Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shakotan SA22C RX7.

Shakotan SA22C RX7.

Hi guys!

Going to do abit of a build thread on my RX7, it's nothing great, it's probably the dirtiest RX7 I have EVER seen, but I love it, I could NEVER part with it, it's almost like a brother to me :lol:

Anyways, I purchased the car locally, I had a dodgy front bumper and some terrible looking rear pods, I was told it was rebuilt recently, just a 12A mild port and that was about it, other then that, didn't know too much about it and neither did the owner. Drove it home and it was something different, never owning a rotary before the power was so smooth and very surprising for a little 1.1l that would probably only produce 90/100hp.

As you can see, it wasn't the most attractive thing in the world. It had some bucket seats in it that almost touch the roof, dodgy power windows, but I didn't mind. Not long after I purchased the car, I got it on a hoist to check out underneath. It had coilovers in the front, king springs in the rear, 2 1/2" exhaust with a muffler and a resinator, and factory LSD. Was pretty stoked about it, picked up a bargain for only $2500AU with registration.

I removed bits of the kit, leaving the body to be a mess (front bumper was held in with stainless still rivets, couldnt even drill them out, it looked so much better though, so no complaints here!

About three weeks after owning the car, on the way to work one morning at about 4:45am, the car decided to catch fire just 2 minutes from home, nothing major but was enough to kill my battery and somehow ruin parts off the wiring. What had happened is the previous owner didn't mount the battery properly, it had jumped forward, shorted on the bonnet and started a fire, nothing epic, but a fires a fire in my point of view!

No biggie, kept driving it. My mate had a Momocorse wheel down at as shop for very cheap, so I picked it up and put it in, such a huge improvement, made driving so much more enjoyable

Pretty much at this point I was on the hunt for wheels, but finding anything decent in Australia in 4x110 is always an issue. You either pay through the nose for a good sized 17" wheel (which I think is FAR too big) or be stuck with terrible sizes in a smaller style wheel. Was on the local classifieds and found a set of ROH Centerline replicas in 13x7 +10, not too aggressive and still practical, picked them up and slapped them on.

Was sitting far too high for my liking, so going back to my dodgy was, I pulled out the angle grinder and took a coil out of the rear springs and wound the front coilovers down a touch.

I was happy with it now, looked cool so I just needed some sort of support while driving this thing. This come through in one of my friends half cuts so I snapped it up instantly. Little bit worse for wear but it works!

Drove it around some more, lowered it more too.

This is where alot of people will realise just how dirty this thing is. I never intended this thing to be a show car, I drive it like a rotor should be driven, and if I keep it like this, I'm not scared to hit things at the track (I am an apprentice painter so it's not cause I don't know how to fix it haha)

Got a new steering wheel, Momo C38

more pictures

Then while I was waiting to finish off my laurel, I put this in it.

and just last week after I finished trying to fix the waterpump

So thats it for now, the build will start getting better within the next 2/3 months, looking at going bridgeport with a bigger carb and just fix little bits and pieces and start doing some track work in it.

Thanks guys.

Re: 1983 SA22C RX7.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    About three weeks after owning the car, on the way to work one morning at about 4:45am, the car decided to catch fire
    At this point I'm fairly certain this is how 90% of RX7 build threads start.

I'm digging the Bride Ergo seat, I'm looking for a pair myself but finding nice old Bride seats is tough!

Very nice. Looks better with out the body kit.

Really digging the 13's

What sort of coilovers do you have in the front? Are they homemade or can you actually buy a pair of fronts from something else and adapt them?

Haven't updated this in ages. Better late then never though. Ended up going pulled over by the 5-0 and they took it off the road, decided to make it into a track car and go from there. Participated in Queenslands Drift Matsuri last year and had an absolute blast, best weekend of my life by far. Car went really well, no huge issues.

Got some video footage of me sliding in the skid pan and thats about it.

http://vimeo.com/33774061

Got some new wheels, worst decision ever.

Took it out to a morning drift session, had some issues with the fuel pump, it's nearly dead. I had a blast either way, car loves 3rd gear and I couldn't really rev it because it was misfire and break down, was still great fun!

Got some incar footage, not bad, driving was abit average but it'd been a while.

https://vimeo.com/38156197

https://vimeo.com/38255295

Annnnd, just purchased some new wheels, on there way from the states any day now.

14x7 0 offset, should look great!

Just got myself a new facet fuel pump for cheaaaap so going to put that in some time today if I can be bothered. need to throw my clutch master in aswell. Other than that, I'm just waiting on wheels now and see how they fit.

Nice build so far and looks great drifting.

Why did the 50 decide to take it off the road?

Pinned me for too low, bride not ADR approved, no mod plates for seats, wheels sticking out past body line, tyres scrubbing, few little oil leaks and no back seats (registered as a 4 seater, not 2).

Shells seen better days anyways. lol.

Picking up a group C ducktail for it, just need to decide on a front bumper, see how it looks with standard first and go from there I suppose.

From the pics it looks like you're a northside boy Nudgee by the looks of the back streets if thats correct give me a yell i'm just up the road from you. Btw I'm liking the 7. :tu: