Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Building my rx3 and housing it..

Building my rx3 and housing it..

With my interest in other peoples stories and cars here on JNC I thought it time I started a blog about the trials and tribulations of having a passion for old school JDM cars, and for me my weapon of choice is namely mazda's.

To set the scene and background to my build for you all. My story starts like most a 17 year old with a car loan for 2k bought a s1 rx2 with a piston motor, then crashed it, so went to an 808/rx3 sedan 12a 6port and locked diff, which then taught me a few things about cars and driving but mostly it cemented a love for a brand and type of car that still eats at me today.

After a few years as a young punk with a list of shit cars I finally purchased my first real ground up project car, A all original rolling shell s1 rx3 sedan, to cut a long story short, after sending this car off to a dodgey panel beaters losing the car and a wad of cash for work not done. I was basically left having a box full of rx3 bolt ons to show for it, this really put me off the whole thing. Then a mate came across a real neat all original 808 wagon, not liking the "clone" status i hesitated, but then when I re-evaluated the situation I was in, it was like this... I had a box full of bits to build a real rx3 with no rx3 to bolt them too, So why not huh.. so I purchased the wagon. Being young renting houses and basically being broke she then moved house with me several times until finally it went into storage for around 5 years in a shipping container. Over this time i steadily accumulated a range of neat original parts for my car. not much I have is NOS instead most is near new or restored as I have been collecting since I was 18 or so, but most parts are 2nd hand giving my car that resored but authentic feel. Again something some wouldnt ever do. Thinkin using sedan parts would be easy I soon learn the similarities ended at the dash and front door. So its been a long painstaking search to locate some rare quality parts, I now have all JDM/US spec parts all round so apart from the chassis its all rx3/savanna.

This brings me to more recent times, earlier this year I was bitten by the rotary bug yet again when I went for a ride in my best mates rx3 coupe, then with this same friend of mine knowing a true old school lead filling panel beater, next thing i know i sent the wags out of storage down to see him, a few months have passed, the wagon is coming along with the shell now almost all in primer ready for color, after buying a house finally in june at the ripe old age of 32 it sparked a long waitng beast in me that said build a shed and build that car! maybe it was all the waiting that has made it really feel worth all the trouble.

I am now part way through a full rx3 wagon rebuild and back yard renovation ready for the arrival of my dream vehicle. Over the coming weeks I will add photos and further information on my cars and my construction works for all you guys once I learn how to add pics on a forum! oh yeah rookie! help please! Keep sharing your great stories with people like me to read and think phew, its not just me doin this shit all for the love of owning and driving a lil nostalgic japanese beast. keep up the community feel JNC readers. :P

Re: Building a dream and housing it. my rx3 story.

Thats good that your project is underway. It takes time, patience, knowledge, determination, and your hard earned money to build a dream machine. I'll always take my hat off to someone who knows this and does it anyway, because they have the passion for it. At the end of the day, projects like these enhance your life in so many ways. Look forward to seeing the wagon come together.

Re: Building a dream and housing it. my rx3 story.

congrats on the house purchase, i have just bought a house and am older than you! finally somewhere to work on the projects! i like the 808 wagons so i cant wait to see what you do with yours as for it being a clone who cares? as long as you like it it doesnt matter! good luck with the build!

Re: Building a dream rx3 and housing it..

Cheers guys, stories like jdmrx2, buzz3n and gypsy's these guys are building nice cars.. and teaching a few tricks along the way! here are a couple pics to get started early on, as you can see the wagon wasn't too bad pre strip down just the usual rust holes! (staying same color blue) and a original brochure pic i use for reference and inspiration to give you an idea of where i'm heading.

By beans161 at 2011-09-27

Nice project, looks like a good plan. There was a car in the same colour as the brochure on Yahoo Japan recently, it had very very low KMs but a bit rusty. It hadnt been driven in many years, 12a model though. If someone saved the photos maybe they can upload them so you get a better idea how they were fitted out.

There is another person in Sydney with the exact car and colour you are planning on building, not sure if he is on this forum.... all original from memory. I think he imported it from the USA, very tidy original car. American specification though so consoles and maybe some of the trims may be different.

The best tip I can give you is don't go overboard with modifications, by all means upgrade areas of the car to make it better underneath if need be, you cant go wrong keeping it all 70's era

By the number plates i can see that you in SA
    i got some indicators and clearance lights if you need them for your build
    http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=210842
    Just look there if you need anything dont realy care about the money for this items.

Cheers, Gypsy I hear ya mate. I do think the same, "if it aint broke dont fix it" however adding some beefed up strength in the running gear only makes for a more reliable car in years to come. I dunno about you guys and your mazdas, but I spent too many years changing rx3/808 diff centres and axles and even welding them up, this was with a stock 12a and 13b. The rotas love hi revs etc etc but the diffs dont like putting the power to the ground. Therefore with a plan to insert a strong motor of some type when the time comes, I planned to upgrade the diff by sourcing something strong, reliable and getting it cut and shut, whilst doing this changing the setup to some form of disc brake I had been thinking use a s3 rx7 diff but change to s2 rx7 discs and calipers as they fit on the front, so i get rx7 stoppers all round and rx7 brake booster and bias control, giving a marginal braking improvement but still allowing fitment of 13" rims. Obviously this will need some dialling in once on the road but as for fitment and custom fabrication, i'm trying to keep things as simple as possible and semi authentic by using Mazda parts where I can rather than other brands. Originally I sourced a borg warner disc brake rear end from a Holden but now think I may part with it as I mentioned I will be trying to utilise mazda branded parts where ever possible.

Hi mate, hilux diff is the go lite and strong. Hope all goes well. Stu..

Now this is going to be cool ride 8) Who cares if it's not a real RX3 wagon, It's going to feel like one when you are rolling in it!! Love the plan / theme, should be awesome.

If you are in SA, we definately need to cruise when this is done. Keep the updates coming as you progress.

The wagon shell to begin with was quite tidy in basically all original paint, still shiny in some areas with all the parts no crash damage, just a bit of rust here and there, it was skyish blue with a bone colored interior. I plan to keep the original blue with light color inside, no window tint, which means the rx3 interior I have collected in poo brown will be re colored to match.
    so for me this build has ment researching for hours what I needed to make the full rx3 conversion, the list of cosmetic changes is quite lengthy, that said it was a list of some of the coolest mazda parts to me, from the 70's to go hunting for. I have sourced parts from all over the world to get my wagon completely converted. hopefully i have covered everything on the list, but time will tell as it gets put together. I did consider custom for me only color changes inside and out but think its best to fininsh in one of the factory colorways for a more refined classy look.
    Some of the parts gathered included all the rear end lights and tailgate accessories,chrome strips back and sides, dash no cracks not retrimmed, door trims, seats, badges, lights and mounts, reflectors, 10a front bumper being used from the original rx3 sedan as is the 10a nosecone + all the trims replaced.
    If anyone out there has access to original rx3 wagon parts pm me.
    I lived in Japan for a bit a few years ago and really fell in love with the JDM car styling, watanabe/guard mirror low retro.. so this has really influenced my direction in styling. To compliment the standard rims and white walls the plan is to have black watanabe style wheels with fat sticky rubber for "other occasions" and to give a real jdm feel