Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fender rolling, what say ye?

Fender rolling, what say ye?

Okay, got the supra rims on the cressi, MX73. They look super!! Even Bear the shop dog likes 'em

Seems though, that the previous owner either chopped the springs or put lowering springs on. I am getting some serious tire rub over even the smallest bumps.

So, it would appear that some fender rolling is in order. Having never done any fender rolling, what is the best way? Should I just get some pipe, put the car on jacks stands and just roll the pipe between the tire and fender? Is it really that simple. Help me out guys as I don't want to cut the tires. Oh yeah, the tires are 225 60 R14 all the way around. here is what I am looking at for clearance. Not the best pic, but I can't get my fingers past the first knuckle between the tire and the fender.

TIA

get smaller tires!! those are monster truck tires.... get a set of 185/60 and you wont rub anymore without having to roll your fenders.

185 is a wimpy width... or should I stretch them on the rims???? Funny part is only the back tires rub. The fronts, which are the same width don't rub at all on bumps. I still have to replace the alternator :x Oh yeah, I keep remembering things after I post the reply. The tires came directly off of my 83 supra.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieRA29
    185 is a wimpy width... or should I stretch them on the rims???? Funny part is only the back tires rub. The fronts, which are the same width don't rub at all on bumps. I still have to replace the alternator :x Oh yeah, I keep remembering things after I post the reply. The tires came directly off of my 83 supra.
    then go ahead and bash on your fenders just cause you want fat tires. and just to let you know 185s isnt a strtch on a 14x7 and if only the back rubs and not the front then you either have differen size tires or theres something wrong with your car cause the rear cambers in if it is lowered like you said which gives the rear a little more clearance. and i knew they came off a supra cause no one put tires that wide on anything else!

Quote Originally Posted by booyaka
    if only the back rubs and not the front then you either have differen size tires or theres something wrong with your car cause the rear cambers in if it is lowered like you said which gives the rear a little more clearance.
    It doesn't mean "there's something wrong with the car". :P

It's simply because the front fender lips bend up from the factory and the rear lips are parallel with the ground. :wink:

I normally use a wooden baseball bat, not pipe. Seems to do less paint damage. :tu:

haha bro on older cars i found its best to hammer the inner lip on older toyotas because the metal it so thick it will actually distort the rear quater panels like i ended up doin . yours might have thin metal thugh since its newer. If you do hammer make sure you you have your hand on the outside of the fender as a support or it WILL destort. Expect the paint to chip.

great how to vid if you speak japanese
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTK9IjKIYU

if you have a solid rear end the wheels wont camber when you hit bumps. It will only camber in during cornering. In layman's terms

Easy...

Step one, get a heat gun.
    Step two, get at least a 5lb or dead blow hammer.
    Step three, heat area up thats rubbing.
    Step four, wack metal into place!

There you go!

This is what we did on my MX32, and it worked perfectly!

Rent a fender roller and heat gun for a few days:

http://www.esetuning.com/ProductDetails ... LER-RENTAL

Quote Originally Posted by "booyaka
    then go ahead and bash on your fenders just cause you want fat tires. and just to let you know 185s isnt a strtch on a 14x7 and if only the back rubs and not the front then you either have differen size tires or theres something wrong with your car cause the rear cambers in if it is lowered like you said which gives the rear a little more clearance. and i knew they came off a supra cause no one put tires that wide on anything else!
    First let me apologize, I keep forgetting that you can't see a smirk through the internet :lol: Second, It looks like I am going to have to go with a smaller width tire. I took the fronts off tonight and I am getting some serious rub on the struts. The passenger's side is worse than the driver's, but both rub. I am going to put the stock tires and rims back on and look for some decent 185s or 195s to put back on the supra rims. I may still look at rolling the fenders later on.

Okay, I picked up four 185 65 R14 tires today. I also bought a fifth tire for the wife's camry. Bill came to 110$. Yes, the tires are used, but they are not bad. They definitely don't match, but for the money, I am not complaining. 'Sides, got the cressi back on the road. The tires do appear to have a bit of a stretch, but they look pretty good.

Clearance is not an issue anymore...

Plenty of room there. Took her for a couple of spirited jaunts down the road and no rubbing or weird noises from the suspension either.

I am also rocking the sticker.

Now I just gotta fix the leaky sunroof!!!!!