Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TransAmBandit's 1988 Maxima SE

TransAmBandit's 1988 Maxima SE

So ever since I was a kid I was always fascinated by the 85-88 Nissan Maxima. So much, that at age 6 back in 1995 I used to draw this car ever chance I got in school. The teacher was convinced that my dad worked for Nissan. That was not the case. He had owned a gray 88 GXE at the time. Idk, I guess my love for boxy 80's cars started young. So 16 years later, I finally purchased the rectangle on wheel's Ive drawn oh so many times as a youth.

Found the car sitting in Queens in a yard for a few months. Knocked on the door twice, no answer. My best friend's brother calls me a few weeks later asking me if I was still interested. He had went and knocked on the door for me, and got an answer. The guy wanted $450 for the car, said it needed an alternator.

My buddy and I go look at the car two days later. For whatever reason, all of the fuses under the dash were missing. I think the guy had removed them all because of him being cheap. Anyways, we put in 3 fuses to just get the car running. Started right up, ran great.

Last saturday, I went over and bought the car, snuck it home without my dad seeing me unload it. Of course, I knew when he left the house he'd figure out it's mine. I got yelled at for 15 minutes yesterday about it. Since I have 3 other cars. A 84 Supra, a 87 Supra Turbo, And a 87 Turbo 4Runner I need to finish.

You know what, It was totally worth being yelled at. I finally had my first favorite car of my life, 16 years later.

She's a 88 with only 96k miles on her. One spot of rust, and just needs to be buffed and touched up in some spots. So far, I added all of the fuses back today and started the car checking everything. The Alternator is charging fine to me. A/C blows ice cold. The only thing wrong so far, is the power steering is out.

Anyway, here are the photos.

Loading up with my towbar.

First wash

Re: TransAmBandit's 1988 Maxima SE

Can't say I've ever seen one before

I can see why you'd be so enamored with this. I can't put my finger on it, but something about the styling of that car is very intriguing. I'll keep an eye out for a Kaminari kit. :wink:

Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things. And thank you! lol I didnt think anyone would remember my post about the quest to MD to strip the Limo. Haha 8)

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
    Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things.
    I say don't. When they ask why, you say I wanted it. If they ask for more, they don't get it and likely won't ever.

In my family we've had every exotic under the sun, a host of super luxury vehicles and some incredibly cool american classics. Yet it's still odd to everyone but my father why I like classic Japanese cars. He gets it, kind of, not with the cars but the lust. He has a fully restored early 80's grand wagoneer with 20k miles on it.... He get's the love for vehicles you wanted/liked back in the day.

god this car reminds me of my neck of the woods in the early nineties.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouper
    Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things.
    I say don't. When they ask why, you say I wanted it. If they ask for more, they don't get it and likely won't ever.

In my family we've had every exotic under the sun, a host of super luxury vehicles and some incredibly cool american classics. Yet it's still odd to everyone but my father why I like classic Japanese cars. He gets it, kind of, not with the cars but the lust. He has a fully restored early 80's grand wagoneer with 20k miles on it.... He get's the love for vehicles you wanted/liked back in the day.
    Thats one thing I do say. I tell people who ask why I buy the cars I buy, why I love them so much. Ive always liked them as a kid, and I have the chance since I am older to buy them. My dad probably well never understand why I like cars from the past. I try to explain, its the kind of character you get with them. Unlike newer cars that all have the same giant friggen rubber dashboards. My dad used to own these cars in the past when they were somewhat newer and he liked them then. I guess I am also trying to hold onto the nostalgia. I used to see a lot of these cars roaming the streets of NYC as a kid when they were only a few years old.

Quote Originally Posted by terolla
    god this car reminds me of my neck of the woods in the early nineties.
    Would it be Queens NY by chance? I think I met you before at the Forest park Headlight Theory Meet. You had the Cressida on Kosei's right? I was the long hair dude hanging with Chino with his Cressida.

nah actually im referring to washington heights, dominicans back in the days used to love these cars. we havent met yet, thats my boy justin your talking about, but im also a ny rollaz member. im actually trying to pick up a supra like yours. and speaking about supras, the dominicans used to love those too. dying to see your supra in person.

i had one of these 87 floater though, i liked it up untill one morning i started it up and it decided to eat its own bottom end.
    before i bought it the only thing the PO ever did was change the oil semi regularly so it wasnt well taken care of before that and my babying i thing just delayed the inevitable.

was close to 200k mii put about 70k mi on it and a pair of rebulit heads

Same, I really cant explain to people why I have always lusted after these things. And thank you! lol I didnt think anyone would remember my post about the quest to MD to strip the Limo. Haha 8)
    I grabbed the steering wheel and hub adapter from that limo when I saw it. IDK if I've mentioned it anywhere here but of the few Maximas of that vintage I've seen in JYs here 2 of them had the aero kit. Seeing as I now know that somebody is looking for one I'll keep an eye out. I love boxy cars.