Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1985 Mazda 323 1500 Estate (RWD)

1985 Mazda 323 1500 Estate (RWD)

Some of you might have seen it, but here is The War Wagon. Bought as a project, it is a really nice car - just needs a bit of tidying up. Looks rough in places, but is solid where it counts and will benefit greatly from a bit of welding/paint. The panels are very straight, surprisingly free of "old boy" dents. Has just under 53K miles on the clock, I reckon probably genuine given the condition of the interior.

Here is on arrival off the trailer - exhaust is missing a part and the starter doesn't quite work right, but it fired up and the engine sounds very nice indeed. It's a D5 1500 unit, no pics of it sadly - soon I promise.

Gave it a quick clean and put some trim rings on it, because I felt like that would be a classy thing to do. Also spent hours with a mate removing the utterly horrid pink/black pinstripe which was frustratingly brittle, but is now gone forever.

Not sure what has happened here, possibly water has got in through the middle bit of the window seal where there is meant to be a thing over it. Either that or the rear washer is leaking. Undecided whether to repair this properly or see about obtaining a new tailgate, seems solid, but I'm worried about what I might not be able to see.

So, the plans are for now to tidy it up and drive it in stock form. Think I'm going to shotblast the steels and repaint them in shiny silver, bodywork will be overhauled, rubbing strip residue to be removed shortly, good service, new exhaust and a bit of tinkering and it'll be back on the road!

Should prove a useful hauler of wheels and the like this year, but who knows, might end up doing something daft with it. RX-7 MK1 wheels would be smart.

Administrator
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I love that shade of pale green. Congrats on the new acquisition. :tu:

Cool, nice score! I love the high roof, kind of a mini Ambulance look.

Cheers! I like the weird green colour, I think it'll shine up well being a metallic. But as it requires paint I'm not touching the polish and wax until that gets sorted.

The high roof is odd, works for me though!

Hirst, nice work man, let me know if you need any bits and pieces. One of my boomerang cars has come back, a 1985 323 5 door wagon. I gave it to a friend so he had something to drive. He dropped it back last weekend and its a little worse for wear so I'll wreck it(he did a good job though!)

Cheers! If you've got any, I'd love to have the steel wheel centre caps. New front grille/badge would be nice too, I think mine has been de-chromed or something.

Hirst, the front took a big hit, so the grille is a goner! All of our grilles except the 1982/3 5 door deluxe wagon had boring old black plastic grilles so its probably right. The badge though is very similar to the last Rx-3 type with chrome on the outline and white fill in on the letters.

All the wagons here of that vintage got a full plastic hubcap that wasn't very inviting! I do have a lot of those caps so I'll have a look to see if any will do the job. You're meaning the little cap type ones that clip over the rubber rings in the centre of the rim?

Another chap you could try is Richard, a good friend of mine who resides in the UK. He has a lot of NOS parts for the 323. His email is JMAZDAMAN at aol dot com (didn't want to put the full version there!) He could possibly have a new grille as well.

Yeah it's the little 2-inch sort of things that sit over the hole in the middle of the steel wheel I'm after. Definitely not full hubcaps, not very inviting as you say!! Oh, and a standard A-Pillar aerial if you've got one! Mine is missing, but the holes remain. Will get in touch with that chap too, cheers!

At some point I will sort the hubs out so I can change PCD and apply some Bilbo action from the Galant (as that will be getting new wheels anyway):

Will I be daft to do so? Probably, but I like to take dull models and apply crazy wheels - it's my "look". For now I'd just like to get it on the road standard, anything to tidy it up will be welcomed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirst
    Will I be daft to do so? Probably, but I like to take dull models and apply crazy wheels - it's my "look". For now I'd just like to get it on the road standard, anything to tidy it up will be welcomed.
    That's a good look! Be sure to apply some lowering too :wink:

Lowering?! What's that?

(it will get appropriate lowering, don't worry)