Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gas Tank Restoration

Gas Tank Restoration

I've done a search but i've come up empty-handed. Before I attempt to start the new /old RX7, I'd like to clean out the gas tank to remove any crud that may be sitting inside. What processes/products do you guys recommend? Keep in mind, I am on a tight budget. If the tank isn't rusty or otherwise damaged, the plan is to clean up the inside and repaint the outside.

Re: Gas Tank Restoration

Hi Cam,
    A product that continually crops up and gets good reports is the Por-15 stuff.
    Member ToyGuy on this forum used it on his Corina GTTR Sedan with spectacular results -

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13307

Maybe PM him for details but I think this is what he used -

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-K ... info/FTRK/

Think I have seen it mentioned in a few other threads on this forum as well.
    After seeing some of the crud that gathers in a fuel tank of an old car or a car that has been sitting for a while I think I will be doing something similar as preventive medicine when I get my next jalopy.
    Hopefully someone on here can give you some feedback on this and other products.

Loving the budget build RX7 Cam. Interior came up mint! :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by ToolZ
    Hi Cam,
    A product that continually crops up and gets good reports is the Por-15 stuff.
    Member ToyGuy on this forum used it on his Corina GTTR Sedan with spectacular results -

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13307

Maybe PM him for details but I think this is what he used -

http://www.por15.com/FUEL-TANK-REPAIR-K ... info/FTRK/

Think I have seen it mentioned in a few other threads on this forum as well.
    After seeing some of the crud that gathers in a fuel tank of an old car or a car that has been sitting for a while I think I will be doing something similar as preventive medicine when I get my next jalopy.
    Hopefully someone on here can give you some feedback on this and other products.

Loving the budget build RX7 Cam. Interior came up mint! :tu:
    Thanks! I've saved enough on other stuff that the $77 for the gas tank kit isn't too dear. Especially considering the havoc a dodgy tank would wreak on the engine! Incidentally, I live near Summit Racing Equipment, whom i believe resells this stuff. It would certainly save me the "hazardous" shipping charges!

I'm glad the budget build is going over well with the community. It's a lot of fun to impose limitations on yourself - it inspires creativity.

Cam!
    Jeremy Holden and Roy Buttress have made you an educational video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZoz_PDxksc

Edit - there are also some other product videos related to this - KBS Coatings etc. Might be worth a watch.

i had the same problem with my gas tank before. i took my tank to a local radiator repair shop for hot tank, coating treatment and preasure testing for $85. GL with your build.

I've used Por-15 tank sealer tons of times & works great. Just watch out if you have a shop do the work. The last tank I had done I had a shop boil it for me & one of the tubes was clogged with tank sealer when they were done. Which caused my tank to colapse on itself.

Word of advice Por-15 sells pints of the tank sealer. If your coating a JNC tank a pint would be more than enough to coat the whole tank. Now if youre doing an american car then buy the quart.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    Word of advice Por-15 sells pints of the tank sealer. If your coating a JNC tank a pint would be more than enough to coat the whole tank. Now if youre doing an american car then buy the quart.
    This gives me a heck of an idea - build my own gas tank resto kit with smaller quantities of supplies. I bet I could save a few pennies that way!

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    I've used Por-15 tank sealer tons of times & works great. Just watch out if you have a shop do the work. The last tank I had done I had a shop boil it for me & one of the tubes was clogged with tank sealer when they were done. Which caused my tank to colapse on itself.
    Did the shop paid for the damages? to bad that the shop you chose did'nt know what they where doing. Hopefully you got your money back.

I think it depends on how bad the tank is before the extent of the cleaning. If there is rust, I have heard the best thing is to get a chain (other's use rocks, nuts & bolts etc.) remove the interior fuel pump and simply slosh it around the tank with a solvent.

If the tank isn't that bad, I'm sure you can take it to a radiator shop to have the work done for about anywhere from $100 to $170 USD. Make sure you know what kind of cleaning process they use before hand. You obviously would want to know if they simply steam clean it, pressure wash, pressure test, por-15 the inside, or whatever before you dig into your pockets.

I'm looking into this for my area as well. My tank doesn't look too bad so I need to start getting some quotes.

The tank, at least from what I have seen, is in really good shape, since the car has been stored indoors in a warm climate. I'll be sure to post up pictures once it has been removed and get advice from everyone. The one radiator shop we have in town is...um...not so good...