn't it?

It appears that California's air quality is better than ever lately, I don't know what government agency/policy to applaud for this (or whether to thank the recession for reduced overall travel and commerce), but I'm pretty sure that the actions of a minority of a minority of owners of cars that are basically extinct from everyday use anyway will not affect anything at all environmentally... The change from pre-75 to pre-81 is one I can't imagine really making a difference to the general public, but it would e a nice concession to us enthusiasts.

(Says the man in an emissions exempt, yet bone stock, 280z )

They can rid Chino and Ontario of cows, and it'd probably make more of an emissions difference :lol:

^ right, and the last politician to try and outlaw old cars hailed from the San Joaquin Valley
    (figure that one out)
    -Matt

why cant they just go to pre 83.. that would cover the 280zx too. Hope this works.

seriously i hope it works out i wrote to them :P

Any news on sb1224Ņ