My F31 nissan just turned 20 so I figured I would post some details of the build here with a few posts to bring it up to the present.
This is cut and pasted from elsewhere and starts about 2 years ago.
Two years ago, I bought a M30 with a spun rod bearing and just went to a junkyard and got another cap and used bearing so I could move it around without it throwing a rod and ruining the block.
So......I suspended the engine on a sling I made from a 4x4 with some chains and large eye bolts with long threaded shanks so I could do the measurements needed to attempt a VG30et since I have every part to do so.
In the mean time, I bought another crank but soon found the VG30et swap would not be a fun road to go down because of the already too steep steering shaft angles which are made worse by trying to fit a Z31 turbo crossmember........and I wasn't interested in laying down the rack....which again makes the angles more steep.
The other alternative is making one's own turbo manifolds to relocate the turbo and possibly losing power steering or A/C.
I got discouraged and it sat for 2 years.
Upon getting fired and my landlord putting the house up for sale, I needed to make this car mobile so I just installed what I had lying around which is a L28et and a built 3n71b.
I had already converted it to a front sump by relocating the oil pickup and fitting a front sump oil pan from a first generation maxima (l24e) as well as drilling a new dipstick hole (not in the front blank dipstick boss because it goes through an oil galley which is drilled deeper in the rear sump iteration of the L28).
Yes, I replaced that weak felpro gasket with a proper stock gasket.
I also own a 1984 rear wheel drive maxima which is similar to the M30 in many dimensions and I also had spare engine mount brackets as well as the sump because this L28et was supposed to go in that car but I just bolted turbo manifolds onto the stock L24e and drove it 50,000 miles that way.
The maxima mounts were perfect for front to rear location but had the engine 2 inches too high so I found that S30 or S130 mounts would mount the engine (kind of) closer to the proper height and had the proper front to back location........but not ready for prime time.
Time to cut and weld the S30 mounts which seem damn weak as delivered from factory compared to the S130 (280zx) mount.
Right side is actually a S130 mount but they are same dimension but with extra bracing in between.
Turns out is is a lot more of a pain in the ass and requries mucho time on the grinder but I was able to drill a hole through both the stock portion and my welded pad which will have a bolt in case my welds turn out be metal caulking (not likely as I used a torch to preheat the work area)
I cut them shorter and re-angeled them rather than molest the crossmember since I may want to fit the soon to be rebuilt VG30.
I do have a spare crossmember that might be for sale soon.
Left side mount made from s30 (no webbing between legs).
On the left mount, I cut a slot in the added pad and fed the front portion through it for an extra measure of safety.
I would have done the right side that way but I cut the wrong leg off and had to end up cutting both.....Doh!!
If I don't mount something to the extra bit of pad, I will probably cut of the extra bit but it does clear the 280zx a/c compressor.
Next was my ghetto turbo drain I have put on many a car but this time I actually had the engine out of the car when I installed it.......making sure to cause a huge mess of "ultra copper" rtv.
If you're wondering where the flange came from.......
A bit of grinding the periphery causes the screen to magically disappear.
Now you have a flange to mount to a 3/4 inch hole you just drilled into your front sump converted L28et with a unibit.
Then it was time to mount a 3n71b tranny which isn't longer than the stock tranny but the bellhousing has to move back a few inches to restore stock L engine clearance to firewall.
That one shiny bolt is ground such that it fits like a glove into a countersunk hole.
Yes I will be tying the two individual mounts together on that one side........someday if necessary.
More pics to follow of clearance between s30 fan/clutch assembly and stock radiator as well as 280zx turbo radiator which seems to fit.
My plan is to run a 1987 300zx turbo ecu first since I have one and an adapter made from the connector of a m30 ecu and 300zx harness plugs but it will eventually run on a late VG single cam engine'd nissan quest or pickup ECU in the hopes that I can fool an emissions inspector (if I move to an inspection state or Obama has his way) by blowing clean readings and the car looking stock underhood with no shiny pipes or racer boy looking stuff.
Another benefit of those ecus is that they are obdII.
I have not cut anything on the car itself other than the stock exhaust pipe just after it collects though I will cut the harness since I have a spare.
The stock 280zx turbo turbo elbow/downpipe clears the steering shaft like the car was made for it.
Soon I will slightly move the receiver/dryer from it's stupid location so I can adapt the M30 power steering pump to fit the 280zx bracket but for now it can hang out where it is.
So far, this hasn't cost me jack shit since I already had this stuff laying around and I've only spent like 4 full days working on it.
Engine bay pics.
Stock 280zx turbo turbo elbow clears steering shaft easily........made quick adaptor for smaller o2 sensor required by either m30 or late z31 turbo ecu but I may run an early z31 turbo ecu rather than wire in dropping resistors so two bolts later, I can screw in large sensor.
Money is tight so it's all labor......except a bit I set aside for the driveshaft shop.