Update 12/28/12 Testing new look for 2013..
Test fitting fenders and wheels
This love story started when I spot this quirky little car across the street from my gf house and I snapped some pictures so I could later find out what model it was.
Finally spoke to the older gentleman and worked out a deal. I think I paid a little too much but he must have felt the car was worth alot because he recently "overhauled" the motor. Either way we met in the middle of what we both wanted and I drove her home on a sunny saturday afternoon.
Some shots when she got to her new home
After getting her home I started really checking everything out and thought WTF did I get myself into. and snapped some more pictures.
So I drove it in it current condition for a week and realized it ran great, got 30 mpg hwy, and only cost 40 bucks to fill up. Which was awesome compared to you G35 which is $85 to fill up and gets a wooping 17-18 mpg.
So yeah I was happy. About a week into having the car I got a couple days off and decided it was time to tear the car apart and see what was really going on.
I figured I would start in one section and complete that before I moved on the the next. And after opennig the trunk and looking around, it was aparent that I had to start there. So I started ripping out the trunk vinyl and started grinding off all the rust.
Break Time!..... I have to run to the gym I'll be back in an hour to post lots more pictures.
thanks for viewing
and I'm back....
Ok so I grinded out the rust from the trunk and top of the gas tank, side walls inside trunk and arond the lid of the trunk which was pretty bad. I also found a new gasket for the rim of the trunk and installed that.
I then coated it with the rust reformer paint and then with that rubber truck bed liner stuff / under coat spray
So then I decided the front would be next. I started with the door because it wasn't lined up right and it was buggin the crap out of me everytime I saw it. So now its aligned with the rear door and frame
Next I attacked the front of the car, I removed everything and started grinding all the rust off of the frame.
then hit it all with a coat of rust protectant/reformer and then covered in white primer.
shot to compare
then coated with white primer
Then I got the head light buckets and got the rust off and spray with rust reformer. These will stay black for now.
here I'm trying to get a feel of how it will look with the grill blacked out and back on
grill looks off cuz I didn't bolt it down, i just laid it over the lights.
grill after with fresh coat of black
the replacement bumper I found at pick a part
I started working on the replacement fender i found this past week.
replacment fenders before
replacement passanger side
grinding off rust and banging out dents and dings
picture of the two original fenders