Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust

Another one bites the dust

In the course of my job as a news photographer at a local TV station, I did a story on the 'success' of the CARS program. The dealer we were at had 60 or so cars that they had taken in under the program. I was told that I could go and shoot the lot were they were storing them till they could be picked up by the salvage company. Imagine my surprise when on the back row I spied this...

Of course, if belongs to this...

Very definitely doomed this car is...

Don't worry, I am trying to work to save it the best I can. Unfortunately, the only way to save it before the salvage man comes for it is to hand the dealer 4500$ As much as I like cressies, the car after careful examination, is not worth anywhere near 4500$ So there are other plans in the works to try and save it.
    Sorry for the quality of the pics, they are freeze frames from the video I shot as I did not have my camera with me at the time.

I knew these posts would start . My little heart can't take reading another one of these horror stories, lol. Alot of good cars got sacrificed to this program .

I'm a little surprised the stock MPG of that car is low enough to qualify... :?

That is what I thought. The dealer that we spoke with said that the government had changed the rules 3 times on them. He didn't say how or what they changed. I am thinking that the MPG rule must have been changed some how. I thought that the cressida got like 18/25 or something like that new. There were a couple of cars that I saw... Lexus GS 300 with the 2JZ. Best part of that car is the engine and it has to go. Scary part is this was just one dealer in a large metro area. How many more cars like this are going to be crushed away? I am gonna start stalking the dealer's back lots and see if I can't save a few more from the salvage yards...

Thats sad.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieRA29
    That is what I thought. The dealer that we spoke with said that the government had changed the rules 3 times on them. He didn't say how or what they changed.
    Well, it started at 18mpg, but right before they put a hold on the program they bumped it up to 22mpg. I think if they were telling the truth about this program they would lower it to get the gross polluters off the road, which was the lie they told us about the need for the program in the first place.

How many more cars like this are going to be crushed away? I am gonna start stalking the dealer's back lots and see if I can't save a few more from the salvage yards...
    According to all the information on the government website, they can't be saved. They have to be crushed or dismantled. :?

One man's trash is another man's treasure.. no better an example than this!

I want to cry now. I just pulled my Cressida out to work on it some more. I also see there is a T100 next to it, so very sad.

Since it is doomed, I wish I could get the grille off of it for my Cressy.

Ugh. I somehoe figured a Cressida was going to end up in this.

I did find that (at least one local dealer)'s cars are all going to a junkyard that is parting them rather than outright scrapping, but it's still a waste. That dealer is also just draining the oil out of the cars and (thus far at least) not seizing the motors. I watched my friend's 60,000 mile '96 Crown Vic be driven onto a flatbed and hauled to the junkyard. :shake: It had been drained of oil but still ran well, though I doubt anyone would pay for that motor at this point anyhow.

I had gotten permission from said dealer to take a few parts off an Econoline that was being towed away that day, and I managed to get the front bumper, turn signals, and a door panel off of it. I had removed the entire passenger door (it was the same color as mine, which is rotted through), but then some managers came out screaming at me and basically made me put the door right back onto the van so it could be hauled off on a flatbed. All hell broke loose when I took off that door. I would have just ran off with it, but it's heavy, and at that point I had 5 managers basically surrounding me and screaming, plus the salesman who gave me permission to take some parts was called out and started bitching too (Quite frankly, I still think he owes me, when my mother traded in my grandfather's '95 LeSabre 5 years ago on a new Five Hundred, which ended up being a slow, gas-guzzling pile of shit and was nowhere near as good a car as the LeSabre was, this assclown was supposed to help me buy the Buick back and basically lied to me, still pissed about that, it was a fantastic car I'd spent a couple hundred dollars fixing interior trim and replacing broken parts on two weeks before it got traded in).

Anyhow, that was my Cash For Clunkers story. The reasoning behind me being screamed at was that the van "still belonged to the owner" and they hadn't been paid for it.... but the oil had been drained out of the engine and it was being hauled to a junkyard that day, which I called and ended up buying the door from anyways. So basically, that dude still owns the van, the motor is screwed, and a junkyard has it in their possession and is already parting it out.

Is this a dumb program or what?

Right next to it was a fully loaded 4 Runner V6. There were mostly mini vans and pickups/SUVs that had been traded in. There was a 2002 Nissan Xterra that had been traded in. I couldn't believe that it was considered a clunker. There were a few 'clunkers' turned in. A first gen Acura Legend 2 door, that had seen better days. A mid 90s Chevy Blazer. Several early to mid 90s Jeeps, Dodge Caravans, Ford Exploders... I mean Explorers. It read like a whos who of best sellers from the last 20 years. That was the story really, the top ten cars being traded in were American cars and the top ten cars being bought were imports. The number 1 car traded in was the Explorer, which, at the start of the SUV craze, was the number one SUV sold. Around here, it seemed like everybody had an Explorer in the 90s. The Camry topped the list of cars bought, but of course, it has been the number one selling car in America for a couple of years now.
    As far as the saving of the cars go, the engine must be disabled, but the rest of the car can be stripped of parts. I was planning on contacting the wrecking yard that is picking up the cars and asking about making a trade. They are just looking at the scrap cost on the car and not the salvage money. I figure, that I can offer them some money, to let me strip the car of all the parts I and others might need. Afterwards, they can keep the hulk to get the scrap money out of it. I believe that the cars must be crushed within 6 months of being traded in.