Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Toyota Corona - Return of the Living Dead...56K LOL!!!!

1971 Toyota Corona - Return of the Living Dead...56K LOL!!!!

Update 12/28/12 Testing new look for 2013..

Test fitting fenders and wheels

This love story started when I spot this quirky little car across the street from my gf house and I snapped some pictures so I could later find out what model it was.

Finally spoke to the older gentleman and worked out a deal. I think I paid a little too much but he must have felt the car was worth alot because he recently "overhauled" the motor. Either way we met in the middle of what we both wanted and I drove her home on a sunny saturday afternoon.

Some shots when she got to her new home

After getting her home I started really checking everything out and thought WTF did I get myself into. and snapped some more pictures.

So I drove it in it current condition for a week and realized it ran great, got 30 mpg hwy, and only cost 40 bucks to fill up. Which was awesome compared to you G35 which is $85 to fill up and gets a wooping 17-18 mpg.

So yeah I was happy. About a week into having the car I got a couple days off and decided it was time to tear the car apart and see what was really going on.

I figured I would start in one section and complete that before I moved on the the next. And after opennig the trunk and looking around, it was aparent that I had to start there. So I started ripping out the trunk vinyl and started grinding off all the rust.

Break Time!..... I have to run to the gym I'll be back in an hour to post lots more pictures.

thanks for viewing

and I'm back....

Ok so I grinded out the rust from the trunk and top of the gas tank, side walls inside trunk and arond the lid of the trunk which was pretty bad. I also found a new gasket for the rim of the trunk and installed that.

I then coated it with the rust reformer paint and then with that rubber truck bed liner stuff / under coat spray

So then I decided the front would be next. I started with the door because it wasn't lined up right and it was buggin the crap out of me everytime I saw it. So now its aligned with the rear door and frame

Next I attacked the front of the car, I removed everything and started grinding all the rust off of the frame.

then hit it all with a coat of rust protectant/reformer and then covered in white primer.

passanger side

driver side

shot to compare

then coated with white primer

Then I got the head light buckets and got the rust off and spray with rust reformer. These will stay black for now.

here I'm trying to get a feel of how it will look with the grill blacked out and back on

grill looks off cuz I didn't bolt it down, i just laid it over the lights.

grill before

grill after with fresh coat of black

the replacement bumper I found at pick a part

I started working on the replacement fender i found this past week.

replacment fenders before

replacement passanger side

grinding off rust and banging out dents and dings

picture of the two original fenders

Re: 1971 Toyota Corona - Return of the Living Dead...56K LOL

Looking good so far. Although, I would get the white primer covered in paint or something cause the rust will come back then if everything I have read is correct. Primer absorbs moisture and does not work as a sealant.

great job :tu:

the frame will be sprayed with white paint after i get the fenders taken care of. I'm painting the car its original color. I like the blue but I want a white car, with black fender flares. This build is being inspired by the skylines of the same year. Kenmari skyline I seen that was silver with black fender flares looked good and I wanted to replicate the look but in white.

Looks like you are having alot of fun on this one. Love garage built cars. Keep up the good work.

Hands down my favorite 70s Toyota. 8)

Glad to see it getting some love. :tu: :mrgreen:

Dude! I am picking up on some similarities here. Too cool! Looking forward to more progress.

Very cool, but PLEASE black out the front of the core support. Body color showing through the grille is a serious no-no and makes me want to rage on every moron at a classic car show.

Otherwise, awesome fast progress, can't wait to see what you'll do. 8)

I was thinking about blacking it out, but I wasn't sure if thats how it came from the factory. I'm not trying to do a factory restoration but just trying to keep it close. but it is something thing that I will see about doing once I get the fenders and front panel repaired and ready to go back on.

One question can anyone i with photo shop skills change my wheels up into a gloss black and like a polished look. I'm trying to decide which way I will go with the wheels as I'm not looking at rims for now until most of the car is done.

I believe that you may own this model Corona, not sure forgot what your grill looked like,

Cool