Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Importing car from the UK to the US

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southeastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    200

    Importing car from the UK to the US

    Hey guys,

    The Mazda Montrose that is for sale here in the Mazda swap section has me a bit interested in what it would cost,and the feasability of importing such a car to the US. I know it falls within the 25 year rule,so that shouldn't be tough,but how would one go about shipping from the UK to the east coast of the US? Any good sources for help on this? Is it expensive?

    Also on a related note,how hard would it be getting used to driving a RHD car here in the US with a manual transmission? Would I be asking for trouble?


    Chris

  2. #2
    Administrator john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Posts
    5,529

    Re: Importing car from the UK to the US

    Quote Originally Posted by Mazdax605
    how would one go about shipping from the UK to the east coast of the US? Any good sources for help on this? Is it expensive?
    I can tell you it's not too expensive to ship, less than Japan for sure. The dollar's not really solid against the Euro right now, though. :?

    how hard would it be getting used to driving a RHD car here in the US with a manual transmission? Would I be asking for trouble?
    Took me about 100 miles to get really settled in with it. Now it's second nature. Learning to shift it takes no time at all. Short list...

    1. Hard to get used to driving in reverse.
    2. Can't pass someone on a 2-lane road.
    3. Get used to attracting A LOT of attention, and seeing lots of double-takes from other drivers.

  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Add to that list making left turns and the aforementioned wiper/turn sig confusion.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Portland, OR, USA
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by ben
    Add to that list making left turns and the aforementioned wiper/turn sig confusion.
    If the car was built to Euro standards then the wiper/turn sig positions are no issue at all cause they are the same as they are here.

  5. #5
    Administrator john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by bajasoobnut
    built to Euro standards then the wiper/turn sig positions are no issue at all cause they are the same as they are here.
    That's what I was going to say. :P

    Backwards on a JDM RHD, but not a UK-spec RHD.

    But yes, left turns on a street with no center turning lane are a bitch...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    220
    Try WWL for shipping. http://www.2wglobal.com/www/wep/

    I used them to ship my car from Yokohama to the East Coast. Cost was under $1k since I didn't use a container and did roll-on roll-off. I looked at their route map and they have a weekly ship from Southampton UK to the states.

    Like DatsunFreak said, you'll settle into driving in a short time. I had very little prior experience with a RHD; it took me about a week to get comfortable. For me the biggest issue was not "knowing" where the left front corner of the car was. I couldn't gage if I had enough room when parking and just driving in general. That problem is gone now and all is good. :tu:

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak

    But yes, left turns on a street with no center turning lane are a bitch...
    Agreed, and occasionally the B pillar gets in the way when making a right turn from a stop sign or red light.

    Parallel parking is a piece of cake, though....

  8. #8
    Administrator john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Posts
    5,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycletech
    For me the biggest issue was not "knowing" where the left front corner of the car was. I couldn't gage if I had enough room when parking and just driving in general.
    Yeah, second day driving it I scratched the left front wheel on a wide right turn. :?

    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan
    Agreed, and occasionally the B pillar gets in the way when making a right turn from a stop sign or red light.
    Depends on the car. :wink:

    More common problem on 4drs/wagons.

    Parallel parking is a piece of cake, though....
    Yeah it is! :P

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Richmond VA
    Posts
    220
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan


    Agreed, and occasionally the B pillar gets in the way when making a right turn from a stop sign or red light.
    Ahh...don't have that problem. No B pillar on the DR30 :mrgreen:

    One less thing to worry about... 8)

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Quote Originally Posted by bajasoobnut
    Quote Originally Posted by ben
    Add to that list making left turns and the aforementioned wiper/turn sig confusion.
    If the car was built to Euro standards then the wiper/turn sig positions are no issue at all cause they are the same as they are here.
    Owning cars from 3 continents could really mess with your head :P

Similar Threads

  1. Help on Importing to US
    By saruken in forum General Discussion, JNC News & FAQ
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 10:52 AM
  2. Importing JDM car from Canada to the US? CDM vs JDM?
    By Kanaric in forum General Discussion, JNC News & FAQ
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 10:51 AM
  3. Importing cars into japan?
    By Kodama in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 02:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •