Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1st 13B Rotary 74 RX4 & Last 13B 93 FD-Collection Gr

The 1st 13B Rotary 74 RX4 & Last 13B 93 FD-Collection Gr

Hello,

I have posted my 74 RX4 Coupe here before. Now my collection has grown. What I did not realize until I was making this post is that I now own two examples of Mazda's first and last 13B Rotary engine models, kind of neet. Mazda's first model to feature the 13B Rotary engine was the 1974 RX4 Coupe and their last was the third generation RX7 known as the FD series and 1993 was the first year of that model in North America. Both are 100% stock low mile unrestored examples and will remain as such being garage queens side by side and only driven on nice sunny days.

1974 RX4 Coupe 13B Rotary (the first 13B model). Carb motor.
    100% original and all stock with 33000 original miles-no rebuild
    Original paint and interior-nothing has been changed or restored on the car and does not need to be, it is as new (no dash cracks)!

1993 RX7 13B-REW Rotary (the last 13B model). Fuel injected motor with the first sequential twin turbo engine released in North America.
    100% original and all stock with 14000 original miles-no rebuild
    Original paint and interior-nothing has been changed or restored on the car and does not need to be, it is as new!

Two cars 20 years apart, the first and the last 13B Rotary's.

Thanks for looking

Max G

The 1974 RX4

The 1993 RX7 FD

Again, thanks for looking,

Max G

Actually Mazda has the 13B-MSP in the RX8, so technically you dont have the first and last

Nice cars tho, FD's are dope

Max, I could look at that Rx-4 all day. They would certainly be two very different cars to drive! I'd still drive the Rx-4 though any day!!

But dude, the 13B RX-8 is all side port and those weird renesis rotors, sorta a different 13B really!

13B-RX8

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal_510
    Actually Mazda has the 13B-MSP in the RX8, so technically you dont have the first and last

Hello

I was under the impression that Mazda advertises the RX8 as the first new Rotary in decades. I thought was considered a Renesis Rotary and not a 13B also having changed the displacement from 1.3 to a larger one for the first time since 1974?
    As well, sorry not sure I understood what you meant by the FD being "dope". Is that a good opionion or negative? Maybe I should have posted and included myself as the third in my growing vintage collection.

Regards

Max

Very Different

Quote Originally Posted by B1500boy
    Max, I could look at that Rx-4 all day. They would certainly be two very different cars to drive! I'd still drive the Rx-4 though any day!!

But dude, the 13B RX-8 is all side port and those weird renesis rotors, sorta a different 13B really!
    Hello B1500boy,

I would have to agree with you on taking the RX4 over the 93FD any day. I love vintage cars and most of all rotary's. I love my RX4 and I have driven her some, pers and is smooth as silk. Just that our summers are so short here and I have to drive on busy highways to go to work everyday, using the RX4 for that just upsets me as it would certainly wear her. Plus I have a 2 year old daughter now and I wanted something a little more modern and safer (for me with airbags god forbid) in case. I would not put my daughter in either though. If I end up not having the same passion for the FD as I do the RX4 I will be able to sell it for at least the same price I paid.

I will post some more pics of the RX4 once I have her all cleaned up and detailed for the summer months. I have not done so yet since buying her in fall of 2006.

Thanks

Max

Administrator
    Always great to see that RX4. She's a beaut.

P.S. I think "dope" means good :wink:

Re: 13B-RX8

Quote Originally Posted by maxg765
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal_510

Hello

I was under the impression that Mazda advertises the RX8 as the first new Rotary in decades. I thought was considered a Renesis Rotary and not a 13B also having changed the displacement from 1.3 to a larger one for the first time since 1974?
    As well, sorry not sure I understood what you meant by the FD being "dope". Is that a good opionion or negative? Maybe I should have posted and included myself as the third in my growing vintage collection.

Regards

Max
    Who knows haha, I just know they the first model in 03 was called the 13b msp but it doesnt really matter, your cars are sweet and thats whats important

and yea sorry, dope was meant to be cool, sweet, great, top notch etc etc

I love that RX4 of yours, a beauty. The US bumbers is really ugly, is it possible to change to the euro/Aus/jap bumbers and store the US one. Then the car would be 100% visually (and you would still had the original in storage) and 98% technically. (99% for the 4-speed and 100% for the 5-speed). I have a 1975 RX4HT 13B 5-speed under restoration, but it will not be as good as yours. Anyone know wich country got the 5-speed? Did the US or Aus models got the 5-speed? I know UK got 50 units.

100%

Quote Originally Posted by 123sub
    I love that RX4 of yours, a beauty. The US bumbers is really ugly, is it possible to change to the euro/Aus/jap bumbers and store the US one. Then the car would be 100% visually (and you would still had the original in storage) and 98% technically. (99% for the 4-speed and 100% for the 5-speed). I have a 1975 RX4HT 13B 5-speed under restoration, but it will not be as good as yours. Anyone know wich country got the 5-speed? Did the US or Aus models got the 5-speed? I know UK got 50 units.
    Hello,

Thanks for the notes. I wanted to change the bumpers as I don't like them either. They do however look worse in pictures then in real life. I decided not to touch the car as since my getting it I have learned that finding an RX4 Coupe in original state and not requiring any work is very rare if not next to impossible. I don't even need to clean the car and have not done so yet. She will get detailed this summer for the first time since new in 1974. For the reason that everything is original I wont change to the nicer non US bumpers as I would not be able to say she is 100% untouched anymore. I had plans for a manual conversion as well prior to getting her but thats gone too, hence the FD purchase.
    From what I know both the US and Ausi got manual cars but I don't know how many to each.

Oh, almost forgot, since you mention you are restoring one. I have all the original shop manuals for the US Spec cars including the 75 parts book and both a separate transmission and emissions booklet sent to me by Mazda Canada after they heard about my car and saw pictures. If i can and you need any info I can try and look it up for you, maybe scan a section and email it if you are stuck on something.

Thanks again,

Max

Administrator
    Hi Max,

I agree. Considering the immaculate condition your car is in, I wouldn't do any modifications that aren't reversible. As Indiana Jones would say it belongs in a museum.