Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cash for clunkers DOA

Cash for clunkers DOA

Our local news is reporting that the cash for clunkers program has been suspended because it has already run out of money after six days, and that the program is now dead.

Perhaps that nostalgic, or near nostalgic car has been saved from the crusher. We can all celebrate the under funding of this program, and hope that many cars have averted a final and fruitless end as a result of such an ill conceived program.

Well, it doesn't really effect any older Japanese cars, so I was never worried. :P

But I'll be glad to see it end. Unfortunately our taxes will be paying for it, and many other ill-conceived programs for a long time to come. :x

now thats a good news.. :tu:

So glad it did not even last a week.!!! :tu: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Well, it doesn't really effect any older Japanese cars, so I was never worried.
    There were several late 80's and early 90's turbo coupes on the list.

But the news story Wednesday was that the fueleconomy.gov website had been edited and the ratings on all vehicles raised by 1-4 MPG. One car shopper went in to the dealership on Monday and made arrangements to buy a car and turn in his truck, he went back on Tuesday and his clunker had been taken off the list!
    Now our local dealerships are all requiring buyers to sign contracts guaranteeing that they will purchase their clunker back from the dealership if the clunker program refuses it or the program falls through.

I checked a couple cars I noticed on the list previously, and they have all jumped from 18 MPG to 20-22 MPG.
    Merry Christmas, everyone's clunker is now burning less gas, the government website says so! With the stroke of a computer keyboard, they reduced our oil consumption by ten percent!

I wanted to check some of the other turbo coupes, but the website went down at 9 AM!

It doesn't surprise me that the GM dealerships got their paperwork for the clunker program when the Japanese brand dealerships did not. They couldn't write into the law requiring that you buy only an American car, but they could make it impossible to buy anything but an American car by denying participation from non-American brand dealerships.
    What is the saying about the true power in a democracy is in the hands of the one counting the votes...

This is interesting.

The clunker program is supposed to have a budget of 1 billion dollars ($1,000,000,000).

The dealership owner interviewed by local news said "We don't know what is going to happen when the program ends, there are 20,000 dealers nation wide...". The implied problem being that they will have taken sales contracts on many thousands of vehicles that will not have been processed when they discover the money is gone.

But just looking at the budget, number of dealerships, and amount given per car, the problem becomes obvious:
    ($1,000,000,000 budget) divided by (20,000 dealerships) divided by ($4,000 average rebate) equals 12 1/2 cars per dealership !

That is assuming the program costs zero dollars to run and administrate. And there is no misappropriation of funds.

The expected number of vehicles sold as a result of this program is 250,000. That is the number of annual sales expected for a single model of vehicle that sells reasonably well, and there are how many different models on the market right now? US News says annual car sales for the last three years were 13-17 million (13,000,000-17,000,000). So the clunkers program would account for less than two percent of annual sales!

The program appears to have generated more complaints than car sales. Hurray!

Quote Originally Posted by JT191
    I wanted to check some of the other turbo coupes, but the website went down at 9 AM!
    Uncle Sam's website is up now, but running painfully slowly.

So far as I can tell, all the Mitsubishi Starions, Toyota Celica Supra, Toyota Supra Turbo, Nissan 300Z/ZX Turbos, RX-7 Turbos, and earlier RX-7 Non-turbos are still rated at 18 MPG or lower, and qualify for the clunker program. So, everything but the base models of the most desirable, or at least most powerful, Japanese GT cars from 1984 through 1989.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_TSi_Si_STi
    We'll it pretty much guarantees that it will never happen again.
    They rushed through 2 Billion more dollars this morning!

Get ready for another 14.6 days of the clunker program, and they will account for 5.76% of this year's car sales.

Does the ability to operate a calculator disqualify a person from being an elected official?

Definitely some good news.

Listening to the news today, the House passed another bill for $2 Billion MORE to be allocated for C4C. And everyone is declaring it a rousing success. I even heard a few people talking about how they should extend the bill to, and I quote, "real clunkers, cars of the 1970s".

I want to punch people. I'm sending one of those assclowns an e-mail shortly.

And now the truth is starting to shine through, as it always does- this isn't a green thing, this is an automaker booster (bug duh to us, I'm shocked how many people really believed this was for the environment). Except you can buy cars from any automaker, and so it's not helping the US ones as much as it potentially could.

I did see a pretty clean AWD manual trans Eagle Talon TSI, pop up headlight car, get turned in on a new Mini. :shake:

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_TSi_Si_STi
    Like I've said before though, anybody crazy enough to still be daily driving one of those cars is not going to trade it in all of a sudden. The majority of vehicles traded in is going to be older american crap cans from the mid 80s to 90s. Most cars that deserved to be scrapped a long time ago. I'm not going to shed a tear if someone trades in their 96 Chevy Blazer.
    It's still a good source of parts for someone else going to total waste, and that's the real shame, and it's harming the environment. :td: Another dealer got a mid '90s 4x4 manual trans Toyota truck in the program as well.

Think it's ok because it doesn't harm you yet? Give it time, they'll find a way.