Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: strange 70s corolla need help have no idea!!!

strange 70s corolla need help have no idea!!!

I collect and restore cars and ran across this car the other day. I don't know anything about japanese cars but something made me buy this strange little car. The more I research this, the more strange it gets. It is a te-51 LKDA according to engine code. It has the 2t-c engine which is Im gathering the 1800 but most liftbacks Ive found have the 1200. Also, I am a very experienced body man and the fenders and tail(spoiler) are metal. I also have looked very closly and would honestly say that the kit was factory installed.It looks to be a sun chaser type kit but it has been on car since delivery. The car has never been repainted. The story behind the car, a army officer bought the car while enlisted and left it his parents home in GA. He returned from the army in 82. From 82-85 he recieved two dui's. Ga put a 5 year suspenion on his lic and he put the car on blocks in the barn with 55k on it. He was killed two years later. The car has not moved until a fellow associate pulled it out and I bought it from him. I have spent a week trying to find any 76 corolla liftback that even resembles this car. I cannot and absolutley befuddled by this. I am more of a german(Porsche) man , but this car is a mystery at best. The wheels are even toyota and have the little crown in the emblem areas. I saw the rims on a few wrc cars that were celicas in the late 70's photos. Any help would be greatly apprecited as Im going to restore it, for kicks if nothing else. LEt me know
    oh by the way, the reason I say all original, the paint is original,no spray lines and the spray lines are or rather not there on the transitions in the kit. No bondo no blending, this had to be assembled with car. I would almost bet on it.

Re: strange 70s corolla need help have no idea!!!

The 2TC is actually a 1600. Solid engines.

Any picks? May give people more ideas on the car. Didn't know the mid 70's had many body pieces available.

sorry here it ok maybe not it wont let me load it...don't know why
    any picture a 76 liftback yellow with suncather body kit, spiral wagon wheels and front spliter intergrated into flares.. door tag is pristine and dentotes it as te51 witch some say is a sports coupe but this is definatley a hatch.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1438.l2649
    this was a link from the guy I bought it from,pics should still be up

Haha! I just recently posted this in the ad/auction section on our forum. The te51 is pretty common. But I will agree that the flares and wing I am not familiar with. It would be interesting to find out the origin of these. Congrats on the purchase by the way!

It probably is called a sport coupe. Toyota didn't understand this concept of hatchback lol. My hatchback is called a sport coupe for some reason.

according to a file I recieved from a guy this morning...this was a option code for america but under numbers produced..it is blank. Any ideas..again, I have looked for weeks and nothing anywhere close. Lots of coupes non liftback with flares but no spoiler. A few suncathers from the 77-78 years with the spoiler and flares. It is truly odd and thats me to a tee but if I restore it, I would like to know how rare this code was. Funny little car and be first japanese car restore for me. Don't wont to hack it up if it truly is a weird frankenstein beast. Chevrolet was notorious for small number F*@k ups they released to the public. AtLEAST IN THE 70S, i STILL THINK THE 1970 CAMARO IS BASTARD CHILD but collectors seem to like it. keep the thought coming

OK SOMETHING ELSE STRANGE....this just gets wierder and wierder..
    the car show by stamp code to be a 2t-c and its my understanding the c reflected the calfornia emmissions section but the stamp code on the door clearly states this car not intended for california market due to lack of emmisson equipment. ODD at best. any ideas on that one

Quote Originally Posted by balc24
    OK SOMETHING ELSE STRANGE....this just gets wierder and wierder..
    the car show by stamp code to be a 2t-c and its my understanding the c reflected the calfornia emmissions section
    That does not mean California emissions. It's just the name of the engine.

ok some guy a club 4ag sent me a toyota motor family tree. It was stating that was how toyota denoted the engine code.lol
    again japanese not forte but Im learning
    thanks for the site though,its been cool learning about all of this. may not be my last yoda ...
    my 13 year old loves the car