Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam's 1979 Mazda RX7 - $1000 Budget Build

Cam's 1979 Mazda RX7 - $1000 Budget Build

Last Saturday I helped a friend celebrate his birthday by visiting a swap meet. Being midwestern farm country, there were a total of three Japanese cars there, one of which had the requisite (*shudder*) smallblock chebby V8 swap. Thankfully, this wasn't one of them. It's a '79 SA22C from Texas. Currently dosen't run. I have a $1000 budget set to get this car running, driving, and lowered. Current project involves seeing what it needs to run, seeing what electrics work, and cleaning up the interior. Updates tomorrow! Oh, by the by...the girl dosen't know about this one. So if you happen to be a Facebook friend, keep it on the DL for now. :lol:

Re: Cam's 1979 Mazda RX7

Very good Cam, what did it cost? or is that in the 1000 budget?
    also i think those keyhole wheels are quite rare, what do you think

Eh, I traded roughly $2500 worth of MGB with the guy. Might have overpaid, especially considering the hole in the floor...but those keyholes are quite rare indeed.

well good luck and i hope you have a heap of fun with it.
    i have a series 3 or 1st gen 12a turbo rx7 and that is fun to drive

Hi Camshaft you Mazda junky
    Would love to see you document a budget build on this and see how much you can do for a thousand bucks and a bucket of elbow grease.
    The self imposed budget is a great way to test your skills and ability and comes down to how imaginative you can be.
    I am thinking about getting something to play with and limiting my budget to a similar amount while I search and save for "That JNC". I predict rattle can paint jobs on the horizon :lol:
    Good purchase and looking forward to seeing your progress. :tu:

I spent the last few days at my parent's house, so I have some progress to report.

First things first, I went down to our local Interstate Battery distributor and purchased a "blemished" battery - basically, a battery that is no longer in shrink wrap and can no longer be sold as new. With a core, it only set me back $37.19.

Interstate battery: $37.19 - Total: $37.19

The next morning, I went to the title bureau to have the title transferred over to my name. I didn't bother registering it, because the car isn't running.

Title transfer: $17.00 Total: $54.19

While I was there, I spotted this clean Protege. I know they're not quite nostalgic yet, but I still think they're cool.

After I left the title bureau, I cruised up the street to the local junkyard. They have two RX7s there, a 1979 and a 1980. The gold car (1979) will become a parts car and will donate several parts (including a clean front fender) to my red car. I'll be going back next Wednesday with a list of goodies to remove.

The black one is a 1980 Leather Sport, one of only 1250 sold in black. Thankfully, it will be saved and sold as a complete car with a clean title.

Something else neat that they had at the yard was this Volkswagen squareback from Washington, also being sold as a complete car. I'm the farthest thing there is from a veedub guy but I've always like these.

Next I stopped at Autozone for a couple of light bulbs and a can of semigloss black paint that I'll use on some of the trim.

Paint & light bulbs: $11.67 - Total: $65.86

I saw this nice black FB while I was there. Dig those louvers! '80s USDM style at its finest.

Okay, enough messing about with other people's cars. From this point forward you'll be seeing more pictures of mine.

I wanted to clean up the interior but the driver's side door wouldn't open all the way. Since I know where to find another one I removed the crumpled front fender. The inner fender liner was busted so I ditched that as well.

Looks pretty clean in there, Texas car FTW:

Door opens much better now, haha! I was finally able to get down to business and clean up the inside. Result:

That's all for now! More updates next week. I have a few surprises in store for you guys.

this car is making me want to get back into the rx game. that black ls would be nice to own.

Quote Originally Posted by terolla
    this car is making me want to get back into the rx game. that black ls would be nice to own.
    The black car is in really good shape. It's got most of the specific LS stuff (minus the wheels ) and a rust-free body. The motor even turns over. It's getting the FB four-spokes from the gold car this week. Send me a PM if you're serious about the car.

Re: Cam's 1979 Mazda RX7 - $1000 Budget Build

Nice!!! I love first gens! Good luck with it.

Lemme know if you wanna sell those foglights, I need them for the Maxima! 8)

Re: Cam's 1979 Mazda RX7 - $1000 Budget Build

Cool stuff! Signing for updates! :tu: