Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: The ole MA engine builds..

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    34

    The ole MA engine builds..

    I am just looking for any builds or advise on rebuilding a MA engine just for a little extra fun from the lazy stock motor, just to hold me over for a year. Sidedraft reground cam, and ill be happy.. not looking to break any records, just want to do a small treatment on the motor while its apart!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    802

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    go to ausrotary, look for a user called "spac". Search through his threads in the tech area. He did a write up on how to hotrod the 4 cylinders from Mazda.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    39

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Quote Originally Posted by jitb
    I am just looking for any builds or advise on rebuilding a MA engine just for a little extra fun from the lazy stock motor, just to hold me over for a year. Sidedraft reground cam, and ill be happy.. not looking to break any records, just want to do a small treatment on the motor while its apart!
    as you have mentioned lumpy cam & two sidedraft Webers will be more than enough for a small treatment, but I would not recommend regrounded cam, better to use a specially made one (Crowcams still make them)... but even these small changes are not cheap: cam ~ 300$, manifold ~ 300$, two Webers 40 DCOE ~ 300$, heavy duty valve springs ~ 50$

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    32

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Crow Cams used to make cams for the MA, I bought their last one (stage 2) about two weeks ago.
    Apparently they cant get the blanks any more.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    39

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oven1111
    Crow Cams used to make cams for the MA, I bought their last one (stage 2) about two weeks ago. Apparently they cant get the blanks any more.
    very bad news... I was hoping to buy one more camshaft for my new project next month... :cry:

    is there any other manufacturer who still make camshafts for old Mazda engines?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    32

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    You could still get a cam re-ground. This is what I have done so far to my engine, the fly wheel has been lightened by 4 kilograms, the whole rotating assembly has been balanced, block has been decked, acid dipped,bored and honed, I am using a 616 inlet manifold as it is much better flowing than the 626 one, weber 40 dfav carby, xtreme hd clutch, valves have been back cut and a 3 angle valve grind done, head ports have been cleaned up and the steps inside the inlet ports have been blended into the bowls and the steps in the exhaust ports have been smoothed out, I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines), king bearings, melling oil pump, stage 2 crow cam and double valve springs, custom 3 row radiator and oil cooler, facet fuel pump, I think that's is it. I am still looking at fitting some sort of electronic ignition. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    34

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oven1111
    You could still get a cam re-ground. This is what I have done so far to my engine, the fly wheel has been lightened by 4 kilograms, the whole rotating assembly has been balanced, block has been decked, acid dipped,bored and honed, I am using a 616 inlet manifold as it is much better flowing than the 626 one, weber 40 dfav carby, xtreme hd clutch, valves have been back cut and a 3 angle valve grind done, head ports have been cleaned up and the steps inside the inlet ports have been blended into the bowls and the steps in the exhaust ports have been smoothed out, I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines), king bearings, melling oil pump, stage 2 crow cam and double valve springs, custom 3 row radiator and oil cooler, facet fuel pump, I think that's is it. I am still looking at fitting some sort of electronic ignition. Hope this gives you a few ideas.

    does it wake it up at all, sounds like it should! In stock form its such a lazy motor as you know. What was the biggest improvement for it out of all those upgrades?

    would like to see the bay also.. don think ive ever seen a modified MA in the bay of a 626!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    32

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    I am hoping for around 160hp or maybe a little higher when she is all finished.
    By no means a rocket, but at least she will be different.
    I will upload all the pics of the engine build as soo as it's done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    39

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oven1111
    I am running moly piston rings (never use Chrome rings in these engines)
    what is wrong with Chrome rings?

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    39

    Re: The ole MA engine builds..

    Quote Originally Posted by Oven1111
    I am hoping for around 160hp or maybe a little higher when she is all finished.
    By no means a rocket, but at least she will be different.
    I will upload all the pics of the engine build as soo as it's done.

    almost twice more then in stock... wish you luck to get it but I think it`s impossible without turbo...

    btw: i like your headlight guards! Where can I find a pair for myself or they out of stock?

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: 4AC Engine
    By LosAngeles in forum Toyota Swap Meet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 01:50 AM
  2. Ford Courier engine simiar to 808 engine?
    By Dave77 in forum Mazda Garage
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 08:06 PM
  3. WTB - L18 Engine
    By nakaz_510 in forum Datsun/Nissan Swap Meet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 06:14 PM
  4. WTB: L16 Engine
    By olemaeland in forum Datsun/Nissan Swap Meet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2011, 01:32 AM
  5. Which engine for the Z?
    By edz280zx in forum Datsun/Nissan Garage
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •