Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death of the car enthusiast

Death of the car enthusiast

I been starting to realize that the new age of car enthusiast is destroyed our way of life. Instead of building a car that makes them happy, they are building the same cars that they see in mags or off the internet. Look at what's happening with the american car scene, all the cars are the same. all the engine swaps, brake and wheel setups are the same. I hope that I never see the japanese car scene go the same way, but sadly it has already started. So I say lets stop this trend, teach the kids what it means to modifying japanese cars.

Re: Death of the car enthusiast

This is sad and very true :? Everyone is copy other guys work cause they dont have imagination ideas or something else.

most of the people copying others will only do so for a little while, then sell everything they have and "grow up". they are basically just riding the fads.. these are the people who bought all the new phones, newest clothes etc in high school. they will all move on in life. for the TRUE car enthusiasts, this is there life.. that's why it doesn't bother me. i don't care what people really think about my projects. those who hate them will be gone soon anyways..

I can't say much... in a sense, i'm copying 'oracles' :lol: at least until i can get my hands on a 2urgse. :twisted:

I do understand though. I explained this to my wife a while back... didn't really do any good, but I was able to vent. :?

Well, I can see both sides to this. Some do it simply because they don't have the knowledge, imagination or fortitude to do something different. Granted, some of them never will. But some use the knowledge they learn by doing that to expand beyond just following and create their own car. Some of it is also due to very focused aftermarket support in the US, only for certain vehicles, etc. Whereas in Japan, if they make it, you're almost guaranteed there's aftermarket parts for it.
    It's a debate that been around for a long time, much like who's a "proper" enthusiast, one who does the work to their car or has someone else do it?

... There's such a thing as being TOO creative or TOO original, often such mods and ideas can be I'll conceived, and such efforts become the material of ridicule on forums such as this. :lol: Few people have the charge of creative genesis.

Though admittedly enough of my interest in these cars lies in keeping cars stock, which avoids certain tropes; I appreciate the history of these cars as they were new, as much as I enjoy seeing modified cars.

Partly, the "hidden history" of jdm has given me a break from a long-standing tiredness of the repetitions in other car scenes; I learn something new about jncs every day, where much of the knowledge-base and ideas found in other automotive genres are fixed, more or less, in my mind.

People do what they want. Some don't want much.

I reckon e-at_me has it about right. When I was a kid there were car people and not-car people. A raspy exhaust or occasionally a U.S. V8 was enough to make you turn and look because you knew there was something special passing by.

It's almost the law these days that if you're young your car must have alloys, a stoopid 'zaust and some bits nailed on, much as you must where certain clothes, have the right hair, phone, music, etc. It doesn't matter if they've never picked up a spanner or dont understand what the extra grip from those massive tyres is doing to their stock suspension, it's just what's "in".
    Car enthusiasts are just as busy as they've always been, but counting "fad riders" as car enthusiasts is like saying everyone who cooks food is a gourmet chef.
    Or something...

Quote Originally Posted by DmK66
    It's almost the law these days that if you're young your car must have alloys, a stoopid 'zaust and some bits nailed on, much as you must where certain clothes, have the right hair, phone, music, etc.
    Well put. Hellaflush is a good example.

in some cases, copying isnt bad. lets face it, if someone builds a bad ass car, it should be ok to copy most of it. i rather someone copy a bad ass car then copy a ass bad car .