Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Gas Tank Restoration

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,608

    Gas Tank Restoration

    I've done a search but i've come up empty-handed. Before I attempt to start the new /old RX7, I'd like to clean out the gas tank to remove any crud that may be sitting inside. What processes/products do you guys recommend? Keep in mind, I am on a tight budget. If the tank isn't rusty or otherwise damaged, the plan is to clean up the inside and repaint the outside.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Arab Emirates, Dubai
    Posts
    420

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    Hi Cam,
    A product that continually crops up and gets good reports is the Por-15 stuff.
    Member ToyGuy on this forum used it on his Corina GTTR Sedan with spectacular results -

    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13307

    Maybe PM him for details but I think this is what he used -

    http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-K ... info/FTRK/

    Think I have seen it mentioned in a few other threads on this forum as well.
    After seeing some of the crud that gathers in a fuel tank of an old car or a car that has been sitting for a while I think I will be doing something similar as preventive medicine when I get my next jalopy.
    Hopefully someone on here can give you some feedback on this and other products.

    Loving the budget build RX7 Cam. Interior came up mint! :tu:

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    Quote Originally Posted by ToolZ
    Hi Cam,
    A product that continually crops up and gets good reports is the Por-15 stuff.
    Member ToyGuy on this forum used it on his Corina GTTR Sedan with spectacular results -

    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13307

    Maybe PM him for details but I think this is what he used -

    http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-K ... info/FTRK/

    Think I have seen it mentioned in a few other threads on this forum as well.
    After seeing some of the crud that gathers in a fuel tank of an old car or a car that has been sitting for a while I think I will be doing something similar as preventive medicine when I get my next jalopy.
    Hopefully someone on here can give you some feedback on this and other products.

    Loving the budget build RX7 Cam. Interior came up mint! :tu:
    Thanks! I've saved enough on other stuff that the $77 for the gas tank kit isn't too dear. Especially considering the havoc a dodgy tank would wreak on the engine! Incidentally, I live near Summit Racing Equipment, whom i believe resells this stuff. It would certainly save me the "hazardous" shipping charges!

    I'm glad the budget build is going over well with the community. It's a lot of fun to impose limitations on yourself - it inspires creativity.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Arab Emirates, Dubai
    Posts
    420

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    Cam!
    Jeremy Holden and Roy Buttress have made you an educational video.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoz_PDxksc

    Edit - there are also some other product videos related to this - KBS Coatings etc. Might be worth a watch.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    142

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    i had the same problem with my gas tank before. i took my tank to a local radiator repair shop for hot tank, coating treatment and preasure testing for $85. GL with your build.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    635

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    I've used Por-15 tank sealer tons of times & works great. Just watch out if you have a shop do the work. The last tank I had done I had a shop boil it for me & one of the tubes was clogged with tank sealer when they were done. Which caused my tank to colapse on itself.

    Word of advice Por-15 sells pints of the tank sealer. If your coating a JNC tank a pint would be more than enough to coat the whole tank. Now if youre doing an american car then buy the quart.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    Word of advice Por-15 sells pints of the tank sealer. If your coating a JNC tank a pint would be more than enough to coat the whole tank. Now if youre doing an american car then buy the quart.
    This gives me a heck of an idea - build my own gas tank resto kit with smaller quantities of supplies. I bet I could save a few pennies that way!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    142

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    I've used Por-15 tank sealer tons of times & works great. Just watch out if you have a shop do the work. The last tank I had done I had a shop boil it for me & one of the tubes was clogged with tank sealer when they were done. Which caused my tank to colapse on itself.
    Did the shop paid for the damages? to bad that the shop you chose did'nt know what they where doing. Hopefully you got your money back.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    602

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    I think it depends on how bad the tank is before the extent of the cleaning. If there is rust, I have heard the best thing is to get a chain (other's use rocks, nuts & bolts etc.) remove the interior fuel pump and simply slosh it around the tank with a solvent.

    If the tank isn't that bad, I'm sure you can take it to a radiator shop to have the work done for about anywhere from $100 to $170 USD. Make sure you know what kind of cleaning process they use before hand. You obviously would want to know if they simply steam clean it, pressure wash, pressure test, por-15 the inside, or whatever before you dig into your pockets.

    I'm looking into this for my area as well. My tank doesn't look too bad so I need to start getting some quotes.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: Gas Tank Restoration

    The tank, at least from what I have seen, is in really good shape, since the car has been stored indoors in a warm climate. I'll be sure to post up pictures once it has been removed and get advice from everyone. The one radiator shop we have in town is...um...not so good...

Similar Threads

  1. Gas tank info
    By sfbmx88 in forum Toyota Garage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 12:33 AM
  2. Gas tank questions
    By yellow_sub in forum Toyota Garage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 08:00 PM
  3. RX-7 Gas tank difference
    By schellerup in forum Mazda Garage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 02:54 AM
  4. HOw do I clean My rusted out gas tank?
    By estupidito in forum Resto Tips, Wheels & Other Goodies
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
  5. Oil Catch Tank??
    By 3tcRob in forum Toyota Garage
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2010, 05:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •