Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS-45 Brake Upgrades

MS-45 Brake Upgrades

I'm finally working on brake upgrades for our 1967 MS-45 Crown.

Better disc brakes up front and drum to disc swap in the rear.

Up front I'm using the early Ford Falcon disc brake kit from Wilwood (Part Number 140-11071) and in the rear, I'm using the 87-88 Ford T-Bird disc brakes. Summit Racing makes a complete kit (Part Number SUM-BK1328)

I am eliminating the hyrda-vac booster and running a Wilwood dual master cylinder (Part Number 260-8794) which has the same bolt pattern on the firewall. I expect a firm pedal but it should stop on a dime.

I have spent the last year or so researching and gathering parts. I finally have everything together and will start installing. I'll try to take as many pictures as possible and keep track of any more part numbers needed. I will be waterjet cutting my own caliper brackets front and rear and any other misc. stuff needed. I will make the parts or drawings (DXF) available to anyone who needs them.

Re: MS-45 Brake Upgrades

cool ,this could probably work on mx1* corona mark II's

post updates as they come!

Also interested in this.

Good luck !

Very interested to see this, Would love to know all of my possibilities on my rear end swap.

Any updates on this?

Sorry for the delay guys. Here is the front spindle bare. I only show this for reference because my grease seal was rusted to the spindle (see rust stains) and it looked like it was part of the spindle. It took some heat and whacks with a chisel to remove.

Here is the rear axle tube. Again, all the old parts are removed. The only part I reused is the bearing retainers (2nd pic.) The bearing retainer is removed from the brake backing plate and axle by pressing the bearing off of the axle. With the axle removed from the brake backing plate, you can press this retainer out of the backing plate. The studs that hold it in place have splines so it takes some force to remove.

This is the rear mock up. The caliper is 87-88 T-Bird and the bracket is waterjet cut from 3/8" stainless steel. Caliper alignment is perfect without the need of spacers or shims.

Here you see the parking brake mechanism that is under the right side of the car. I removed the cables on the rear axle and the cable that attached to this mechanism. I will be using Lokar universal parking brake cables that are designed to be used with the T-Bird calipers.

Here is the Right Rear assembled. If you look closely, you can see a spacer ring in the center of the rotor. The T-Bird kit is designed to be used with a Ford 9" rear end. The 9" is available in two axle sizes. The kit comes with rotors sized for the large axles and a spacer in case you have the small axles. Unfortunately, the Crown axles fall right in between the two sizes. A local machine shop turned the axles down to fit the spacers in just a few minutes for $25 each.

This is the inside view of the left rear. Note the brake hose retainer tab welded to the axle housing. These little tabs don't do much so take it easy on the welding. You only need a small weld. Remember the axle housing has gear oil in it and the gas tank is right above your head when welding these on!

Since the original wheels where 14", I needed new wheels to fit the brakes. I've used Wheel Vintiques for other projects and have always been pleased. The rears are 16"x7" and the fronts are 16"x6". Not sure on tire size yet.

This is absolutely fantastic. When you are done, could you make a detailed parts list? I am considering making my MX13 a daily, and would love to upgrade the brakes. What will you be doing to address the fact that the master cylinder and proportioning valve are meant for rear drums? (From what I've read, dual master cylinders that run rear drums are designed to maintain a bit of residual line pressure to the rear slaves)

I'm changing the master to a Wilwood unit (260-8794) - same bolt pattern on the firewall. Also running the adjustable Wilwood proportioning valve.