Thread: Last of the 1st gen RX-7s?

Last of the 1st gen RX-7s?

Hello,

Please help satisfy my curiosity regarding the end of FB production. My 85 GSL-SE has a serial number ending in 909151. There are date stamps of 6-85 on the wheels. However, Black Dragon Auto list FB production ending in May 2005, and serial numbers ending at 899999.

Does any one else have or know of an FB with a later serial number?

Also, I am interested in finding sales and production numbers of 1st and 2nd gen RX-7s, hopefully broken down by model type, ie convertible, turbo, etc.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

Jim

FB production ended at 1985. The easiest way to look at he final month chassis prefixes of the US model is by downloading the US parts catalog which is online. Google a bit and you ll find it. Probably you ll spot it also online at the (US) RX7 club.

Thanks,
    I looked at RX7Club.com and found several FBs with VINs later than mine.
    Sure wish that Mazda did a better job sharing information on their history. They must have detailed records somewhere on production numbers and model and option group numbers.

Production identification numbers and dates of cars dont always make sense.

The only secure way to identify when the car was built, is the chassis number. In every mazda parts catalog after early 70s there is the "chassises"produced per month. There are some other helpful points to look at, as the safety belts indications, but they are not that secure.

here is a bad reproduction I found in my computer of the Us RX7s

Its still clear that the last cars of US model RX7s were produced at August 1985.