Thread: abrasive blasting

abrasive blasting

hi everyone,
    i am in the process of starting a resto and after reading countless forums and articles and research i am still not yet decided on which way to go. The options are soda, sand, and bead blasting. i am from melbournes northern suburbs so if anyone can recommend anyone or any blasting system to use would be appreciated?????????
    thanks.

Re: abrasive blasting

I've seen some good results with soda blasting, sand blasting can damage thin metal and warp panels.

The only downside (and I mean slight, besides price) to soda is that it leaves the metal so smooth it will need to be roughed up a little to get the primer to bond. Other than that I would go with soda.

Id suggest media. Sand is fine but make sure the blaster has years or experience or expect the panels to come back warped from all the heat the sand builds. Soda is nice when you are doing a light resto.

Remember when it comes to blasting cheaper is not always better. Best of luck.

i did my own sanblasting in areas of the floor pan and the engine bay and soon the trunk.

for the outside i reccommend paint stripper, it worked well for me then use a epoxy primer or etching primer...

nver sandblast panels period, they warp. (but if you do it yourself at very low pressure, may take longer, and not warp) but some sandblaster shops dont care and will warp and wont pay for damages.

I would opt for soda and use an epoxy primer. I've done some aircraft restoration work and I've found that the two part epoxy primer wears like iron, keeps moisture out and bonds to metal extremely well. I once got a drop of it on a shiny door knob and had to scrape it off with an old screwdriver. As I recall it was not cheap in price.